elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coldplay

Go down 
+30
iamkloot
NeonChoir
Lynne
victoryrose
HattyMarris
My Bury Vest
LongLegs
allyngibson
elbowismymuse
AyannaD
Dano
The Final Track
TamedLamia
Stockhaus
Jones
evilpixie
Jonny
Leo
mrswoman
Skeletor
fadeupyoursmile
Calum
butterfingersbimbo
leespoons
MagicalTrevor
Topaz
Ted
Misspelt Yoof
Dabamash
ChrissyBoy
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
iamkloot
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jun 2011, 05:54

to me they sound like U2 covering Echo & The Bunnymen b-sides
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jun 2011, 09:43

Brilliant Glastonbury performance last night from Coldplay.
I'm one of the many who loved Parachutes but just wasn't enjoying the way their music and gigs were going the last few years, but they nailed it lastnight, came across as genuine, all of them into it and a fantastic show with an interesting set.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jun 2011, 21:18

Yes, they seemed quite hard edged at Glastonbury. Refreshingly so.

I've enjoyed their albums but by the time they got to X and Y they'd become a caricature of themselves (I do like the album, despite myself, but it's full of Coldplay cliches and there's nothing new about it). I like the new road they put themselves on with Vida La Vida and, going by the new songs, they're still chugging along this unfamiliar route. Happily, they haven't sacrificed a pithy good tune on the high altar of experimentation. We already have one Radiohead (one too many in my opinion), we don't need another.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 17:01

I wouldn't worry about that. Coldplay couldn't sound like Radiohead if they wanted to.
Back to top Go down
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 18:11

And why, pray tell, would anyone want to sound like Radiohead?

Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 02 Jul 2011, 16:38

From a logical standpoint, I don't think people would want anyone else to sound like Radiohead, for they would label said artist as copycats, and no one likes a copycat.

Coming from a Radiohead fan standpoint, however, I love Radiohead, so I don't think I'd be that bothered with it, as long as said band doesn't go too overboard with it. Y'know, like taking Radiohead as an influence, as opposed to copying everything they do.
Back to top Go down
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 11:37

Radiohead are a self-indulgent mess. All that avant garde stuff has been done before, and better, back in the late sixties and early seventies. You're quite right; no-one likes a copycat - step forward Thom Yorke and crowd.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 15:59

Radiohead aren't really THAT avant-garde. They have influences from it, sure, but they also have influences from other sources. At any rate, we're having a Radiohead discussion in a Coldplay thread, so we should probably either stop or continue our discussion in the Radiohead thread. Let's carry on, shall we?
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 16:24

Yup; move along now, nothing to see.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 18:25

NeonChoir wrote:
Radiohead aren't really THAT avant-garde. They have influences from it, sure, but they also have influences from other sources. At any rate, we're having a Radiohead discussion in a Coldplay thread, so we should probably either stop or continue our discussion in the Radiohead thread. Let's carry on, shall we?

Um, well you started it.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 03 Jul 2011, 19:41

And it seems she is finishing it.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
SwingKing
fallen angel
fallen angel

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jul 2011, 07:25

Really? I'd say it loks more like someone who can't finish what they started but please, Trevor, if you can see any evidence to the contrary please point it out. Because, god knows, I can't see it.

Put another way, don't take sides, fella - surely admin should be above that?

Now, let's talk Coldplay and not have any more sniping remarks about them on this board - after all, I don't go onto the Radiohead thread upsetting all the little darlings with my negative thoughts about their favourite band (to wit, I would venture the young lady knew exactly what she was saying with her first carping remark - let's not insult my intelligence by pretending otherwise. All that backpedalling smacks of someone who can't argue their way out of a wet paper bag).
Back to top Go down
@MrIanGibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
@MrIanGibson

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-09-26

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jul 2011, 08:26

Anyone else thinks that Coldplay have sampled the 80's Disco Classic Ritmo De La Notche by Mystic? The begining of their new single has just gone and swiped that darn piano jam.

*casually cha chaing around his desk in the office*
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mriangibson
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jul 2011, 08:47

SwingKing wrote:
Don't think MT was taking sides, SwingKing. Reckon it was more about acknowledging NeonChoir's awareness that you and she were drifting off-topic & heading towards a flame sesh. And we're not much keen on that around here.

*adjusts Moderator hat*

Anyway, carry on. What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 05 Jul 2011, 12:08

Please do not make assumptions about my motives, SwingKing. I have little interest in the relative merits of Coldplay and Radiohead.

My focus was to keep this thread ON topic.

The suggestion to move the conversation to the Radiohead thread was reasonable. I'm sure all contributers to that thread are thick-skinned enough to further the discussion. If it turns into a flame war, that's a different issue, but I have no problems with rational and reasoned debate.

As an aside, when I do have an opinion on something, I will express it. However, I will not abuse admin privilige to do so.

My point is, I'll take sides on a discussion regarding whether Band A is better than Band B (if I feel strongly enough about it). I don't see why being an admin should stop me having an opinion.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 06 Jul 2011, 23:51

SwingKing wrote:
NeonChoir wrote:

Um, well you started it.
Actually, you started it with your comment:
SwingKing wrote:
We already have one Radiohead (one too many in my opinion), we don't need another.
My comment about Coldplay not sounding like Radiohead wasn’t anything derogatory. It was merely a comment about how their styles are so vastly different, and I can’t imagine Coldplay sounding like Radiohead. I love both bands, so it’s not like I’m using one to bash the other. That’s just silly.
MagicalTrevor wrote:
And it seems she is finishing it.
That’s exactly what I was trying to do.
SwingKing wrote:
Really? I'd say it loks more like someone who can't finish what they started but please, Trevor, if you can see any evidence to the contrary please point it out. Because, god knows, I can't see it.
Now, let's talk Coldplay and not have any more sniping remarks about them on this board - after all, I don't go onto the Radiohead thread upsetting all the little darlings with my negative thoughts about their favourite band (to wit, I would venture the young lady knew exactly what she was saying with her first carping remark - let's not insult my intelligence by pretending otherwise. All that backpedalling smacks of someone who can't argue their way out of a wet paper bag).
Ummm. You obviously didn’t know what I was trying to say. I’m sorry if it came off as brash, because I wasn’t trying to insult Coldplay at all. In fact, I’ve been a fan of Coldplay for much longer (about two years longer, actually) than I have been a fan of Radiohead. Your assumptions about my behavior are ridiculous. It’s not my character to lash out at people for no good reason. At any rate, by the way you are referring to me, you’re actually pretty much doing what you are accusing me of doing, which is kind of ironic, given the situation. I wasn’t trying to flame anyone. I just wanted to have a civilized music discussion. If you’re really going to be one of those people who gets mad over something that wasn’t even meant to be offensive, then maybe you shouldn’t post on a forum, eh?
mrswoman wrote:
SwingKing wrote:
Don't think MT was taking sides, SwingKing. Reckon it was more about acknowledging NeonChoir's awareness that you and she were drifting off-topic & heading towards a flame sesh. And we're not much keen on that around here.

*adjusts Moderator hat*

Anyway, carry on. What a Face
Thank you. Someone gets it.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jul 2011, 01:11

Hmmm.. Well you WERE finishing it Smile

Let's have no more on this now, or the thread gets locked. Which is really unfair on the other subscribers to this thread.

If you want to carry this on, please confine it to PMs.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 07 Jul 2011, 05:38

Yessir. Sorry about my extended-quote post above. I just felt like I needed to defend my actions. I didn't want to cause any trouble at all.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 09 Jul 2011, 22:25

anyway... back to coldplay (plodclay if you prefer) but they are playin a pretty good set
tonight at T in the park..... they for me will always be the first two brilliant albums but there are still
some nice touchesi n the others too - haven't heard the new one yet though.
peace to all.
(Amsterdam is still my fav outside track)
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 10 Jul 2011, 07:02

I think "every teardrop is a waterfall" is by far one of the best song they've released in a long time.
It's fun listening to it.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jul 2011, 21:07

ElbowFreak wrote:
I think "every teardrop is a waterfall" is by far one of the best song they've released in a long time.
It's fun listening to it.

Yes, I like it too! Something new and fresh about it. Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 15:43

Quite liking Paradise aswell, in fact I'm looking foward to hearing the new the album.
fingers crossed it will be good.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 21 Oct 2011, 20:07

The album leaked some time earlier this week. Because I'm highly curious (or, for those who prefer this term, "weak" Razz), I listened to the stream from SoundCloud someone posted on my Facebook wall. I'd give it a 4/10, and that's me being generous. :/
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 16:04

The videoclip to Paradise is really cute Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Oct 2011, 21:10

I personally think it's silly. I will say that it's cool to know that Chris Martin can ride a unicycle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coldplay - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coldplay   Coldplay - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coldplay
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next