elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pete Turner Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+12
fadeupyoursmile
ElbowFreak
Leo
Mr Woman
Jonny
Topaz
Misspelt Yoof
Jones
Tinwal
bluefield
noisebox
Grant
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Nov 2008, 16:54

Breaking his ankle by... trying to kick his way out of an under ground car park?! Laughing
I love the band, but every time i thin of Pete all i can hear is the quote from that interview... "In me yella jeans..."!!!!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Nov 2008, 19:47

haha yeh, and than Guy says he looke like a Christian haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 06 Nov 2008, 20:51

I talked with Pete after the gig in Cologne, he's really a nice chap, I hope I can talk with him a bit longer in Hamburg or Berlin, because I play bass too (but not that good like Pete!!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 09 Nov 2008, 13:32

How the hell did you manage that?????
The security guy told us to go and I was like what if the band's coming back and have drink, and he was like naaaah, that's not happening!!! Sad
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 09 Nov 2008, 17:58

Maybe the security bloke was an a**hole...or the hall too secure (like in Berlin, the bus was totally closed away)
In Cologne the band had to take the same way out like the fans and because I waited a while before the opening I saw the most of the band go out for dinner! I catched an autograph from Pete and after the concert he showed up again, when I was at the wardrobe getting my jacket. I chatted with him and he said he wants to put me on the guestlist! He really did though it just meant that I would have get into the concert without ticket, but I had my tickets yet. I thought he meant a meet and greet and first they were saying it was a misunderstanding but when I waited for the band to come out to the bar one of the staff ladies came and said I can go backstage for ten minits after all! Shocked cheers
And this place was too like in Cologne that the band took the same exit like the fans a patient couple got a "Big Bear Hug" by Guy too...Smile

But to get back to topic, I want to say THANX!! to Pete because maybe it's because of him, that I could meet the band... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Mar 2009, 10:00

South Manchester Reporter wrote:
SUCCESS at the Brits awards won’t go to Elbow bassist Pete Turner’s head. He’s too busy enjoying the distractions of life in south Manchester he tells Susannah Wright ...

THEY beat off competition from global superstars Coldplay and Take That to claim the gong for the best British group at the Brits Awards.

But while their musical rivals are famed for their champagne lifestyle, Elbow bassist Pete Turner says he is happy enough enjoying a pint in his local in Chorlton.

And while other pop idols are chauffeured around in the stretch limousines, Pete still relies on his trusty old Alfa Romeo to get aboout.

The bassist and his four bandmates last week scooped the Best British Group title at the BRIT awards, beating Coldplay, Girls Aloud, Radiohead and Take That. They received a standing ovation when they collected their prize from Baywatch star David Hasselhoff.

The accolade follows their prestigious Mercury Prize for Best British Album last September - for The Seldom Seen Kid.

They were also hopeful of success in the NME awards in London on Wednesday night.

Pete, 34, who lives in near Chorlton Green, is delighted with their success of the past five months.

He said: "It was kind of ridiculous to beat bands like Coldplay and Take That. We were nominated for three awards and thought we were going to go home with nothing, but it was fantastic to win.

"Girls Aloud were at the next table to us and we said a few hellos, but the ceremony itself is quite polite - it’s afterwards when people get leathered that they start getting more chatty."

He added: "The Mercury Prize was incredible for us so I hope the BRITS will take it even further.

"The album’s been out for nearly a year now, but it’s still at about number five in the charts.

"I think we’ve sold nearly half a million copies but it would be great if we could get it up to a million.

After growing up in Bury with the rest of the band - singer Guy Garvey, guitarist Mark Potter, keyboardist Craig Potter, and drummer Richard Jupp - Pete moved to Manchester city centre a few years ago, and to Chorlton last year.

He said: "I love it here. I tend to go to places like Escape and the Jockey quite a lot, and Dulcimer too.
"And the Japanese restaurant Yaki Soba is fantastic. I get take-aways from there quite a lot, but I always get the same thing - sirloin steak rolls, pork sui mai, and ribs.

"I moved to Chorlton because I fancied a change and I keep meaning to look for somewhere to buy but I haven’t had time yet."

Although Pete lives alone, he has been with girlfriend Ruth, who works in the voluntary sector, for several years.

When Elbow won the Mercury Prize last year, Pete and Guy were spotted toasting their success with a bottle of champagne, along with folk star Stephen Fretwell in the Horse and Jockey on Chorlton Green.

And a few days later he was one of seven DJs who performed a special charity show at Escape bar on Barlow Moor Road. The bass player is also mates with other well-known Chorlton-based musicians including Badly Drawn Boy’s Damon Gough and members of I Am Kloot.

Pete said: "The success is great, but nothing’s changed in a way. I’ve still got the same friends and still living the same life. I’ve got the same old Alfa Romeo car I bought off my sister years ago, and I’ve got three brother-in-laws who’d put me straight if I got into some silly behaviour."

The Seldom Seen Kid is dedicated to Bryan Glancy, a Chorlton-based singer-songwriter who was best man at Babylon singer David Gray’s wedding.

He died in January 2006, aged just 39 after battling depression.

Last year, Elbow gave their Mercury Prize to Bryan’s mum, Mandy, and brother, Phil.

The band formed in 1991 as Mr Soft, and later became Soft. They changed their name to Elbow in 1997 as a reference to a line in the BBC TV series the Singing Detective, which says that the word ‘elbow’ is the most sensuous word in the English language, because of how it feels to say it.

They have made four albums: Asleep In The Back (2001), Cast Of Thousands (2003), Leaders of the Free World (2005) and The Seldom Seen Kid (2008).

Pete said: "We seemed to be in the wilderness for years but none of us wanted to leave.

"In a way, it’s quite a surprise that we’re doing so well now as we’ve always been the ‘nearly men’. But it’s nice to have this success and although we’re sort of making hay while the sun shines, we’re quite a down-to-earth bunch of guys.

"Life just seems a bit better."

Link.
Back to top Go down
al
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 462

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Mar 2009, 10:42

That is the third time this week I've heard about one of Pete's cars. It's not like I'm trying to get this information, it just keeps popping up!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Mar 2009, 10:59

Heehee, I know, it's making me somehow inexplicably curious about the other band member's cars!
I know, I know, it's totally irrelevant but it still makes me go: mmm...?
Sorry for going off topic there a bit!

Anyway, it's great to see that bottles of Champagne now seem to be a staple of Pete's diet and well deserved too!
He always seems like the most fun of the band. Really giddy!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009, 16:31

Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 3318254337_377cfa2185
Is this anything to do with you guys?!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 25 May 2011, 15:20

Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 14:36

It was a night of absolute debauchary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pete Turner Appreciation Thread   Pete Turner Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pete Turner Appreciation Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2