elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the roxy music story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

the roxy music story Empty
PostSubject: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeSat 20 Sep 2008, 11:44

I watched this last night good footage interviews with band members but to me it was a classic case of a band with 2 good albums in them who stretched a career out far too long releasing mediocre material.In my opinion the first Roxy album was and still is a classic bursting with originality and ideas screaming distortion and classic rock and roll,experimental noise, the second album was superb but more polished but great.I chipped outof Roxy at the third album the magic had gone and so had Eno, i turned the channel for half an hour and then switched back on at the end section of the programme Brian Ferry and a rather embarrassed looking Andrew Macay , and Phil Manzenera surrounded on stage by what looked like about 25 coked up L.A. session musicians, that said it all Ferry had become what he set out to parody,sad sad end
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeSat 20 Sep 2008, 13:43

Didn't watch it - what channel was it on, is it viewable online?

The thing with Roxy is, I'm a bit of a dabbler and only really know the singles, but to me it ALL sounds fantastic, coked-up L.A. session musicians or not. Listen to 'Same Old Scene' or 'Angel Eyes' and tell me they're mediocre!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeSat 20 Sep 2008, 16:01

Yeah lee I realise its personel prefference at the end of the day I might be to do with youthfulness and rawnness which by its nature do not last forever, but its was like they had this idea this plan that was bursting to come out and when it did the effect was mind blowing.To see how it ended up was quite a sad sight to me,They did produce classy music towards the end of the career no doubting that
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeSat 20 Sep 2008, 16:21

fair enough... but what channel was the documentary on? I'd like to see it... or are you talking about a DVD?

To me they're one of those bands that I didn't realise had such a big musical influence until much much later... whatever they did they seemed to be about 3 years ahead of their peers. Admittedly some of the later stuff like 'On The Radio' was a bit middle of the road, but I won't hold that against them. I don't know their albums really, I must investigate further.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeSat 20 Sep 2008, 17:20

Hi Lee it was on BBc 4 last night and its up on the i player so you should be able to catch it there
Back to top Go down
Dikky
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeWed 24 Sep 2008, 15:42

In Every Dream Home A Heartache is one of the greatest songs ever written, thats all i have to say.
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitimeFri 26 Sep 2008, 20:00

Dikky wrote:
In Every Dream Home A Heartache is one of the greatest songs ever written, thats all i have to say.

Yeah I think its a stunningly good song
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the roxy music story   the roxy music story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the roxy music story
Page 1 of 1