elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra

Go down 
+54
weatherhead
allyngibson
oneofthethree
LongLegs
Eag
neil68
redliz2
heshofcheese
Grant
evad
andy_landy
yesman
Cestriansteve
bluefield
HANNAN372
captain pugwash
Tom
sparky
shandylegs
badabing
Mr Woman
MrsMagicalTrevor
ChrissieInFL
evilpixie
mrswoman
Glendarian
ticky
WOBLEwoble
Tailfly
Lynne
Jones
MagicalTrevor
SmilinSkullRing
KieranFunzig
disposablehero
Hotblack
lucky with disease
newborn
Kim
Lillybef
My Bury Vest
gazzmatazz
takemeanywhere
Stockhaus
Honorella
Prestwich Red 143
fadeupyoursmile
nikkijaydee
Emma G
nellie
sundaygirl
al
hilaryg
Misspelt Yoof
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2009, 20:07

You can put as many weird pictures of soap in a bottle as you like, it's still pissing down in Manchester.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2009, 20:21

ok, so I've held back for a few days, had a brief chat with our local friendly admins, and reckon it's okay to post the following link, with the obvious proviso that should management object I'll pull the files.

fairly sure I've (indirectly) passed on some of my other recordings to the band before, and that they were cool with it.. although that was when they were considerably less big than they are now!

or let me put it another way. in the event that this is ever released as a dvd... I will be first in line to buy a copy of that! (well ok... I'll have some pretty good competition from you folks on here to be first in line, but you know what I mean!)

in the meantime, let's share amongst ourselves...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4fc7dad771e3bc91d956df2962098fcbfe57dfa7275a53f6c95965eaa7bc68bc
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2009, 21:02

Thanks Andy, and thanks for checking with me beforehand.

I had a quick listen to these and they are bootleg quality, the boot scene has been around for years, and some people love it. I prefer professional recordings and will live in hope that one comes out of these two amazing gigs, but in the meantime, for those that want them, and until TRC or anyone else objects, please enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jul 2009, 21:30

Thanks again Andy, brilliant quality for a fan recording and great to be able to hear the banter between songs! Would love to know what you used to record it, it sounds too good to be your average device. Surprised
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 01:27

Pete, I can't hear you!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 07:14

actually I'd say the gear is less important than... location location location!

as I wrote earlier, I was just incredibly lucky to get a decent seat. I'd like to think the recording is a fair representation of how it sounded in the middle of the circle.

thanks for the kind words, all... this is something of a hobby of mine, I could wax lyrical on the subject for ages, but I fear I would bore you all Smile suffice it to say I've been doing this for 5 years, and am still learning... always in search of the perfect audience recording!
Back to top Go down
KieranFunzig
fallen angel
fallen angel
KieranFunzig

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jul 2009, 18:22

andy_landy wrote:
actually I'd say the gear is less important than... location location location!
Absolutely, I recorded Zappa Plays Zappa at the Bridgewater from the stalls and the sound was far too echoey. I heard another recording from the circle and it was like a different gig. I know where I want to be sat next I go there.

I was unfortunate not to be able to get tickets for the Halle gigs so thanks very much for sharing this.

BTW I never get bored of talking about the details of gig recording.
bounce
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jul 2009, 22:42

andy_landy wrote:
in the meantime, let's share amongst ourselves...

Thank you so much! While it's not CD quality, the sound is as I remember it - just like being there again. Wonderful!
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 10:04

yes thank you!
It's lovely to be able to relive it I love you
Is there any definitive news about a DVD release or anything .I did have a good look round when I was there ..if there were cameras recording it they were very well hidden Suspect or my eyes getting worse Laughing
Back to top Go down
neil68
fallen angel
fallen angel
neil68

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 11:42

redliz2 wrote:
..if there were cameras recording it they were very well hidden Suspect or my eyes getting worse Laughing

as it was relayed live, then I'm sure it was recorded cyclops

and thanks for the recordings
Back to top Go down
KieranFunzig
fallen angel
fallen angel
KieranFunzig

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 20:47

Having listened to the recording I don't think anyone in the audience would have got a better one.

As if I wasn't envious enough already - what a gig! I am struck by the difference in arrangements between this and the Abbey Road/BBC gig. Imaginitive use of the brass and the lovely extended variations - superb!
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jul 2009, 21:25

Once again, andy_landy, many thanks for a happy memories of a great concert!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 18:51

Has everyone watched the Culture Show? I didn't like that prissy "classically trained" blond bimbo...but wasn't Guy cute??? drunken
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 19:19

Oh I forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder, will catch it on iPlayer when they put it up. Smile
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 19:36

I could see where she was coming from...especially from the clip of rehearsals they showed on the programme of Grounds for Divorce with choir and anticipated audience participation handclapping , it did seem more of Guy Elbow's show there, where it was called a 'Collaboration of Elbow and the Halle'.

I'll have to watch again on iplayer when its put there to remember what else she said, but I was thinking she was making valid points as I watched at the time.

Thought mention might have been made on the show of the history of Rock bands collaborating or using orchestras since the 60s, in the context of this event, unless that was at the beginning of the item? I did miss the first few minutes.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 22:11

Goddamned iPlayer not working in Canada!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul 2009, 22:18

Let's hope for you that mrswoman will work her magic on Ning.
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 23:49

Quick question (to save scanning through all these pages) - what was the setlist played? I'm assuming it was the same both nights?
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 07:34

Eag wrote:
Quick question (to save scanning through all these pages) - what was the setlist played? I'm assuming it was the same both nights?

Yep, it was the same both nights.

Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 5572_204315730087_677315087_7712990_4451373_n
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 10:16

Thanks for indulging the idle among us, Kim Smile

That list looks stellar - "Friend of Ours" must have been a surprise but thinking about it it must've been the perfect opportunity to play it.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 11:48

Eag wrote:
Thanks for indulging the idle among us, Kim Smile

That list looks stellar - "Friend of Ours" must have been a surprise but thinking about it it must've been the perfect opportunity to play it.

No problem, Eag. Smile It was absolutely amazing! Having Great Expectations, Friend Of Ours and Powder Blue back to back was incredibly emotional, I cried like a baby. Embarassed

Check out andy_landy's post a page back for the link to his recordings of the whole night. Fantastic quality, sounds just like it did in the hall!!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 11:08

Actually, 'Switching Off' did me in.
And 'Weather to Fly' of course, but that was expected! Razz
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 11:13

It was the trio of Newborn, Great Expectations & Friend Of Ours one after each other that cracked me.......I swear I've never heard such brilliant songs back to back at any gig I've ever been to. The 2-3 days after the gig felt so empty after being to the 2 shows........had to give myself a pep talk and say 'it's only music yer daft sod, you've a ton of work to get through !' Mad
Back to top Go down
sundaygirl
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Female Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 11:15

Great Expectationas. As usual.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 16:09

Having heard the files posted by andy_landy (three big cheers for him, BTW! cheers ), I have to say it sounded amazing in the extreme. Only downside is, now the upcoming show in Atlanta might suffer by comparison! Been listening to the grand finale of One Day Like This, with the orchestra and choir and crowd all joined in, and with those Town Hall bells giein' it laldy...man, how can you top that??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra   Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra - Page 25 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow & The Hallé Orchestra
Page 25 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next