elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bruce Springsteen!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SmilinSkullRing
friend of ours
friend of ours
SmilinSkullRing

Female Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008, 04:55

He's awesome. My number one artist. Anyone here like him? Oh, and happy halloween from Bruce! Go to his website to watch the video (it's great, believe me) and get the free download of the song. Twisted Evil

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.smilinskullring.blogspot.com
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun 2011, 13:27

Sad news - Clarence Clemons has died aged 69. RIP Big Man.
Back to top Go down
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul 2011, 18:28

I'm also a Bruce fan, I especially like his older albums + the album ''Tunnel Of Love' which I love very much (it's underrated in my opinion).
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitimeWed 07 Mar 2012, 12:29

Wrecking Ball.

The Boss is angry, no doubt. Raging is fact, and rage might lead to great albums sometimes, but rarely subtle ones. Wrecking Ball is not subtle. The songs bludgeon as Bruce rails against injustice and inequality. He has visited similar landscapes before - The River did it better and more thoughtfully, for instance, and Nebraska more subtly. What seems to be lost is the human element, the small time characters that used to inhabit The Boss's songs are not much more than ciphers on Wrecking Ball. There's no doubting the raw power of such declamatory outbursts, but I feel I'm being preached to somewhat.

A couple of other things also stand out. Despite the rabble-rousing and fury, despair and futility are often just a step behind - lyrics such as "If I had me a gun I'd find the bastards and shoot 'em on sight" and "Hard times come, Hard times go - Yeah just to come again" give things a desperate edge. Then there's the religious overtones of the second half of the album. I have nothing against a good old spiritual singalong, despite being an atheist myself, but here whilst sometimes sounding great, these concluding tracks seem slightly disingenuous, or perhaps it is just that actually life is gonna be shit for many in working class America for the foreseeable future, so they'd better all just look forward to the afterlife!

There certainly seems to be little doubt that Springsteen still identifies with his roots, and Wrecking Ball is a sincere cry in the darkness. Unfortunately it is rather unfocussed, the strokes a little too broad, too simplistic to make a this one of his better albums. Musically the album is Bruce in cinematic Rock n Roll mode, but the same comments apply - too broad, lacking a little focus and subtlety.

If I seem to be damning Wrecking Ball with faint praise, then that is not really my intention. I am enjoying it - it is a big bold brash slice of Americana with its heart in the right place. The songs will probably sound great at this summer's gigs. I just wish that it was a little less bombastic, a little less obvious at times.

Still at least he is saying something. It is a pretty poor state of affairs when it takes a 62 year old to voice the discontent of millions. Where are the rest of the protest songs from anyone remotely mainstream FFS? Is political music dead?
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitimeWed 07 Mar 2012, 13:12

Fantastic review Mr K, despite never owning a Springsteen album, EVER !

Seen the band on TV at the festivals, they look brilliant live.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitimeFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:08

Just to add to my thoughts above. A few more listens have altered my feelings slightly. The despair and anger are there, true, but a defiance also shines through - a kind of call to arms, not in a party political sense but in cry for common decency, which makes me really rather emotional. This works best on the title track where Springsteen uses the demolition of the Giants stadium as a symbol linking his (or his character's) past to the present, lamenting the crumbling of dreams and loss of youth, despairing at the hard times which keep on coming but squaring up to it all exhorting us to "Hold tight to your anger, and don't fall to your fear" and crying out "Come on and take your best shot, let me see what you've got, Bring on your wrecking ball". As subtle as a Dodge Charger and about as exciting. As raging against the dying of the light goes, it is a bloody magnificent effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bruce Springsteen! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bruce Springsteen!   Bruce Springsteen! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bruce Springsteen!
Page 1 of 1