elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

April 9 - Phones4U Arena

Go down 
+5
Molly
Ginge
mitchy
Gotterdammerung
boy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

Male Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-10-19

April 9 - Phones4U Arena Empty
PostSubject: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jan 2014, 22:14

On April 9 it will be my third time going to see the boys but I've never really gotten totally into the whole gigging thing. At Jodrell I was stood relatively far back and on 1 Dec I was seated. Standing this time and wanted to really go for it, so wondered if there will be anyone knocking about who I can queue with and stand with to ensure good places? Willing to queue from whatever time really. It's probably important to point out I'm a 15 year old boy (get it? get it?) but I am a huge fan and all.

Cheers  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Gotterdammerung
fallen angel
fallen angel
Gotterdammerung

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2014, 18:32

Yeah I'll be hoping to get to the arena by train about 15 minutes before doors so may see you there! With queue times in the arena gigs I've found it doesn't really matter so long as you're around for doors and charge to the stage you can get on the barrier, last time in Manchester I was there towards the end of the string quartet and still got about 2 rows back from the end of the catwalk.
Back to top Go down
mitchy
little beast
little beast
mitchy

Female Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2014, 19:43

Anyone going to the pub before?
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeTue 08 Apr 2014, 23:35

Will probably get to gates at 5pm and have McDonald's  Very Happy You'll probably see me running to the barriers - but Potterside or watching Jupp and his infinite coolness? Or at the end of the runway? Maybe middle of the runway Potterside. Probably. Hopefully anyway. Quite late init?
Back to top Go down
Gotterdammerung
fallen angel
fallen angel
Gotterdammerung

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 14:18

Getting really excited now!!! Got off uni earlier than I thought so catching an earlier train over so should be at the arena around 5.15! Prpbably wont be drinking still got a pile of uni work to sort through! Also I love mid to end runway potterside always a good place! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gotterdammerung
fallen angel
fallen angel
Gotterdammerung

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeWed 09 Apr 2014, 22:18

Gotta say 8 times in and I think elbow just managed to beat themselves for best gig I've been to, which I admittedly doubted from some setlist disappointment. Despite the annoying as hell duo next to me it was downright amazing! New songs worked really well, sound was great and the atmosphere was top-notch!!

Edit: Forgot to mention Jimi Goodwin was also fantastic.
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 17:36

Oh my - what a show!

I'm going to call it my favourite Elbow gig so far, mainly due to the fact I sang "If you think I wink I did" during ODLT, hugged Guy, took a (sort of) selfie with him and got a set list! So great.

Atmosphere and sound was great, as was the setlist and naturally my voice was hoarse at the end. The beautiful acoustic rendition of Great Expectations compensated for the lack of older material - that and the fact they chose the best of the new album.

Amazing show, and now I've convinced myself I'm best friends with Guy Garvey.  Very Happy 

Set list was no different, but is as follows -
Intro (on the set list it says "Slow moving water" but I could swear it was This Blue World)
Charge
Bones
Fly Boy Blue
Real Life
The Night Will Always Win (dedicated to Steve Lloyd)
New York Morning
Towercrane
Great Expectations
Blanket of Night
Mirrorball
Birds
Grounds
Sad Captains
------
Starlings
Lippy Kids
One Day

EDIT: Forgot to mention the stage invader who jumped onto the railing and fell flat on his face, all whilst shouting an Alan Partridge-esque "GUY!!"..."Gently with him boys."

I also forgot the fact that in the middle of a song Guy took the phone from a woman a few people down from me and took pictures of the band. Just one of the reasons you have to see Elbow live!

Last edited by boy on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 18:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ginge
newborn
newborn
Ginge

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-04-10

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 18:16

Just add Neat Little Rows & Station Approach to that set list for Liverpool and i'll be well chuffed!
Back to top Go down
Molly
fallen angel
fallen angel
Molly

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-05-25

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 19:04

I thought Elbow were amazing last night but my mum (who was at an Elbow gig for the first time) and I probably would have enjoyed it much more if it wasn't for the woman (who was the one whose phone Guy took) hadn't pulled my hair/hit me in the head repeatedly with her phone and elbows/pushed me out of the way (sorry if any of you on here were one of the people I fell on) and pulled me off the barrier/elbowed my mum in the eye and was making loud comments about her (all deliberately) so she could stand where we were. But the first 4 ish songs were amazing and from what I've heard the rest were equally as good!
Back to top Go down
Gotterdammerung
fallen angel
fallen angel
Gotterdammerung

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 20:04

Damn molly she did all that to you? I noticed her barging in (who couldn't) and her pushing you towards the encore but didn't see the pulling and all that, really annoying duo and she seemed really prepared for a fight, sorry I didn't do anything to help stop her. Sad
Back to top Go down
Molly
fallen angel
fallen angel
Molly

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 20:19

Thank you. I don't think any one could have done anything, the security man didnt seem that bothered, but I was more worried my mum was going to hurt because she more mouthy than I am!
Back to top Go down
Gotterdammerung
fallen angel
fallen angel
Gotterdammerung

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 20:31

Yeah it took ages for him to actually say something to her! Always annoying when you get someone like that at a gig can really ruin the entire night. Drove me mad and she didn't even do anything but scream and squeeze into me!
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeThu 10 Apr 2014, 20:47

Sorry to hear that, you two. Those who show up for the One Day Like This's can be a pain - especially the bloke who blagged his way to the front with his camera and decided to stay right behind me during the last couple of songs, which is of course nothing compared to what you had to put up with.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2014, 23:01

Sorry to hear you got all that grief, Molly.

We were seated for once but brought our small binoculars (to make up for the lack of being barrier perched!). I was amazed how much action around the arena you notice from the side... I saw the blonde woman and her BF at the catwalk do all the phone stuff as well as being very animated throughout - she seemed pretty giddy/worse for wear? with arms everywhere  Neutral 

Thanks to you putting your pic up, Boy, I realised I'd seen you too! Glad you had a better time this gig Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeFri 11 Apr 2014, 23:59

Gosh, all sounds more like a rugby scrum. We were only saying at the Birmingham gig how polite elbow fans are and no pushing. Having seen foals lately which was seriously in the rugby scrum league and everyone just pushing into you regardless whether you've been stood there hours before the start! I always thought elbow fans were more considerate and appreciated people's personal space. On this occasion not so. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2014, 15:23

Lynne wrote:
I always thought elbow fans were more considerate and appreciated people's personal space. On this occasion not so. Rolling Eyes 

There were some petty obnoxious people at the Glasgow gig as well, Lynn.
Actually, noticeably so and I remember remarking on it to some friends about it afterwards.
I was at the front with some nice people who I'd been queuing with since early afternoon but some time into the gig a group of about 4 people repeatedly tried to push us aside. If it wasn't for security stepping in I think I may have lost out on my spot which would have been rather unfair to say the least... No 

Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2014, 17:39

Last night in Leeds one bloke wouldn't let my other half back in after he went to the bar after Jimi Godwin. I had to point out he was with me and wasn't pushing in, other people round us had left space for him. Doubly cheeky because this rude chap was also waiting for someone to come back from the bar and neither of us were at the barrier. Several other rude pushers too. Not what you expect at an elbow gig I agree, but when you are playing to such a huge crowd then you'll always get some.
Back to top Go down
boy
little beast
little beast
boy

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2014, 18:52

mrswoman wrote:
Thanks to you putting your pic up, Boy, I realised I'd seen you too! Glad you had a better time this gig Smile
Guy was just ready to take the pic and then jumped up for "Holy cow I love your eyes"  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Molly
fallen angel
fallen angel
Molly

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr 2014, 19:41

mrswoman wrote:
she seemed pretty giddy/worse for wear? with arms everywhere  Neutral 

Yeah, she was very drunk and aggressively determined to stand at the front so its not really surprising she acted like that (not that that is an excuse), but it still ruined the evening, other than the first few songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April 9 - Phones4U Arena   April 9 - Phones4U Arena Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April 9 - Phones4U Arena
Page 1 of 1