elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grace Under Pressure

Go down 
+11
Cestriansteve
ChrissieInFL
TamedLamia
leespoons
Misspelt Yoof
evilpixie
fadeupyoursmile
Jonny
MagicalTrevor
bluefield
Leo
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

Male Number of posts : 1083
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Grace Under Pressure Empty
PostSubject: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 09:30

Why is it thaT the general consensus on here doesnt like GUP? I think its perhaps the most evocotive, epic, outstanding, uplifting, amazing song ever.

I think COT is a special album because they used the gospel choir exstensively.

great album,,, but what about GUP??
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/leowatkinshomerecordings
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 09:34

I love it, totaly original and beautiful, it blew me away the first time I heard it and still does.To me it is like a hymn with a jungle drum track, and the sentiments of the words are spot on I could go on for a long time
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 09:36

I think the weakest point of GUP is the melody, everything else is excellent. BUT the melody is the part that 'hooks', so I imagine that is why many people are not so keen on here.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 09:41

i think the melody is fantastic. i love the fact that elbow know exactly when to hold back (by getting in a 50 piece gospel choir and 200 fans to sing on the record! haha Smile ) no. the melody. keep it simple at times. its a truly beautiful melody. awe inspiring. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 20:15

It is clearly a favourite of the band's as I have never witnessed them NOT play it. I think people that like it... love it.

I'm just really not into the whole "EVERYBODY SING ALONG!" thing, least of all from the guys that do the exact opposite of that better than anyone. Same reason One Day Like This is the only song on TSSK I can take or leave.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 20:52

fair-doos. but the thing is.., elbow are a band that evoke lots of emotions...

whether it be great expectations making you cry, the fix making you laugh or forget myself become hyperactive, thats what they do.

GUP, ODLT, ribcage, station approach, the end of LOTFW, any day now... all have mantras. (repeated over and over...)

GUP and ODLT are power to the people songs. i understand if thats not everyones piece of cake, but it make people feel uplifted, and amazing. after ive listened to GUP i feel astonishing.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 21:44

I think the thing that never fails to amaze me is, as you say they have these epic, rousing mantras, but they never loose sight of the personal real emotion behind it. This isn't sing along for sing along sake... I find the fact that Guy taught audiences the Hook to One Day Like This on the last tour, really, gah, words fail.. but its not the stand back, hold the mic out to the crowd and EXPECT them to sing attitude its, lets do this thing together... I'm sorry, i just watched Amelie and i'm a little over thinking things!!!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 22:15

Sarah wrote:
I think the thing that never fails to amaze me is, as you say they have these epic, rousing mantras, but they never loose sight of the personal real emotion behind it. This isn't sing along for sing along sake... I find the fact that Guy taught audiences the Hook to One Day Like This on the last tour, really, gah, words fail.. but its not the stand back, hold the mic out to the crowd and EXPECT them to sing attitude its, lets do this thing together... I'm sorry, i just watched Amelie and i'm a little over thinking things!!!

no not to worry youre quite correct. thats exactly what i was trying to say. it is a "we're in this together" thing. like an elite club. its fantastic
Back to top Go down
evilpixie
friend of ours
friend of ours
evilpixie

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 22:46

A song should make you feel something, and if that something is that you want to sing out loud, I see nothing wrong in that! GUP is great live...so full of life and energy. I don't think a recording can ever capture that.
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 09:09

evilpixie wrote:
A song should make you feel something, and if that something is that you want to sing out loud, I see nothing wrong in that! GUP is great live...so full of life and energy. I don't think a recording can ever capture that.

ah but it does capture that. they recorded the glasto fans
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 10:08

ther only thing that spoils it for me is the annoying whistle from the crowd where they looped it
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 10:18

YES!
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 15:50

youre so right about the whistle!!
Back to top Go down
bluefield
friend of ours
friend of ours

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 16:01

I wonder who the phantom whistler is and that his/her innocent whistle would be captured for all time
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 18:28

I've never noticed the whistle before now Shocked what have you done?! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 13 Aug 2008, 18:34

that bloody whistle is annoying :/

but the freaky electronic noise at the end makes up for it!! Surprised
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSat 16 Aug 2008, 20:26

Funny I always heard it as a scream more than a whistle
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSat 18 Oct 2008, 19:58

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv-Ql7x5uBw

BRILLIANT!

oh, and not my response to the -7 comment (my username is 12345l6789)
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 11:58

You need to chill out, leo! Don't rise to people on YouTube, they only watch the videos they dislike Wink
Back to top Go down
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 12:49

Jonny wrote:
Don't rise to people on YouTube, they only watch the videos they dislike Wink
Grace Under Pressure Listen_to_yourself
On topic... so, who's in the crowd on the recorded version?
Back to top Go down
Leo
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 15:28

haha

some kid i reckon, or someone with an actual whistle - it would be a bloody loud human whistle
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 16:23

Jonny wrote:
You need to chill out, leo! Don't rise to people on YouTube, they only watch the videos they dislike Wink

oddly enough this borisjohnson character has added "One Day Like This" as one of his favourites. Just a troll, then.

Nice cartoon MisspeltYoof. I love xkcd Very Happy
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeSun 19 Oct 2008, 16:51

back on topic, having listened to the whistle/scream, I also think it's a scream, not a whistle. Nicely edited though, as it starts in the fourth bar of the chorus and carries on back through the first bar. And like jonny I didn't notice it until now - thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeMon 20 Oct 2008, 09:06

I read somewhere too that it is a scream. And the writer of that seemed to like it, he compared it with a bird! Shocked
Anyway. I am not a huge fan of Grace under Pressure for the same reason I also don't like "One day like this" that much. Can't help the feeling, that Elbow isn't a "singalong"-band. Maybe more a "quietly-do-harmonyvocals during listening to them"... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009, 03:03

Elbow didn't play this one at the Atlanta show, and I kinda missed it. Not that we didn't get a fantastic set, 'cause we certainly did! But, having heard it last year in Chicago, I know how thrilling and joyous it is to sing that ending along with a crowd, and I did miss it. It made me wonder - do you think the band might phase Grace out a bit more now that One Day Like This has become so popular? Maybe they will decide there's only room for one whopping great sing-along number per show, and ODLT seems to have won so many people over that perhaps Grace will get put out to pasture. I sure hope not - that's a great tune in a live setting and I do hope there's always room for it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grace Under Pressure   Grace Under Pressure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grace Under Pressure
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next