elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!

Go down 
+10
Jones
MagicalTrevor
Mr Woman
Mr_K
Dikky
bluefield
mrswoman
leespoons
Grant
Leo
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 18:24

im sick and bloody tired of them being called, rock, soft rock, britpop, pop, alternative (is probably the closest) ans most of all INDIE!!!! How dare people call them an indie band!! and thats the most common one theyre called!! what?!?!

they are the polar opposite to that maximo for girls load of shite!!

rant over
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

Male Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 18:32

I completely and utterly agree with this Razz I, myself think that there should be a genre called 'Elbow' as there's nothing that actually accurately describes them. they don't have a genre, they're just Elbow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 18:40

so true. just the same as radiohead, ratm, muse and a select few others, they have their own genre. muse can be called electronic rock type thingy but their not, radiohead can be called... ... ...i dont know actually.

anyways, elbow are most certainly NOT an indie band...

this post was prompted by me trying to record that celebrity snatch thing. on the info it said " indie band elbow's bassist pete turner".

ARGH!!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 18:42

lol! i don't have sky Sad or freeview Sad if you're putting it on the computer, can you send me it?
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 18:44

what the programme? i dont know how to im afraid...

itll be on youtube within a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 18:45

okay, i shall check then Smile
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 19:22

I wouldn't worry about it too much, tbh - "indie" has been shorthand for "non-mainstream guitar music" (rather than its original description of bands on an independent label) for thirty-odd years now.

And people love pigeonholes - I suppose Elbow are "indie" or "rock" in the same way that Burial is "dance", Neon Neon are "pop", or Scouting for Girls are "rubbish". (actually, Scouting for Girls ARE rubbish, but anyway...)
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 19:33

Leo & Grant, you two being younger fellas who probably don't know any different - Twisted Evil - I've gotta stand up for Elbow rightly being classed under the meaning of 'indie' when it first came into common use, from the late Seventies onwards: i.e. anything produced sufficiently outside the pressure of mainstream nonsense and released on an independent label.

Hark back to Stiff Records for instance with stablemates so diverse as Kirsty MacColl, Ian Dury or Jona Lewie. Not to mention Mute back in the day with Cabaret Voltaire and Depeche Mode in their naive electropop days, or Cherry Red with early Tracey Thorn even before Everything But The Girl, The Woodentops, Attila The Stockbroker or The Buzzcocks. 'Real' Indie 1.0 can't be categorised, unlike haircut band clones. Even Brit pop circa '95-96 was a later very distilled incarnation of what us old buggers mean by indie!

Thus endeth the lecture. "Get a haircut! I know your Dad!" etc etc.

Edited: Fairy nuff, Lee. I need to type faster!

Last edited by mrswoman on Thu 18 Sep 2008, 19:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 19:36

Leave longish hair alone Sad i have long hair Razz though i don't do it to give myself a label/category or whatever, i just prefer it Smile
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 19:44

Grant wrote:
Leave longish hair alone Sad i have long hair Razz though i don't do it to give myself a label/category or whatever, i just prefer it Smile

Y'see, it's exactly cos you're such a relative bairn in arms that I've no idea if you got me joke reference to the old saying about haircuts & knowing yer dad. Ask yer Mam Very Happy

And good on yer for smashing the establishment via a rebellious 'do. We all did back in the day...
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 19:46

My mum's a complete nutcase who criticises everything i do Razz so, i don't think i'll ask her Razz
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 19:59

Poor Grant! Well... I s'pose that's pretty normal for parents of teens. It'll pass! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grant
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Grant

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 20:01

lol! it's not fair!!! My girlfriend's parents are really young, so they actually understand her, but i don't think my parents can remember they're childhood Razz
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 20:37

mrswoman wrote:
Leo & Grant, you two being younger fellas who probably don't know any different - Twisted Evil - I've gotta stand up for Elbow rightly being classed under the meaning of 'indie' when it first came into common use, from the late Seventies onwards: i.e. anything produced sufficiently outside the pressure of mainstream nonsense and released on an independent label.

Hark back to Stiff Records for instance with stablemates so diverse as Kirsty MacColl, Ian Dury or Jona Lewie. Not to mention Mute back in the day with Cabaret Voltaire and Depeche Mode in their naive electropop days, or Cherry Red with early Tracey Thorn even before Everything But The Girl, The Woodentops, Attila The Stockbroker or The Buzzcocks. 'Real' Indie 1.0 can't be categorised, unlike haircut band clones. Even Brit pop circa '95-96 was a later very distilled incarnation of what us old buggers mean by indie!

Thus endeth the lecture. "Get a haircut! I know your Dad!" etc etc.

Edited: Fairy nuff, Lee. I need to type faster!

i DO know what indie really meant, but nowadays its changed. Indie is being used to describe anything from QOTSA to the futureheads, to the red hot chili peppers to scouting for hirls.

elbow ARE an indie band; in the true sense of the word, but in modern terms, they are being compared to scouting for girls!! NO WAY!! ITS RIDICULOUS!!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 21:07

Grant wrote:
lol! it's not fair!!! My girlfriend's parents are really young, so they actually understand her, but i don't think my parents can remember they're childhood Razz

Man this makes me feel really old
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeThu 18 Sep 2008, 22:28

Innit, Bluey! Very Happy

Leo, I know it's changed the other way too: The fun starts when you have journos who are in their 40s or more liberally using one term which means something completely different to each progressively younger group of fans staggered across the generations. Labels eh? At least they make for a heated debate! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dikky
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 08:12

I think Indie fits Elbow, but i don't think it fits all this crap thats getting called indie which is just bubblegum pop with guitars and a bloke who can't sing.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 08:56

Leo, you really hate scouting for girls, don't you?

Good chap. You'll like this review then - such bile, it made me chuckle.
Drowned in Sound review - 1/10

As for categorising Elbow, although they may be indie in the true, original meaning, the fact that the likes of Coldplay get described as indie makes the term pretty meaningless nowadays.

In fact Elbow being compared to Coldplay really annoys me personally. It is just so lazy, but then all pigeonholing is is suppose. Maybe it's just because I find listening to Coldplay to be such a hollow, cold experience. Even Eno - he who managed to make U2 seem relevent again back in the day FFS - even Eno couldn't make Coldplay sound interesting. And don't get me started on Chris Martin, the self righteous ...

Sorry, I think I may have had too much coffee this morning. Think I'll listen to TSSK and chill.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 09:40

I am so old and decrepit that I can actually remember when the term "indie" didn't exist in relation to "beat groups".

Until the late 80's, you couldn't go to an "Indie" night as there was no such thing! You would to go to an "alternative" night to listen to music that was from outside the mainstream. I think I still prefer "alternative" to "indie" as it is a more accurate description for the music rather than how it came to be released into the world.

The term "indie" became adopted as a catch-all term for the music because all the new,exciting stuff of the middle-to-late 80's - the sort of thing you would get on John Peel, for example - tended to emerge on independent labels. By the late 80's IIRC, the terms "alterrnative" and "indie" became blurred to the point where the two terms became synonymous and the word "indie" ultimately eclipsed the word "alternative" as a means of describing the music instead of the record label. Wrongly, IMHO. I blame the NME.

The obvious paradox with using the term in this way is that you can have so-called "indie" bands releasing music on major labels (Radiohead etc) and yet have poor quality chart fodder being released on "indie" labels: Pete Waterman correctly used to boast that PWL was an "indie" label. An examination of the independent charts from the late 80's will show that his acts did indeed dominate.

So, the term "indie" is actually meaningless today as it appears to apply to artistes who play commercial and non-commercial music across a whole range of musical genres and who release their music independently or via a major label.

To some, however, it just means skinny boys and girls with funny haircuts. Smile
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 10:16

All very interesting stuff. Back when I used to play in a band (and one day I will again) the most asked and most hated question was...

"What kind of stuff do you play?"

I could never pigeonhole our stuff, so I couldn't answer the question very well other than to say "Come to the gig and you tell me". Not many people came to our gigs.

Ever since that, I kind of decided that I don't care what category people want to put a band or an artist into.

I have two catagories: "I like it", and "I don't like it".

However, thinking about this now, some things are easy to define (jazz, classical, metal, prog etc) and others are not so easy, and I think Elbow are a band that are not so easy to pigeonhole.

To paraphrase Howard Moon, they span the genres, they are Genre Spanners.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 10:25

Mr_K wrote:
Leo, you really hate scouting for girls, don't you?

Good chap. You'll like this review then - such bile, it made me chuckle.
Drowned in Sound review - 1/10

That's one of the best reviews I have ever read.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 10:29

Mr Woman wrote:
Until the late 80's, you couldn't go to an "Indie" night as there was no such thing! You would to go to an "alternative" night to listen to music that was from outside the mainstream. I think I still prefer "alternative" to "indie" as it is a more accurate description for the music rather than how it came to be released into the world.

I'm with Mr woman on this one.
I much prefer to call them "Alternative" because as far as I'm concerned they are a great alternative to a lot of the sh*t you get in the mainstream media.
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 11:25

Mr Woman wrote:
To some, however, it just means skinny boys and girls with funny haircuts. Smile

...and guitars...usually!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 15:03

didnt elbow once say that they were prog without the solo's... thats not a bad description i spose
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitimeFri 19 Sep 2008, 16:54

They're just great. Pure and simple.
Music's so blurred and integrated these days trying to cateorise and subcategorise genres becomes impossible. Granted there are obvious places for obvious bands, but why worry..lifes too short !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!   Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elbow tagged incorrectly!!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next