elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Siouxsie Sioux

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Siouxsie Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Siouxsie Sioux   Siouxsie Sioux Icon_minitimeWed 04 Mar 2009, 11:43

Following on from revisiting some old Banshees stuff, I finally got round to getting her solo album, Mantaray, which came out in 2007.

I didn't really know what to expect, but it is actually really terrific. You could perhaps sum the record up as Goldfrapp blended with Banshees (although this does Mantaray a disservice). There are definate echoes from her musical past, not surprising considering how distinctive her voice is, and a real Goldfrappy feel to many of the songs, both in the glammy stomp of the opening tracks and the rhythms and moods of the closing tracks.

On the negative side, I feel the record does sag a little in the middle after a storming start, but it finishes really strongly - the final track is truly uplifting. I also like the fact that the album takes you on a musical and thematic journey, the tracks seem to have been sequenced very deliberately.

Anyone else heard Mantaray? If not, you might like to check it out on LastFM or something.

It is quite ironic that the so called queen of the ultimate youth movement, punk, is gracefully producing some of her best work as she enters her sixth decade tending roses in the south of France.
Back to top Go down
Dr Evil
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Siouxsie Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Re: Siouxsie Sioux   Siouxsie Sioux Icon_minitimeSun 08 Mar 2009, 11:38

I saw her on television recently and she sounded a bit rough-but she is a legend and everyone has an off-day.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Siouxsie Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Re: Siouxsie Sioux   Siouxsie Sioux Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 14:15

Well on this album her voice is definately "smokey" and her approach still unorthodox, but it all sounds good to these ears. In fact on the track "Here Comes That Day" her performance is akin to Shirley Bassey with a loaded gun.

By the way Mrs K hates the album (and she likes some of the Banshees more gothy stuff) - she says that it is "witchy" music and when it's on the stereo she can't think straight, it messes her head up. I think Siouxsie would quite like that!
Back to top Go down

Siouxsie Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Re: Siouxsie Sioux   Siouxsie Sioux Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2009, 13:12

Siouxsie Sioux. Easy on the eye, not so easy on the ear.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Siouxsie Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Re: Siouxsie Sioux   Siouxsie Sioux Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar 2009, 11:20

I've never heard her or the Banshees... but yeah, very nice to look at. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Siouxsie Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Re: Siouxsie Sioux   Siouxsie Sioux Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Siouxsie Sioux
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: