elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.

Go down 
+15
Dabamash
evilpixie
fadeupyoursmile
ElbowFreak
PickyBugger
josephblack
Jonny
Topaz
heshofcheese
MagicalTrevor
Grant
leespoons
lucky with disease
Leo
Mr_K
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Empty
PostSubject: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 13:52

I've enjoyed Elbow's covers of unlikely songs, and I wondered if there are any others that would be good or interesting to hear, and why.

Personally I would like them to do "Everyday Is Like Sunday" by Mozza. Nothing wrong with the original - in fact I think it can be classed as a classic track - I just think that Elbow could add a sense of faded grandeur and end-of-the-world-weariness as an alternative to Morrisey's nostalgic despair. The fact that the song is also perhaps pondering the death of mankind as much as the slow death of "the coastal town That they forgot to close down" means there is plenty to work with.

I reckon it could be good!

Any thoughts, or other songs?
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 14:56

they would take Radiohead's Creep and make it AMAZING!! orchestra, gospel choir... would be good

creep is already a goodish song (for early Radiohead) so i think Elbow could take it and make it really something
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 15:38

Mr_K wrote:
I've enjoyed Elbow's covers of unlikely songs, and I wondered if there are any others that would be good or interesting to hear, and why.

Personally I would like them to do "Everyday Is Like Sunday" by Mozza. Nothing wrong with the original - in fact I think it can be classed as a classic track - I just think that Elbow could add a sense of faded grandeur and end-of-the-world-weariness as an alternative to Morrisey's nostalgic despair. The fact that the song is also perhaps pondering the death of mankind as much as the slow death of "the coastal town That they forgot to close down" means there is plenty to work with.

I reckon it could be good!

Any thoughts, or other songs?

Why do you thnk they have been 'unlikely songs?'
They've usually been songs by artists they admire... covered so well that is prompted me to explore the original further, If I didn't know the original's music already. Like I was introduced and listen to the music of The The, Bruce Cockburn and Grant Lee Buffalo through first hearing Elbow cover them.

Not sure if they are a fan of Morrisey , and it would be a challenge to cover a band such as Radiohead, like it would be to cover Talk,Talk, Genesis or Pink Floyd.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 16:04

lucky with disease wrote:

They've usually been songs by artists they admire... covered so well that is prompted me to explore the original further, If I didn't know the original's music already. Like I was introduced and listen to the music of The The, Bruce Cockburn and Grant Lee Buffalo through first hearing Elbow cover them.

Not sure if they are a fan of Morrisey , and it would be a challenge to cover a band such as Radiohead, like it would be to cover Talk,Talk, Genesis or Pink Floyd.

I was prompted by hearing their cover of "Teardrop". That struck me as being a bit unlikely, in a good way. The there's the "fun" covers such as Independent Woman, but that's a whole different kettle of ball games!

As for covering "Everyday...", I can imagine how they might create an interesting interpretation, and I think it would be great but obviously have no idea whether Elbow would or not.

Anyway, it was just a lighthearted question. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 16:53

Well they have covered Destiny's Child, Amerie and Amy Winehouse in the past...
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 17:02

Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 17:04

lee spoons wrote:

Well they have covered Destiny's Child, Amerie and Amy Winehouse in the past...

Well thats what elbow do if they have to see Jo Whiley on radio 1.

The proper covers havn't been so unlikely yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 17:15

Very Happy I loved the teardrop cover, as i'm a bit of a house obsessive Very Happy Razz I love it Very Happy (Song and programme Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 18:25

CREEP
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 19:05

Entangled by Genesis. I know they love this song, as I do, so I would love to hear them cover it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_FFgpcYHQzg
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
heshofcheese
friend of ours
friend of ours
heshofcheese

Male Number of posts : 382

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 19:36

Maybe a bit of an obvious one, but while we're talking Genesis, I'm sure the boys could do this justice

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p_EYU75uhKk&feature=related

Great possibilities for a mass sing-a-long a la One Day Like This.

I'd join in. bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.panicnow.bravehost.com/
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeThu 25 Sep 2008, 20:48

hey jude lol!
Back to top Go down
Topaz
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Topaz

Female Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 12:18

Ooh, I agree with any Genesis or Peter Gabriel cover. I think that'd be right up their alley.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 06:31

They should cover Entangled by Genesis. That'd be a dream come true.

EDIT: Haha, once again MT and I are on the same track, train and row of seats Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 13:17

Here Come The Flood by Peter Gabriel
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 16:57

josephblack wrote:

Newer quieter version, not the old version from PG1 I assume?
Back to top Go down
josephblack
friend of ours
friend of ours
josephblack

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeSat 27 Sep 2008, 18:40

Y'know I'd love to hear both versions MT. The version from PG-1 is still very special and I was only aware of a version 2 until recently.
I can hear GG wrenching every apocalyptic nuance out of it...

Or Carpet Crawlers maybe??
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeSun 28 Sep 2008, 17:20

Carpet Crawlers would be pretty cool too. Gentle 70s Genesis tunes just seems to compute to Elbow!
Back to top Go down
PickyBugger
fallen angel
fallen angel
PickyBugger

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeMon 29 Sep 2008, 20:15

wild cherrry - play that funky music white boy.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 12:05

josephblack wrote:
I think the best version of this song is on Fripp's Exposure - stark, apocalyptic, beautiful, just Gabriel's voice and piano, a bit of Eno synth and some very eerie frippertronics.

In fact I think this is a superb album - and I have only heard the original release! Working with the likes of Gabriel, Eno, Darryl Hall, Tony Levin, Peter Hammill (the song Disengage - wow) and various Crimsons, this veers from punk like noise to ethereal beauty whist managing to stay coherent. Brilliant!

Link to CD on Amazon
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 12:08

Now there's a CD I've never heard of that I must check out, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 12:25

MagicalTrevor wrote:
Now there's a CD I've never heard of that I must check out, thanks!
Hope you enjoy.

That's the great thing about forums like this, you get reminded of things like Exposure or Uncertain Smile from the comments of others. I've heard so much music over decades of listening that really good stuff invariably gets forgotten, so it is fantastic when someone reminds you - it's like meeting an old friend again.

I've been revisiting my old Peter Hammill LPs because of the comments of someone on a football forum of all places. It's great!
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 12:55

I've always thought that photo of Fripp on the front of Exposure was absolutely hilarious xD But yeah, good record. I wonder if Elbow covered it, would that become the greatest version? Razz Likely not... but it could be on par.

Still, I'd rather have Entangled. And it's pleasingly likely, since they've expressed appreciation for the song in the past already. Smile
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 18:27

Johnny and Mary by Robert Palmer. Maybe a little slower. (another great musician who'd gone far too early Neutral )
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitimeTue 30 Sep 2008, 18:46

Just thought of "Desire" by Talk Talk on the way home...either that or "I Believe In You"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.   Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs that might be good to hear Elbow cover.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow patch-
Jump to: