elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Manchester Gig

Go down 
+6
Tinwal
Topaz
MrsMagicalTrevor
Dabamash
ChrissieInFL
MagicalTrevor
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008, 18:11

I'm off up to the Academy now! Will report back later...
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008, 22:06

Too tired now but it was mint...more tomorrow
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeSun 13 Apr 2008, 23:27

Nice! Always up for a report from the field...y'all are getting me reeeeally stoked for Chicago!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 09:37

OK, last night I really discovered what I love about this band.

First off, the sound was amazing. After the muddiness of Björk on Friday this was a breath of fresh air. I noticed an engineer in the crowd taking readings on a tablet PC mid gig...Never seen that before but I assume he was checking the sound in different parts of the building. I stood in 2 different places and the sound was the same in both, utterly amazing.

Great setlist, happy with that, more or less the same as has already been reported. Guy's voice on perfect form, all others performing brilliantly also.

Richard Hawley made an appearance, on "The Fix" (obviously) and also "Grace Under Pressure". Was stonkingly mad on the guitar too, much to Paul's amusement. Funniest line of the night (for me) was Rich saying "Give this band the clap they deserve". I don't know if he was trying to be funny or not, but it made me laugh anyway.

"Grounds For Divorce" sounded evil...superb version.

"Station Approach" was as good as ever, but highlighted by everyone in the venue waving at Guy's mum as he sang "I haven't seen my mum for weeks" - she looked chuffed and overcome with pride.

"Newborn" culminated in the wall of beautiful noise I have come to love everytime I see them.

What a great night! The Academy has improved also, toilets now indoors and working (yay) bar looks good, feels much better getting out.

Nasty rain turning to hail as we left but didn't dampen my enthusiasm for on of the best live acts I have seen. Top marks boys!
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 09:53

Sounded great, wish I was there Sad
Back to top Go down
MrsMagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MrsMagicalTrevor

Female Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 10:26

It was alright I suppose... my knee hurt alot Sad
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 11:35

Thanks for the review!

I'm getting so psyched to see them this month.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 13:51

Not too many things as sweet as a hometown gig - they were bound to put on an awesome show there! Glad to hear it was so good, though I wish I could've been there too. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 13:54

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Not too many things as sweet as a hometown gig - they were bound to put on an awesome show there! Glad to hear it was so good, though I wish I could've been there too. Thanks!

Well, I wish I could have said the same about Badly Drawn Boy at the same venue in 2000. Without a shadow of a doubt the worst gig I have ever been to, and the only one I have ever left halfway through.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:08

Really? Wow, bummer...I like him, too. Sad
Back to top Go down
Tinwal
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:30

Great Gig.
Sound was great. Most bands I have seen at this venue have sounded really muffled and dead but this was very clear. I was by the bar in the hall for most of the night with my partner and a friend. My friend had not heard much of the 'bow before the gig but was pleasantly impressed, especially with Guys voice. The new songs sound great! The trumpets in Starlings were brilliant. Guy and Pete seemed to be trying to out trumpet each other! Very funny. It was a delight to see Mr Hawley. He was making some great sounds on that guitar! Especially on the intro to The Fix. Grounds For Divorce did sound more sinister live than on record. Crane Driver was excellent. I have noticed people have said that it is a highlight and I totally agree. A surprising highlight for myself was Red. The drumming is fantastic and the guitar's really kick in giving it a rockier edge. In fact, in the live mix Mark's guitars seem to be more prominant and you can really appreciate his playing. Pete seems to be playing a small keyboard/ bass synth thingy quite often. His playing on Leaders was great (Guy forgot to kick in a pedal for the solo and the band started laughing). Lot's of laughs from Guy. There seems to be an on going joke about introducing the band members and forgetting Pete only for him to shout "Pete Turner on Bass!". Cue some of the biggest applause of the night. Pete also got Mr Hawley to sing happy birthday to his sister!

Great Band, great night.

"Ladies and Gentleman! Please can I introduce the most talented band in Manchester and Pete Turner! It's Elbow!" - Cohesion Festival, Manchester, 2007.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 14:46

Nice summing up, lots of things I had forgotten to mention. One thing I noticed is the way Guy played the lead guitar on Leaders (when he remembers to hit the pedal that is Wink ). He was plucking the strings almostlike a bass...very odd, but very cool.

Also, I think (but I can't be certain) that the trumpets were mimed (many apologies if I am wrong!) cos they didn't play into mikes, and it's a swine of an instrument to learn just to play one note...I felt like this was for visual effect only. Worked for me though.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 15:00

I'm glad to hear you guys are loving this show as much as I did Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 15:01

jonny, had no idea you were there! Would have thought you'd have gone to Sheffield gig. Should have met up!
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 15:06

Ooh I wasn't, just referring to them as the same show since it was the same set and all, oops!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 15:22

ahhh...makes more sense now
Back to top Go down
bennyhana22
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 9

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 17:56

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Nice summing up, lots of things I had forgotten to mention. One thing I noticed is the way Guy played the lead guitar on Leaders (when he remembers to hit the pedal that is Wink ). He was plucking the strings almostlike a bass...very odd, but very cool.

Also, I think (but I can't be certain) that the trumpets were mimed (many apologies if I am wrong!) cos they didn't play into mikes, and it's a swine of an instrument to learn just to play one note...I felt like this was for visual effect only. Worked for me though.

Nobody REALLY thinks they were playing the trumpets, do they? DO THEY?! Come on people, behave! Rolling Eyes

Ben
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 17:59

Depends on how big the venue was, whether they would have needed trumpet microphones or not. Still, no they probably weren't playing them.
Back to top Go down
bennyhana22
newborn
newborn

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 20:07

Dabamash wrote:
Depends on how big the venue was, whether they would have needed trumpet microphones or not. Still, no they probably weren't playing them.

Am I the victim of a clever late April Fool's or something?! They SO were not playing those brass instruments! The venue size is irrelevant, the presence or absence of microphones ditto. They just weren't!!!!!

B
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeMon 14 Apr 2008, 20:11

Chill.
Back to top Go down
noisebox
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 14:04

Dabamash wrote:
I have it on good authority that they are playing the trumpets at the gigs. As to whether they are playing into the mic or not - that maybe to do with whether or not they hit the note properly...
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeTue 15 Apr 2008, 14:57

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr 2008, 07:42

noisebox wrote:
I have it on good authority that they are playing the trumpets at the gigs.

Really?? It certainly doesn't look it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
bennyhana22
newborn
newborn

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr 2008, 15:07

Hotblack wrote:
noisebox wrote:
I have it on good authority that they are playing the trumpets at the gigs.

Really?? It certainly doesn't look it.

That's because they're not! Someone has it on BAD authority!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr 2008, 15:22

They may be playing them, but as they are not mic'ed up, the chances are they aren't playing them very well...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Manchester Gig Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Gig   Manchester Gig Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manchester Gig
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: