elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Frank Zappa

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeWed 15 Oct 2008, 18:07

Thought I might mention FZ here. There's a ton of bands and singers that I'm into and Zappa is one of those giants of music who I really dig.

Impossible to quantify, his music covered so many genres (and I hate pigeon-holing artists anyway), from rock to jazz to fusion to avant garde to classical - and he even had his poppier moments, too. Lyrically, some of the material is a bit suspect but if your sense of humour is in place it's unlikely you'll find anything offensive in his ouvre.

Like a lot of what I listen to, my journey to Zappa was started by another band (Genesis - their touring drummer, Chester Thompson, used to play with Zappa's Mothers Of Invention) and has also led me onto other artists like Jean Luc Ponty and Captain Beefheart.

His music lives on in the albums he's left us (I'm reminded of Frank Sinatra dying and the only person interviewed who didn't seem sad was BB King, who was genuinely happy that Sinatra had left so much good work for us to enjoy and through which Sinatra would continue to remain with us) and also thorugh his son, Dweezil, who tours his Zappa Plays Zappa show using musicians from Zappa's various line-ups.

Anyway, that's my little recommendation to my fellow forum members to have a listen to FZ. Impossible to say where to start as his albums are all over the place. If you like avant garde music and are prepared to be challenged, try Weasels Ripped My Flesh or Absolutely Free. If you prefer a good, pithy tune, you'll find plenty on Sheik Yerbouti and Overnite Sensation. If a good concept album is your thing and you enjoy the odd instrumental work-out along with accessible tunes and stuff that's more left-of-centre, have a listen to Joe's Garage.

I thank you!
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 19:04

I've been meaning to investigate Zappa due to two connections from my knowledge so far - one of them being the same Genesis one as yours, Chester Thompson being his drummer and the other being his relationship with Captain Beefheart.

Alas, nothing yet! I'll be digging in soon enough, though, I reckon.
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 19:50

My wife bought me the Roxy And Elsewhere album a few years back, Jonny, specifically for the double drum section Collins spoke of. It's on the track More Trouble Every Day and is one of the greatest drum fills ever played in my opinion. You'll have heard it on 'live' versions of Afterglow in the second-to-last bar of the song. It's arguably at its best, though, when Chester and Ralph Humphrey play it on the Zappa album.

Let me know when you choose to dig; I'd be interested in hearing what you think (my bet is you're going to like what you hear).
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 19:54

I know well the fill you speak of, it flummoxed me for a long time! How do they go so fast with both hands, I'd think. But now I've aced it! Very Happy

Don't worry, once I start listening to the Mothers I'll rave about it, I'm sure. Wink
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitimeThu 16 Oct 2008, 22:14

My boyfriend's really into Zappa. He's got just about all of his stuff. I like the music, it's pretty entertaining and fun actually, just not a hard core fan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa
Page 1 of 1