elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

R.E.M.

Go down 
+17
ElbowFreak
natalia
My Bury Vest
Jones
sparky
Mr Woman
Dano
Mr_K
Glendarian
ChrissieInFL
Lesley Gilks
TamedLamia
Jonny
heshofcheese
SmilinSkullRing
Leo
mrswoman
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 Jan 2011, 23:47

Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 00:02

Dano wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNV1rMNXE0&feature=channel

beautiful.

I agree Dano. Can't wait for the new album.

March 7th Releases

REM - Collapse Into Now
Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys!
Noah & The Whale - Last Night On Earth
Jesca Hoop - Snowglobe

I think I'll book the day off.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 11:06

I preordered it with Build A Rocket Boys!

I don't know Noah and the Whale...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 13:43

Dano wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNV1rMNXE0&feature=channel

beautiful.

Yup, good tune, that. Thumbs Up! I'd read a while back that they were doing a song about New Orleans on this album, since they were recording some of it there, and this is apparently the one. Very nice, and I am sure the residents of that city will embrace it.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 14:44

Collapse Into Now has got a rotten review in Q. A bit surprised, so I thought I'd have a listen to some of the tracks that have been previewed - 6 or so can be heard here.

Well I might be wrong but I think the Q reviewer has got his ears stuck up his...you-know-what. Judging from the tracks I've heard this sounds like a bloody belter of a record. I've now ordered it.

Hell, I have spent a ton of money on music recently.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Mar 2011, 11:53

Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Mar 2011, 13:51

Yup - on Spotify as well.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Mar 2011, 15:40

OK, after a bit more of a listen on Spotify, whilst I can see what people might mean when they say this is REM by numbers, that doesn't stop this from being a really good album, IMO. They might not waver too much from the REM formula, but it is a bloody good formula, and within those constraints this is still their best record for donkey's years.

"Discoverer" is a great rock song - fact.
As is "All The Best" - rugged, muscular, a bit frayed.
"Uberlin" has s lovely melody - reminds me of the gentler moments of Out of Time. Very much old school reflective REM.
"Oh My Heart" follows in the same vein, and there is a sense of "haven't we been here before?" now, but planet REM is a nice place to visit so who cares?
"It Happened Today" starts off all pretty guitars and mandolins, but Stipe is pretty bitter underneath, then after about 2 minutes the song suddenly lifts off in a quite startling manner, the gloom clears and the music soars. The effect is almost cheezy, such is the joy of it all. Brilliant.
"Every Day Is Yours To Win" is anthemic and dreamlike. Could be a favourite if they ever tour again.
"Mine Smells Like Honey" a rowdy rocker with echoes of early REM - the nearest thing to a throwaway track on the album - but I still like it.
In complete contrast "Walk It Back" is an introspective, confessional tune. Stipe's voice is beautiful here.
"Alligator Aviator Autopilot Antimatter" is a nonsense song and great fun. Featuring a duet with Peaches, it is a raucous rocker.
So is the fantastic "That Someone Is You" where REM get back in touch with some new wave roots. At well under 2 minutes it is taut, focused and vital.
"Me, Marlon Brando, Marlon Brando And I" is a stately contrast to the previous track, similarly taut but as restrained as a sigh.
The album closes with the excellent "Blue" which has some more experimental elements than previous songs. It starts as almost a dirge, with Stipe the Beat poet spitting out poisonous sounding lines over a fuzzed guitar and Patti Smith's vocals. The track then pauses for breath, before breaking into a rousing reprise of "Discoverer" to bring things to a close.

Thoroughly enjoyable stuff. Great to hear them sounding so alive after all these years.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 08:21

it seems really good. i'm in love with everyday is yours to win. it riminds me something by Eels. great!
don't like too much all the best and...expected some more from Alligator...Blue is nice and That Someone Is You is a great power-pop tune.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 14:44

Dano wrote:
it seems really good. i'm in love with everyday is yours to win. it riminds me something by Eels. great!

I agree with that 100%! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 16:21

Back to top Go down
Lesley Gilks
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-02-25

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 13:17

Great album, love it and will be on the M.P.3 player before too long.
It arrived with Build A Rocket Boys! so it's in good company. Both albums very much as you would expect from both groups, gets better everytime you listen to them.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Sep 2011, 19:19

LINK REM call it a day . Breaking news from the official website. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Sep 2011, 20:15

From "Murmur" in 1983 to "Automatic For The People" in 1992 they were the most important band in the world for me, and along with Elbow, Kloot and Genesis, my favourite bands in over 40 years of listening to music.

I've been lucky enough to see them a few times in their prime.

I wish them all the best in whatever they do.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Sep 2011, 21:07

Fairly gutted about this, though not completely surprised.
It seemed to have run it's natural course.
One of my favourite bands ever and they will always hold a very special place in my heart. I love you
I had the great honour of meeting Peter Buck when I was expecting my little boy and he wished me lots of happiness and joy with my baby - it really meant a lot!
But of course it's the music that matters and they were just great - loved them from the start with Murmur when (certainly in Holland) they were very much an 'underground' indie band.
They've had some ups and downs for sure but even on the 'lesser' albums there was always a gem or two.
I will miss them as a band (boy, I've been to some great REM gigs!) but I wish them all the very best in whatever they all decide to do next.
(Still gutted, though... Crying or Very sad )
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 00:07

A remarkable band who had a remarkable career.

Oddly enough, my colleague had Automatic delivered this morning - Tesco are selling it for a couple of quid or something - and I realised that I had not heard it in full for years so I borrowed it and had a lovely time listening to all those great songs again. Then I come home and hear this news!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 06:01

A band I enjoyed fleetingly when 'Automatic....', came out - enjoyed a lot of their singles but never saw them live or obsessed about.

Suppose if any band produces a song as good as 'Losing My Religion', it's something to be very proud of.
Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-04-04

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 09:28

I was also surprised, although not entirely. And I think they still did nice albums after New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

I wish I had seen them live. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://dyingdays.net
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 09:46

One of the defining bands of my generation and my life, and the world is a diminished place without them.

I feel priveleged to have seen them several times, the best being Manchester Apollo on the Green tour back in 19.. *coughs*

I have to be honest though; I don't think they've delivered a cohesive album since AFTP in 1992; each subsequent album being somehow a reaction to the previous album or an attempt to face the monster fame had made them.

One school of thought neatly divides their history into two eras; the genre-defining IRS albums of the 1980's and the later Warner albums. For me, the beginning of the end had more to do with when Bill Berry left the band in 1997. REM considered calling it a day but decided to continue; "A three-legged dog can still walk; it just has to learn to walk differently" the three remaining members said at the time. I don't think that three legged dog ever did quite get to grips with the walking differently.

It will be Fables Of The Reconstruction for me later. Or is that Reconstruction Of the Fables? Never was sure...
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 10:06

Give the IRS albums a listen, MBV.

I'm with Sparky, Jones & the OH on this one. Loved them with a (talk about the ) passion since Document came out and despite the patchy Warner albums, they'll always be my joint favourite band. Too much good stuff to better.

Think part of the attraction was their very indie ethos which carried over into all aspects of what they did. Obviously their politics, but even their promo: If you've never seen "Succumbs", it's an early greatest hits of their locally made independent films while the Christmas fan club packages included limited edition singles & personal cards all beautifully hand-printed with thoughtful little gifts like a paintbrush with a label that read, "Create".

Good at least that we have The Decemberists pick up from where they left off; probably the best R.E.M. tribute band in the world! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 15:01

Mr Woman wrote:

I feel priveleged to have seen them several times, the best being Manchester Apollo on the Green tour back in 19.. *coughs*

Same tour, just down the road......I saw them on the Green Tour at Liverpool Royal Court. Blue Aeroplanes were supporting.
it's my favourite REM gig too (closely followed by Old Trafford Cricket Ground with Feeder and Idlewild supporting them many years later)

I'm afraid it was 1989 MrW Shocked Never mind.......we might be getting on a bit but we've seen some good stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 15:58

I missed the Blue Aeroplanes on that 'Green' tour. I was on a coach trip and we didn't get in to the Apollo until the support had virtually finished. That would have been a cracking time to have seen them; just after 'Swagger' was released. Ah well.

Me and MrsW were at the REM Old Trafford gig! The Zutons were on, too: An excellent day's entertainment, that was - and a chance to walk on the sacred Lancashire county ground turf, even though it was covered in plastic matting to protect the hallowed pitch.

I wonder if REM will do a farewell performance anywhere? Get Bill Berry onstage for one last time. I rather doubt it though. Sad

Last edited by Mr Woman on Thu 22 Sep 2011, 20:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 16:08

Sad day....
What a great band!!! Given this world some great tunes!!!
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 20:27

I saw them at live8, they were fantastic, Monster was a real musical memory of my childhood, my Dad really loved that yellow tape!
Back to top Go down
Nancy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Female Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-06-18

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Sep 2011, 21:24

Their last 3 albums are not bad at all, but I must admit I hardly ever listen to them. I saw this coming somehow, I thought it was weird that they didn't go on tour with this album.
Still I'm feeling sad, to think I won't ever see them live again... I have such good memories of their live shows... I've seen them 6 times, 5 times @ the Werchter Festival and once in Antwerp. The first show I saw was in 1989 , they played in the afternoon. I don't remember a lot of that show, they played a lot of the Green-album, Michael had red hair and I spotted Peter Buck walking around during the Pixies-set. Second show was in 1995. This is my favorite REM show ever: I had a spot not so far away from the stage (I could actually see them), great weather, they played a lot of songs of 'Automatic' and some great older songs, everyone singing along, they were at their peak. I also saw Jeff Buckley that year on the side-stage, Michael Stipe was also watching. I also remember after the show there was a horse of the Police running wild and we had to flee, my sister ran into barbed wire, luckily without serious injuries. That on a sidenote Very Happy
Show 3: 1999, show 4: 2003, show 5: 2005 (Antwerp), show 6: 2005, show 7: 2008. I enjoyed all of those shows, REM was a perfect festival band. At their last Werchter show I had this feeling they wouldn't headline Werchter anymore in coming years, public response to their 'newer' songs was in overall not so good...

I got to know REM when I was 18, 'Green' was one of the albums for me at that time. I started to listen to their older stuff and immediately fell for it. I've been following them ever since. My favorite albums are 'Murmur', 'Life's Rich Pageant', 'Green' and 'Automatic'. I like all their albums, except for the last 3 (those I like less). I'm going to miss them so much...

This is my absolute favorite song of REM: Find The River

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

R.E.M. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: R.E.M.   R.E.M. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.E.M.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: