elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Football

Go down 
+30
TamedLamia
ChrissieInFL
Skeletor
oneofthethree
Mr_K
Diaan
Cestriansteve
redliz2
ticky
Lillybef
nikkijaydee
Tailfly
My Bury Vest
bluefield
blackmissionary
Prestwich Red 143
posh steve
Grant
Jonny
Ted
Misspelt Yoof
ElbowFreak
leespoons
Leo
heshofcheese
Jones
MagicalTrevor
ChrissyBoy
Dabamash
chan
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug 2009, 14:48

yeah Razz we need a half-decent striker Rolling Eyes McDonald's on the down, and samaras, is a useless lanky guy Razz
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 06:47

Top of the league! Amazing.

I *heart* Jermain Defoe!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 06:52

Doing well Spurs, without doubt, but I'd rather hail the demise, even if it's only temporary, of Man United.

While we beat the Champions of Europe..........I'll enjoy my day in th sun if you don't mind. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 06:53

Citeh are a massive club ;-)
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 06:59

Eh, oneofthethree, get out of it !!

Just supping an early morning pint of BITTER. Party!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 10:14

Barca had a crowd of over 90000 for that friendly last night - That's massive!

What must Kieran Trippier have felt like? Not even 19 and he comes on in front of that crowd, sharing the same pitch as Messi, Ibrahimovitch etc.

As for Vlad - see what I mean MBV about him being like Ronaldo when he first played for "them"? So much skill and pace, but just doesn't release the ball quite early enough. He'll learn, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug 2009, 10:20

With me not having a home PC and limited to usage at work i didn't see the game online but my mates said Weiss was outstanding in parts and will give SWP a real sweat for his place....yep Mr K, lots to learn but doing great at the moment.

For someone like Trippier to get a run out alongside Messi and that carthorse Ibrahimovich (sorry, don't get it or him) must have been unbelievable.

'We've one it one time, we've won it one tiiiiiiime, the Joan Gamper trophy, WE'VE WON IT ONE TIME !'
Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug 2009, 22:23

That Martin Taylor had the right idea...if I ever meet Eduardo I'll break his other leg...

'MON THE HOOPS!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 05:12

Saw the 'challenge' last night. Any sympathy he got over the Taylor challenge has just disappeared.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor
friend of ours
friend of ours
Skeletor

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 21:49

Misspelt Yoof wrote:
My Bury Vest wrote:
Corluka was well liked at City, is versatile along the back four, he looks a bit ungainly ,but I rated him.
He's a good player, far better at RB than Alan Hutton has shown himself to be since joining. Really looking forward to seeing the best of Luka Modric this season. He really is a class act.

modrić really is a great player, he really works a lot...but čorluka is a lot different, he is really talented, but he doesn't live the life of a sportsman...after every game, he goes back to Croatia and parties all night long with his great-looking girlfriend...
Back to top Go down
Skeletor
friend of ours
friend of ours
Skeletor

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug 2009, 21:53

My Bury Vest wrote:
Saw the 'challenge' last night. Any sympathy he got over the Taylor challenge has just disappeared.
well, you're too harsh...that's the first time the guy's done anything like that (and I've been watching his games for almost ten years now)...it was a really stupid thing to do, but he's a great guy and I'll believe that he'll prove this season that he's one of the best players in Premiership
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009, 07:16

Fair do's Skeletor, am sure he's a good guy and all that but it's just a personal opinion. Am sure some of my team, Man City, have done the same, but the ref's job is hard enough without players basically cheating.

I'll have my beady eye on him in 2 weeks time when we play Arsenal !! Shocked
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009, 10:54

This sparked quite a debate on another forum, as to whether it's not time now to make the best use of the available techology and go to replays etc for contested decisions.
No matter who you support, we've all had 'wtf' or 'no way in hell was that a pen/goal/free kick' whatever, moments,sometimes in the long run they don't make any difference ...other times they completely change the outcome, and not just of one game.
The one that always sticks in my mind is Darren Fletcher's sending off at Arsenal in the CL semi.
He clearly got the ball on replay,Van Pussy made a complete meal of it and we lost Fletcher for the Final.
I'm not saying we'd have won with him, but I think United are a better side when he plays, and he would've made a difference.
Back to top Go down
Skeletor
friend of ours
friend of ours
Skeletor

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009, 16:41

redliz2 wrote:
Van Pussy
cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 21 Sep 2009, 10:58

Well, what a 2 weeks for City! I am steaming at how the derby ended yesterday - not so much the extra time (although where the ref got 4 minutes from I'll never know, never mind playing 7), but at the shocking, shoddy and frankly lazy defending of Micah Richards thoughout the whole game, and particularly at the end. Leaving Owen unmarked in the penalty area! <sigh>

And then there's Bellamy slapping that fan that spat at him, following on from Adebayor's antics last weekend!

All in all it feels a bit like Hughes has assembled a troupe of talented desperados in attack - Ade, Bellamy, Robinho are all more than a bit nuts, and Tevez certainly looks like an outlaw.

Still 7 goals scored and 6 conceded in the last 2 games, both against members of the "big 4" (copyright Sky), along with all the other shenanigans, indicates that, whatever happens this season, City fans are unlikely to be bored.

Did you go to the game, MBV?
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 22 Sep 2009, 11:32

Hi there Mr K, sold my ticket for Sunday, totally unwilling to pay 50 quid at the Trafford Rosebowl.

Yeah, I think that we were the architects of our own downfall mate, poor defending on Fletcher TWICE AND Owen. Bellamy shouldn't have got involved with the fan, but the way he played, is in my opinion, exempt from any criticism, and any City playing banjoing a United player is fine by me....yep, there were causes for concern, however..........

We proved that we aren't far behind them, that he can play with out Adebayor and Robinho, that we have the best keeper in the land and that we can control the game for a long period in the first half.

Room for improvement but as long as we learn from out mistakes (Richards, Barry (picking up Fletcher), Bridge & Lescott), then we can have a really successful season, and yer right mate, can't see the season going all 'Stuart Pearce' on us.........

Still weird though seeing all these United fans here in Manchester crawling out of the woodwork just because they beat little old city who haven't won anything for 33 years....haha !!

MCFC OK.
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 23 Sep 2009, 20:53

It proved nothing. United were terrible, missed a load of chances, and conceded two goals due to shocking defensive errors. A bit of luck and better defending and it could have been six or seven nil.

United fans have always been in Manchester, it's a red city, the myth that it's all city is hilarious. Stockport maybe, but certainly not Manchester ;-)

As for banjoing United players, obviously the same doesn't apply for when Keane did Haaland.

At least I guess, you didn't trot out the injury time moan and make yourself look as foolish as some of the more bitter element of the city support.

33 and counting
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Sep 2009, 06:21

At the end of the day, yeah, I/we were gutted at the end and if I'm being truthful, it's not about City trying to get up to their level, it'll take us ages to win anywhere near the amount of trophies they have accrued over the years. It's about doing well for OURSELVES and yes, WINNING A TROPHY and getting sustained success over the next few years and more.........

As for the 'bitter element' among City fans, yeah, I'm like most City fans, I'd want a Taliban 11 to beat United, but that's not to say I can't be honest, objective and constructive about City/United etc....

33 years and counting and all that just makes me smile, at our lowest ebb 10 years ago, I never missed a game home or away, and for fans like myself, who've been through the mill (personally 29 years and counting as a S/T holder), despite being very sceptical initially, am enjoying some of the football being played by City.

MCFC OK

Regarding Manchester being Red, there's City parts, United parts and especially where I'm from (Prestwich/Whitefield), a good balance of each.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 24 Sep 2009, 12:15

oneofthethree wrote:
It proved nothing. United were terrible, missed a load of chances, and conceded two goals due to shocking defensive errors. A bit of luck and better defending and it could have been six or seven nil.

United fans have always been in Manchester, it's a red city, the myth that it's all city is hilarious. Stockport maybe, but certainly not Manchester ;-)

As for banjoing United players, obviously the same doesn't apply for when Keane did Haaland.

At least I guess, you didn't trot out the injury time moan and make yourself look as foolish as some of the more bitter element of the city support.

33 and counting

quite ....and last night they were shocking again....one little bit of class from Owen and the young lad Welbeck won them that last night. You know I have a feeling in me water we'll get City in the next tie.
38 years I've supported United ....(yes Blues I can actually remember when you last won something Laughing ) and they drive me spare at times No other times they are amazing ...but what can you do ..your team is your team !
Back to top Go down
Ted
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Ted

Male Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 23:50

Went to Camp Nou last night to watch Barca beat Mallorca 4-2. That stadium is like nothing else...
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 07:03

Oh Manchester (City), so much to answer for........

Excitement, elation, exhuberance, frustration, depression, anxiety and despair.

Seems like this season is like any other.

P.S Well done Lennon for Spurs, with form like that he must start for England, (he says through extremely gritted teeth).
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 17 Dec 2009, 12:47

That. Was. Awful.

To be fair, it was obvious that Lennon was gonna rip Sylvihno to shreds unless he had some protection - we even gave him about 5 chances to get a decent cross in before the goal, and yet we did nothing. You know he's bloody quick, I know he's bloody quick, Mrs K even knows he's bloody quick, but not our manager apparently. Very poor management. Extremely annoyed. Hughes said this match would be a statement of our intent, so our intent is to flatter to deceive is it, Mr Hughes?

Grrrrrrrrrr!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 21:33

Just awarded myself a small brandy.

We're back!

Well done to Chris and the boys. cheers

....straight back down next season, mind. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 22:12

Is it only a year ago that I was comiserating with you!! Very Happy
Enjoy your brandy!
Back to top Go down
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 20:25

When you get to my age, a year seems like five minutes....

Anyway, enjoyed the brandy, you're still a star Ticky!
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Sponsored content

Football - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football   Football - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Football
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: