elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Band Biography - Pre-order

Go down 
+16
Ted
WOBLEwoble
fadeupyoursmile
sundaygirl
Bright Grey
Stockhaus
Emma G
TamedLamia
erasure
ChrissieInFL
nellie
Hotblack
Glendarian
lucky with disease
Jones
mrswoman
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

New Band Biography - Pre-order Empty
PostSubject: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 20:59

Just noticed this on Amazon. It's a longish lead-in for a pre-order, so plenty of time to put it on your wish list.

Product Description

When Elbow won the Mercury Prize in 2008 for their fourth studio album - "The Seldom Seen Kid" - the accolade followed a 17 year long career marked by four classic albums and a cult following that cast them in the role of Manchester's best kept music secret. Elbow started out at a time when great songs and evocative lyrics were not generally recognised. Their music transcended genre, age and image, eventually finding it's own distinctive global audience as Guy Garvey evolved into one of the most brilliant and intriguing lyricists of recent times. This book charts Elbow's long journey from humble roots through modest success to international recognition. It features interviews with the band and those close to them to form the most complete band history to date.

About the Author
Mick Middles has written about rock music for Sounds and the Manchester Evening News and is the author of several biographies including the critically acclaimed Torn Apart: The Life of Ian Curtis, also published by Omnibus Press as well as books on The Smiths, Oasis, The Stone Roses, Simply Red, Lisa Stansfield and the history of Factory Records.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:11

Yes, I'll be getting my mitts on that, thanks for the tip MrsW!
But dang! I have to wait until September for it???
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:19

mrswoman wrote:
Just noticed this on Amazon. It's a longish lead-in for a pre-order,
Product Description

It features interviews with the band and those close to them to form the most complete band history to date.

Ha! well spotted, do you think Mick Middles has finished wtiting it yet? Wink

Has anyone read any of his other music biographies?
Any good?
He's got on the band wagon at the right time to make a good sell on this.

We had better get our skates on with our elbow history through the eyes of their fans, mrswoman! pirat
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:35

lucky with disease wrote:
mrswoman wrote:
Just noticed this on Amazon. It's a longish lead-in for a pre-order, so plenty of time to put it on your wish list.

Product Description

It features interviews with the band and those close to them to form the most complete band history to date.

Ha! well spotted, do you think Mick Middles has finished wtiting it yet? Wink

Has anyone read any of his other music biographies?
Any good?

We had better get our skates on with our elbow history through the eyes of their fans, mrswoman! pirat
Jones, I know; it's ages! Crying or Very sad

Heh LWD, it did cross my mind about completion. I've never seen something up for pre-order so faroff. As for his other stuff, there's a review of his Factory biog here: Ummm... Neutral
Slaving over a hot keyboard right now - inbetween 'research' of course... Wink
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:46

Sorry I've not been around, I'm over to you soon Smile
I have more time later tomorrow.

Maybe he is still busy with ] this one

[/url][/reviews on The Fall

and more

Last edited by lucky with disease on Tue 31 Mar 2009, 12:55; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2009, 21:55

No worries me dear! I'm just catching up on a few bits. Catch you when you have a min. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 05:57

Ooh thanks for the tip-off MrsW; look forward to that one. LWD and MrsW, sounds like you're cooking up something interesting... Wink
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 07:55

Jones wrote:
..But dang! I have to wait until September for it???

Just in time for the Christmas market (and quite possibly the proposed launch of the new album?).
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 09:01

I have the biog he did of The Smiths, not read it for years though. I seem to remember Morrissey saying none of it was true, but then he always did say that about almost everything ever written about them. We shall just have to see I suppose.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 12:02

Thanks for the tip mrswoman! Hope it's decent, as bios of musicians are sometimes a bit lame (collections of press clippings and interviews with random people, like the gent who runs a cornershop where Pete came in and bought an Orange Tango once). If the "interviews with the band" that are promised turn out to be actual interviews done specifically for this book, it'll be a nice resource of fresh info and insights, but if it's old quotes being rehashed, I'd be quite disappointed.
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 12:34

I just dipped into the Look Insidefor the Mark E Smith book, who he was a pal of so its about him as much as about the Fall. I hope he doesn't write in the same style for the Elbow one. I don't think I would have the patience to read all the flannel and his superior tone.

I'l see what the reviews for the Smiths one are like, Nellie and if there is a 'look inside' for that
Back to top Go down
erasure
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 14:57

If publishing in the UK is anything like publishing in the US, the writing was probably finished last September. It takes several months to get it edited, laid out, printed, and shipped to the warehouse, and then another few months of marketing with advance copies before the book is released from the warehouse to retailers.

I'm going to wait to hear if it's any good before plunking down a big chunk of change on this — not cheap for those of us in the states!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 15:29

An Elbow-Biography? Wow! At last! Hope it won't take to long until it's released... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 16:10

Just pre ordered it. Well- we all need something to look forward to!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 16:23

Tell us what you think of it when you get it, please Emma Smile
Back to top Go down
Emma G
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 16:42

Of course I will!
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar 2009, 22:32

oh i want.
Back to top Go down
Bright Grey
fallen angel
fallen angel
Bright Grey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 01:09

Looks interesting. My gold standard for band bios are my Split Enz and Crowded House books.

But what I'd really like to see is a DVD documentary - I remember Guy saying in an interview once (around the time of LOTFWI think) that the Soup Collective had been following and filming Elbow from the start and if I remember right, they'd even filmed the first Elbow gig. Maybe there'll be a South Bank Show feature some day.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/SeldomSeenVid
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeWed 01 Apr 2009, 22:26

that would be cool. would not surprise if we got something like that soon, maybe with the new album now when they are all famous.

edit: it would be cool if its well and the band is portrayed right
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeThu 02 Apr 2009, 05:15

Bright Grey wrote:
Looks interesting. My gold standard for band bios are my Split Enz and Crowded House books.

Which books are those, Bright Grey? I love the Finns and wonder if I'd be able to track those down as I'd be quite keen to read them.
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 07 Apr 2009, 17:13

I wonder how the band feel about this. I would hate for them to be exploited.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeTue 07 Apr 2009, 17:20

I'm always very wary about "The Unofficial" biography... Because surely, all the information in it is in the public domain. TBH, i read Autobiographies for the voice of the author, if i wanted to find out the history of the person, i could look them up on Wiki.
My favorite autobiography is Margrave of the Marsh!
Salmon of Doubt - Not strictly an autobiography, more a collected works, but so steeped in Adams it is a glory to behold!
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 15:24

thank you mrswoman Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 00:25

Torn Apart is a great read especially if you are a Joy Division nut like myself. Hope this book is good but so long to wait!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitimeWed 07 Oct 2009, 12:51

A bit delayed, but hey: Just had an email from Amazon, saying my pre-ordered copy will arrive by 9th October.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Band Biography - Pre-order   New Band Biography - Pre-order Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Band Biography - Pre-order
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next