elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oasis

Go down 
+15
Paulo Paulo
allyngibson
My Bury Vest
Mr Woman
mrswoman
ChrissyBoy
Alison
heshofcheese
leespoons
Jonny
Leo
Mr_K
MagicalTrevor
Topaz
Misspelt Yoof
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 10:19

a few gems from Noel in this article..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_7674000/7674743.stm

Do you have any rituals before you go onstage?

Yes of course. We slaughter goats and fry mushrooms. No we've seen that happen, bands doing the band hug and all that. The first band we ever saw do that was Travis and we were like what the f*** are they doing? They all got in a huddle and did a little jig. We've never been ones for that. We never even wish each other good luck on the way up to the stairs to the stage. We're northern men. We enjoy ourselves in silence and suffer in silence.

etc etc Laughing
Back to top Go down

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Oct 2008, 16:24

What a plank. "We're northern men" - what are Travis then?

Wish I had someone to hug before I went onstage. I have to use backing music (because a big band is beyond my funds) so hugging a minidisc player just isn't quite the same.

That remark of Noel's though is just do much macho b/s. As I say, everytime he opens his mouth (and he can always be counted on to come out with some "controversial" comment any time his band have an album out or are on the road) it's hard not to dislike him.
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 08:24

Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 09:45

Thousands at Stafford V smelled a rat when Liam sounded perfectly fine on the Saturday, then cancelled Chelmsford the next day due to 'viral laryngitis'. They might have done the first (last?!) show for more 'Northern' fans, but bombing off any of their fans at all shows a piss-poor lack of respect for those who keep them in that lauded lifestyle. MGMT called it right!

The first two albums are classics, but I'm not a die-hard fan. How long can a band keep up churning out self-pastiche, flouncing off-stage and short-changing your 'customers' ?
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009, 10:48

I really hope that Oasis disband completely now, and good riddance - but what's the betting they lurch on embarrassingly for a while like the Stone Roses did after John Squire and Alan Wren left? Oasis are Liam's band, remember?

I wouldn't even bet against some kind of reconciliation between the Gallaghers once things have cooled down a bit: It wouldn't be the first time.

Comeback gigs next summer, anyone? That would be cynical in the extreme, but the lager-swilling hordes would lap it up unquestioningly for one more "Singalongawonderwall"
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Sep 2009, 10:32

There was no bigger Oasis fan 'back in the day' than me but since the poor Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants I've been a distant observer.

It doesn't sadden me, maybe Noel should hit the comedy circuit doing stand up, the guys got a talent there.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 03:08

So, Oasis 2.0 -- Beady Eye -- has launched with Different Gear, Still Speeding.

I wasn't especially taken with "Bring the Light," the free single they offered a few months ago. It sounded like the massed Oasis sonic attack applied to a Jerry Lee Lewis song, and while it wasn't uninteresting, it also wasn't very memorable. But it did give rise to the feeling that Beady Eye was just going to be Oasis 2.0; all the pieces except Noel.

"Bring the Light" is, to be perfectly honest, atypical of the album.

Different Gear is a much "lighter" album than I was expecting. There are a few big production numbers, but by and large it's straight-ahead four-piece guitar rock, and it's the lighter songs like "For Anyone" or "The Roller" that stick in the mind when the album's done.

Oasis was famous for their "lifts," and Beady Eye continues the tradition. (By the way, "Whatever" doesn't rip off George Martin; the song is a lift from Neil Innes.) One song has a melody that comes straight from ELO's "Telephone Line," and another song sounds like it was written by Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne. "Beatles and Stones" sounds, ironically, like a Who song. In places, I think I also detect a Badfinger influence.

I expect Noel's solo debut will far outstrip this, but if you were at all into Oasis, it's not a bad album by any stretch. Different Gear isn't as revolutionary as some of Oasis' work, but it's not a total travesty to their legacy, either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
Paulo Paulo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 23:16

It always made me laugh that Oasis were always called Beatles clones because in reality they sounded more like Slade (but Slade weren't cool enough to name-drop!)

As for their output, I think the first 2 albums were great and their best songs were often consigned to B-sides.

Overrated though for sure, and I think they'll be looked back upon as such in time. Like Slade.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 21:10

allyngibson wrote:

I expect Noel's solo debut will far outstrip this, but if you were at all into Oasis, it's not a bad album by any stretch. Different Gear isn't as revolutionary as some of Oasis' work, but it's not a total travesty to their legacy, either.

I rather like different gears to be honest... don't do anything i didnt expect, but i think liam has shown a certain ability to stand on his own two feet, with a little help from his friends... there's certainly a lot worse and less meaningful out there to listen too... <cough> simon cowell </cough>

agree that i "expect" noel's solo work to outstrip, musically...
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Aug 2011, 16:27

So, Noel's been busy.

I bought the "Death of Me and You" single last week, and today KROQ has up "If I Had a Gun" on their website. I've heard parts of this song before, there's a soundcheck recording of an unfinished version of it from one of Oasis' last tours.

"If I Had a Gun" is reminiscent of some of the work on Dig Out Your Soul. The song conveys a sense of unrequited longing, and I find it unexpectedly haunting. The one quibble I have is that I feel it needs an orchestral swell. Otherwise, it's quite a compelling song.

Definitely looking forward to the album in two months. Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct 2011, 00:01

Noel Gallagher in honest self-assessment shocker!!!

In a recent issue of Rolling Stone, there was a new music roundup, which included the new album by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. Noel is quoted as follows:

"I've got a certain style, and I've got no control over what I write. I'm not technically proficient enough to attempt all kinds of music. I wish I could write a fucking record like [the Stooges'] Raw Power, [Pink Floyd's] Wish You Were Here - or have the ability of a musical chameleon. But fuck it, I can't."

At last - the bluster, bravado and BS gives way to the painful reality that many others already sussed out for themselves ages ago. Well done, sir, well done. *clap* *clap* *clap* Laughing
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct 2011, 00:12

Not sure it's fair to say Noel being honest is a shocker.

He's many things, some desirable attributes and some not, but I think he has ALWAYS been honest.

His brother less so.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Oct 2011, 13:16

High Flying Birds.

First listen - meh.
Second listen - Ok, actually, there's a couple of songs I quite like.
Third listen - Yup, I like it. Nothing particularly original, but you know, this is a very enjoyable record. Much better than I'd expected. Kind of like a wiser, but still good Oasis. Fancy that. Still a rubbish lyricist at times, mind, but a good old-fashioned songwriter all the same. No 1 UK album, too, keeping the X-Factor winner off top spot. What with the football last weekend, it has not been a bad week for Noel, all told.

Mrs K's loving it too.

Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Oct 2011, 18:12

....its definately a grower. I really like it, more so than i have more recent Oasis stuff.

yes, the tunes and riffs are all bits/pieces of the softer Oasis that we've heard somewhere before but somehow they play out into a pretty decent album.

Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Oct 2011, 20:23

On a slightly related note - the Creation Records story is on BBC 4 now.

Blimey, JAMC made a glorious, unholy racket! Oh, the memories....
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Nov 2011, 10:46

Noel Gallagher live on the red button tonight to view, at 9pm in the UK.

Think I'll be tuning in.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Nov 2011, 13:04

My Bury Vest wrote:
Noel Gallagher live on the red button tonight to view, at 9pm in the UK.

Think I'll be tuning in.

while everyone was focused on manchester last thursday, i was at usher hall in edinburgh for the high flying birds... one of the top 3 gigs i've been too... if its half as good it will be one of the best red button show's to see...
Back to top Go down
seamiedev
little beast
little beast
seamiedev

Male Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2011-10-31

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 03 Nov 2011, 18:24

can't wait for the show tonight, i see there's recording of the edinburgh gig up on live4ever and also on the bigbrotherrecordings blog......... going to see NGsHFBs next Feb. in Dublin, can't wait .................
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Nov 2011, 02:10

I listened to part of Noel Gallagher's Radio 2 concert tonight, but then I had to leave the office for the day. I'll search for it later to hear the whole thing. I thought it was... okay. The audio quality was merely adequate; a lot of things sounded muffled.

The German edition of High Flying Birds comes with a bonus track, "Alone on a Rope." I can't find the real thing on YouTube (it was officially posted for a few days at the beginning of October and then pulled), but this fan remix gives a good impression of the sound. The official version sounds positively Elbow-esque, specifically Asleep in the Back era Elbow. I hear a little bit of "Red," a little bit of "Powder Blue."

Next week, we finally get the album here in the US. Finally! Smile

It's not like I haven't heard it -- the whole thing streamed on Gallagher's website a few weeks ago. It's just the waiting. Bah.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Nov 2011, 07:39

seamiedev wrote:
can't wait for the show tonight, i see there's recording of the edinburgh gig up on live4ever and also on the bigbrotherrecordings blog......... going to see NGsHFBs next Feb. in Dublin, can't wait .................

didnt know those two websites... i'm off to google them, thanx! Edinboro was a great gig, one of the highlights of my gig going career in terms of performance from the people on stage. the positive thing, i think for him, is that from what i've seen his new stuff is getting equal and positive responses from the crowd as compared to the old stuff...
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Nov 2011, 13:23

Yeah, I watched an hour of it last night, thought that was quite enough really.....

Clearly, and by Noel's own admission, he aint a front man.......his own material last night sounded just alright to me, very much like Beady Eye's - it doesn't touch me like the early Oasis songs. Shame really, as I love the tone of his voice...

I'm expecting the 2nd album due out next year to be far more interesting, it certainly sounds miles more experimental than the first edition of NGHFB.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Nov 2011, 23:00

...Wait. Noel has LP2 already planned for next year?

YESSSSS.

I normally wouldn't come in here (as I really can't stand Oasis at all), but the talk about NGHFB caught my attention. As much as I don't like Oasis, I love Noel's album SO MUCH. ARGH. <3
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 04 Nov 2011, 23:50

NeonChoir wrote:
...Wait. Noel has LP2 already planned for next year?
Not only is it planned, it's been recorded, too. Smile

Noel worked with Amorphous Androgynous (the psychedelic remix duo who did a 26-minute long remix of Oasis' "Falling Down") to record an experimental album. Noel's described it as Dark Side of the Moon-like. It's going to take a couple of songs from High Flying Birds, plus a lot of new material, and create something new and different and trippy.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 05 Nov 2011, 01:07

Oh, yeah! A friend of mine from another forum told me about that. I had forgotten. Thanks for reminding me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 15:54

My Bury Vest wrote:
Yeah, I watched an hour of it last night, thought that was quite enough really.....

Clearly, and by Noel's own admission, he aint a front man.......

he seemed to be keeping himself in check on thursday night, seemed a lot more subdued compared to the previous thursday at usher hall - as if he knew it was going out on the beeb so was being a good boy. plus, it was a small band of randoms in the crowd and the feedback was nothing compared to 2000 slightly merry scots (and me!)...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oasis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oasis   Oasis - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oasis
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: