elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WEM-BER-LEE

Go down 
+28
Cozzer
josephblack
mozo
tomo28
fadeupyoursmile
evilpixie
russycarps
Mrs Soft
Stockhaus
Kim
lapitu
comalley2007
Dabamash
Alison
al
lucky with disease
ElbowFreak
ladytubedriver
ChrissyBoy
wozza
Grant
Jones
Emma G
MagicalTrevor
Jonny
mrswoman
Hotblack
Misspelt Yoof
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
comalley2007
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-17

WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jan 2009, 13:04

Hi all

Grand tier (lower tier) seating tickets for Wembley for sale on Ticketmaster right now.

Let me know if you get any! Thanks.

Christian
Back to top Go down
Stockhaus
friend of ours
friend of ours
Stockhaus

Female Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009, 10:50

my tickets arrived today
I was truly surprised because i usually end up not getting tickets from ticketmaster like a few days before the gig or not at all because i live in sweden.
a nice surprise for me who is home coughing and not feeling well at all.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009, 15:52

That's great!
I haven't received mine yet but it's too early to panic I guess...
Hope you're feeling better soon!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jan 2009, 20:14

Tix arrived today !!!
Party!
Back to top Go down
comalley2007
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Standing tickets   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 04 Feb 2009, 13:36

....are available at ticketmaster.co.uk.

Let me know if you get any!!

Christian
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 13:11

Doors at 18:00 according to an e-mail from See.
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2009, 20:14

How long is the queue? Goodness...

"Where were you when they were shit" etc
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2009, 22:58

A. Maze. Ing.

See you next Summer in the Stadium.

More when I'm not on my phone!
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 14 Mar 2009, 23:08

Its already over? I knew we could have bloody got the last train home! Ah well, look forward to a write up when everyone's home Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 00:38

Elbow were incredible tonight. The band were as tight as I have ever heard them. They are an arena band, they absoloutely flourished in that setting tonight. The band were born to play gigs this big and bigger.

The set list ran like this...
Starlings
The Bones Of You
Mirrorball
Leaders of the Free World
The Stops
The Fix
Mexican Standoff
Forget Myself
Grounds For Divorce
The Lonliness of a Tower Crane Driver
Switching Off
Newborn
Weather To Fly
One Day Like This
---
Some Riot
Station Approach
Scattered Black and Whites

I'm fairly sure the gig was being recorded for a future DVD release.

Before Newborn Guy had the crowd sing a line which was recorded for potential inclusion on the next album...
Quote :
Dear friends who I love so much more than you'll ever know. Old friends who I love so much more than you'll ever know.

Richard Hawley said it was "probably the last gig I'll ever play with the band".

The most spectacular display of ticker-tape I have ever seen during One Day Like This. I couldn't help but think back to that night at Porchester Hall a year ago where they first played it live and Guy taught us the chorus so we could sing along. Who'd of guessed what the next 12 months would bring?
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 01:44

Once I'd got my head round all those, so many people, and the bigness...was really great experience!
Took a few video clips with my little camera of the different visuals on the big screens, and my view from my seat of the thousands of tops of heads below.
Can't quite believe what I did when I came out into the corridor/bars area after ...was quite near where Guy's family were coming out...I recognised Guy's mum... complimented her on her son, was a bit overwhelmed by it all, and gave her a hug...I hope she didn't mind Embarassed

Also got a kiss from I Am Kloot, Pete Jobson on the way out Smile

All the special limited edition Wembley T shirts sold out. There were some special Wembley posters from Ollie on sale too.

And Amy, Jote, Stella and Margit played a strings interlude on a little stage in front of the mixing desk before the Acorn came on, which included Not a job, Puncture repair, Picky bugger, and ...Asleep in the back Very Happy

Last edited by lucky with disease on Tue 17 Mar 2009, 10:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : (corrected spelling of names))
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 08:10

Oh please... wake up everybody...
Pictures, videos.... Very Happy PLEASE!!!!!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 09:35

Hi Elbowfreak, theres a few videos appearing on youtube already....search elbow-wembley
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Mrs Soft
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 10:16

Its looking like a beautiful day!

What a night too, Mr Soft and I went to see our favourite band at Wembley and were totally blown away. We were not sure how the band would transfer to such a large arena after seeing them in more intimate venues but they were amazing. Guy's stage presence was great, the light show was fantastic and the pre-recorded Mexican Stand Off film was brilliant.

We got there early and staked a place close to the front, we did have to move bacK a few rows after the group of girls next to us would not shut up (why do people do that?) and then Mrs Crooner and her out of time husband managed to stand behind us. Give her credit for knowing every word but boy her voice was horrific!

The explosion of ticker tape and sparkly stuff during 'One Day Like This' just capped the whole night. Love them, Love them, Love them (Loving Guy the most!).
Back to top Go down
russycarps
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 10:31

it was fantastic and they handled the bigger venue supremely well.

I would have to say though, the bigger venue in no way compares to the smaller venues (the festival hall gig will never be bettered), bu tI suppose that's the case for all bands. I too was stood next to some people who insisted on chatting through every song not on SSK. I guess that's the price you pay when your favourite band becomes popular and a bunch of "new fans" start attending gigs!

I was also a little bit disappointed with the setlist. No major surpises (the stops was BRILLIANT though).

and NO POWDER BLUE! Gutted! it's been so long since I've seen them do that
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 13:44

Thank fuck for youtube!!! And fans filming such an amacing event!!! Very Happy

Seeing Elbow on the video walls is soooo cool!!! Argh, finally! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 14:16

What a great gig!!! Wembley can be such a souless place and yet they managed to fill the place with love. It's not the first time Elbow have played an arena though. As Guy pointed out, they once played Bury Skating Arena.
Would have liked to have seen, rather than just heard the string quartet play their versions of some great Elbow songs as Asleep In The Back is a particular favourite of mine. We managed to bag a good spot near the barrier despite arriving later than planned (due to needing a puncture repair), but that meant we couldn't see the other stage.
The Acorn put on a good show and the crowd warmed to them nicely. I hope they go on to do as well as The Fleet Foxes.
There may not have been any major surprises for anyone who had seen one of Elbow's recent gigs but that doesn't mean there wasn't anything special about the Wembley show. There was a new intro to Starlings to accompany the visual spectacle of a flock of starlings bursting out of 'The Cube'. Live and pre-recorded videos were projected onto the cross shaped screen behind the band, with Mexican Standoff being a work of genius. Couldn't get any photos that did the show justice but here's a few Miss EP took.

WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Img_3217
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Img_3218
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Img_3219
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Img_3220
WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Img_3221

Last edited by evilpixie on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 14:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 14:34

Wow, have you been in the first row? Looks like that!
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 14:37

ElbowFreak wrote:
Wow, have you been in the first row? Looks like that!

A very kind gent let Miss EP do some barrier hugging during the encore.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 15:59

I agree with Stockhaus, although i don't think most bands are not made for Arenas, more that most arenas are the worst place to hear bands. The bigger venues i've been to lack atmosphere and acoustics, it's to easy for people to mill around and talk destroying any of the quieter moments. I also don't begrudge Elbow their success, it really is about bloody time, but i don't think they'd be suited to playing the SECC or O2, it's to impersonal, and Elbow's music is anything but that. Glad the people that went had a good time, but i'll still keep holding out to catch them in smaller venues.
Back to top Go down
tomo28
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 18:22

well they did finally play wembley arena last night.. It was a great show at a very bad venue. Elbow pulled it off and it felt
intimate and for 2 hours i forgot i was in something like a large indoor football pitch.

did anyone else go..?

does anyone know the setlist they played.. if so please post here and on www.GigSetList.com
theres a couple of similar sets on their but not the exact one... i wish i wrote it down.
Back to top Go down
mozo
newborn
newborn

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 19:43

Yes it was great, there was a big bit of me that was so glad to see them up there smiling and enjoying it, however there was also a bit of me which was quite sad to see "our little" band become a group for the masses.A few of you may recognise my name from the Powderblue site and will know that I have been there, almost, from the start.

Wonderful for them but I fear I'll never be able to see them how I want again.

You'd never guess from my rant that I loved it, but I did and at one point there was even a tear!

Sorry I'm a morbid git!!

Last edited by mozo on Sun 15 Mar 2009, 19:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 19:44

Just to add my comments to the host on here: a simply amazing gig.
Elbow were just at home on this stage as they were at smaller venues. Incredible.

BTW-if you travelled, where did you all stay in London? We were at the Ibis.
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Male Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 19:51

Mozo

Whilst I can sympathise with your sentiments, I'd counter by saying the (music) world needs acts like Elbow to blow away the mediocrity and show us how it should be done. They are a joyous, emotional, lyrically complex band at the peak of their powers. 'Twould be cruel to have them play at pokey little venues for the remainder of the careers when now, more than ever, their music needs space to breathe.

I just pity Coldplay, who have to follow Elbow on stage in a couple of weeks time in the States. A very tough act to follow ...

Mike
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 21:22

I'll join the sentiments, last night was bloody amazing. The atmosphere at the front was full of love, it was brilliant!

The whole night was great but my three favourite bits were:

- Hearing the strings girls playing some of the songs, but especially Asleep In The Back.
- The Mexican Standoff video!! Very Happy
- Guy scrunching up his face for a second after he sang "When my face is chamois creased" which made me laugh so much I actually cried.

It's sad to think they won't be playing any gigs for quite a while now excluding festivals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEM-BER-LEE   WEM-BER-LEE - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WEM-BER-LEE
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow live-
Jump to: