elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jodrell Bank Transmissions

Go down 
+34
Carl0sAlbert0
jillygumbo
allyngibson
emma
Icen
MagicalTrevor
mitchy
Bright Grey
LongLegs
Dovesmad
holmes
Trains Are...Mint
redliz3
TinTin
Molly
joemanc
hilaryg
mainscoe
suered
andy_landy
Jones
Mr Woman
OllieCT
natalia
Kim
Lynne
Lillybef
Emylou123
ticky
ElbowFreak
My Bury Vest
lucky with disease
Cestriansteve
mrswoman
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 12:31

Lillybef wrote:
Andy Landy, gutted we didnt get to meet up, but next time Smile P.S Im very intigued about these recordings you made..... I hope that there wasnt any ' lovin' going on. ha ha Smile

Oh, there was plenty of lovin' going on that night, and not just in my little world, how's about that lad, Martin, that got up onstage to propose to his girlfriend, Mikki?! ("I'll be gutted if you say no!")

Class act of the sound guy to play barry white straight after that Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 13:08

Last edited by Toasted Toast on Mon 19 Jul 2021, 00:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
holmes
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 13:51

Thanks Kim for your kind words. Greet to meet you too. And Ticky, Joanie, Lorraine and Dave. When they couldn't go, Lorraine and Dave gave me their Wembley Arena tickets back in 2009 so great to finally meet them after 3 years of Facebooking!

I've got no complaints about the day. I expected to have to queue for food and drink, had pre-warnings about the car park, and really didn't mind the rain (except maybe when trying to sleep at 4am!)

Great support acts too; against popular opinion I actually thought Field Music were the pick of the bunch… thought they were fantastic. I think the organisation as a whole wasn't bad. I think the organisers have listened to criticism from last year, and I'd imagine they'll do so again to continually improve the event year after year.

Elbow highlights; High Ideals and Scattered Black & Whites, Guy's banter, 'Jocelyn', the telescope, the rain, the fireworks. Even a very tearful drunk woman having a full-on row with her boyfriend during The Birds was quite amusing (for a minute or two whereupon I just moved).

Great meeting up with and camping with those named above. Had VIP tickets (won in a comp) for the Sunday. Shame it was cancelled but meant I got home in time to put the kids to bed and watch England crash out of Euro 2012!

Lovely to have a relaxed hour or so chatting to Ticky in the sunshine (yep, sunshine) before heading off for our long drives home. Thanks for all the coffee… I needed it!

Hopefully I can embark on another Elbow/Manchester roadtrip in the future and meet up with you all again.

Here's a few photos from my Jodrell adventure…

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4177477676931.179955.1284049745&type=3&l=0aea609ae0

Cheers, Pete x
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 14:02

Another thumbs up for Field Music. I've been a fan for a while. They sounded superb. The Only reason I can think why people would complain about them is because they were relatively unknown to the majority of the audience.
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 14:06

Cestrian Saint wrote:
Another thumbs up for Field Music. I've been a fan for a while. They sounded superb. The Only reason I can think why people would complain about them is because they were relatively unknown to the majority of the audience.

i think field music are relatively unknown to just about everybody, which is a shame as they are ace. they've been on my radar for a few years now. check out our recording of them from earlier this year: http://manchestertaper.co.uk/?p=220
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 14:36

Last edited by Toasted Toast on Mon 19 Jul 2021, 00:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 14:50

Cestrian Saint wrote:

'I keep thinking about a new thing' (i think), is a monster of a tune, very Television-ish.

Glad to hear they went down well with the clued up few !study
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jun 2012, 19:03

A check in from me, to say thanks & love to the happy hardcore campers - Ticky, Joanie, Kim & gentleman Pete - as well as Andy Landy who luckily we did manage to catch up with. I was sorry to miss seeing other regulars (LongLegs, Thatchbitch, Lillybef & Cestrian for instance) & meet/tweet-ups due to the slightly ironic network problems - *cough, 76m wide radio telescope, cough*, but hey ho. Razz

Mr W & I saw a good chunk of the bill from 3 or 4 rows back from the barrier, then moved to the back halfway through elbow's set as it was getting dark, to enjoy the projections' full effect. After last year's Transmissions gig, we knew the dish becomes one of the stars of the show in its own right, but of course the fireworks were amazing too.

Someone's compilation of both:

Just as an aside, the union jack projected at the very end was more to do with the next day's prep - the aborted Paul Weller gig - as later we saw (yes, while waiting in the car park!) the full range of mod-friendly designs were being checked out against the dish. Including the mod target/RAF symbol which some of us thought was a fried egg! Wink Nothing to do with elbow though, whatsoever.

My support faves: Cherry Ghost - been meaning to see them for yonks, though they played at a slightly mellower pace on the day than usual on record. Didn't mind Field Music as I've heard them around a bit lately, but would have liked to have caught Willy Mason's set which I just missed.

Re feedback for the gig, the Live at Jodrell Bank people are prepared to listen; look out for the email we got today asking for comments. Believe it or not we actually saw some improvements from last year: Despite people's nightmare experiences getting away, it still took us less time this year in dreadful need-to-dig-you-out-with-a-tractor conditions than it did in 2011 in gorgeous baked soil weather. There are some things they perhaps should have sussed by now like Liz's bad experience, but like all problems - if you don't tell them what's up, they won't necessarily know to fix it.

Last edited by mrswoman on Mon 25 Jun 2012, 19:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot YouTube tag)
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 21:11

Ok, it's a bit late but I'd still like to throw in my tuppence worth!
This was one of my most enjoyable 'Bo gigs and it really was all to do with the lovely company and the whole experience surrounding it.
Ticky was an absolute angel and collected me from the airport the day before and we had an absolutely superb night in the b&b; nice food, lots of wine and lots of laughs - it was ace!
The next day we met up with Lorraine and Dave on the campsite and afer a lovely brew (thanks Lorraine!) we got a phonecall from Kim to say she was already at the venue and she was the only one there! Then Pete arrived while we were waiting for our taxi and it was just such a pleasure to meet him!
Andy-Landy: As I said, Kim got there first but when the gates opened her ticket-checker was rather slow and mine wasn't, so I was first in! Razz
I ran like a lunatic and according to Kim even did a little jump for joy as I got to the barrier first! All the staff were laughing their asses off 'cause when I turned around to survey the hordes of people making a dash for the barrier there was no-one to be seen for miles except for a very distant Ticky! Hehe... Embarassed Oh well, I dont care; I got my spot!
I liked all the support acts but I enjoyed Lianne LeHavas the most.
Thankfully the rain held off until the main event and I was absolutely delighted to hear High Ideals live for the first time (well, the second actually: we heard them doing it in soundcheck) - it's my fave song off the last album (controversial!) and it sounded magnificent!
I loved hearing some of the oldies again: Leaders, Station + SB&W but most of all I loved that they mixed the set-list up a bit! I love you
It was fan-diddly-tastic! The sound was spot-on and they really looked like they were having fun!
Ticky and I both felt it seemed a bit short but maybe time just flies when you're having fun!
I was a bit sad to hear the opening strings for 'One Day' as that signalled the end of a great gig...
Trying to get out of the venue and the carpark was also a bit of an adventure - thank you sooo much Pete for the lift and the shelter of your lovely warm car! Then back to Ticky's (luxury) tent for a nutrituous meal of crisps and biscuits washed down with Whiskey and Elbow beer! Lots of chat and laughs about guilty pleasures and educating Kim on probably the worst song ever written. Although opinions did differ, the song in question is definitely a howler! Can't even remember going to bed but do have a vague memory of discussing the weight(?) of our planet with Dave. (How drunk was I ???)
Anyway, as I said: a great experience. Fab gig but most of all, fantastic people! You guys made it special: Ticky, Kim, Dave, Lorraine, Pete: you're ace! Andy-Landy always fun to talk to you and lovely to meet Queen Ali as well.
Let's do it again folks!!!
And those of you who weren't there: please come next time!!!
It was FAB!
I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
mainscoe
fallen angel
fallen angel
mainscoe

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jun 2012, 13:18

Cestrian Saint wrote:
The conditions were always going to be bad. Personally I think they should've pulled it earlier in the week and re-scheduled for later in the year. However, it didn't stop me enjoying the show. Glad I opted out of parking on the official car park in favor of a mate's business a mile or so away. I actually used my £5.00 car park ticket (which looked identical to the gig tickets) to get into the gig. The staff didn't even check it. lol
My biggest complaint isn't the weather, it's the fact that elbow now seem to be an attractive band to the flag waving Tory brigade who would normally be found at Gary Barlow's concert for the Queen. The idiots who still think that, 'The Seldom Seen Kid' is their debut album and talk through 'Scattered Black & Whites' because they've never heard it before.
Please, Elbow. Make your next record something really dark that they'll all hate. Hopefully this will force them all back to their Elton John concerts. Sadly, doing the Olympic theme will only have the opposite effect and probably attract more of these types. :-/

I latched onto elbow at the time of SSK, and although love the acclaim they've recieved for this and BARB, thoroughly enjoyed discovering the back catalogue (as you do!), so what a delight to hear them continue to include some of the 'bigger' old songs - Station Approach was staggering as was SB&W (although the best time for fireworks????). However, doesn't mean that because they are older songs they desevrve less appreciation from the serial talkers. Talking of which................ box tickers - we were fortunate enough to be in the hospitality tent and spotted Craig and Mark with some family members - we did ask for a photo and they posed quite happily with my daughter and had a little word............as we walked away, someone tagged us and asked "who was that you were having your photo with?" TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jun 2012, 14:08

Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jun 2012, 14:16

No Blu-Ray?
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jun 2012, 17:35

We heard that rumour - I do hope they show Jones sprinting across the field at top speed. There was definitely a chap filming her sporting triumph!!!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jun 2012, 21:31

ticky wrote:
We heard that rumour - I do hope they show Jones sprinting across the field at top speed. There was definitely a chap filming her sporting triumph!!!

Oh God... Embarassed
I even said I didn't care as it was probably some cr*ppy local news station camera and nobody would see it... No
Back to top Go down
jillygumbo
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jun 2012, 06:48

I just want to add that I really enjoyed the Elbow at Jodrell Bank event. I haven't been to a gig for many years and was worried about not being able to bring a chair! Need I have worried, no! - in the end.

Many thanks to Redliz for helping me out relating to contacting the venue re chairs, disabled access, etc. I did come along to the disabled platform a couple of times looking for you, asked a couple of people, but didn't find you. I parked myself in front of the VIP area barrier with my chair and crutch. Not a fantastic view of the stage but I got a close up of John Bishop and Chris Mead (character) from Waterloo Road. Think I saw others too that must have been celebrities!

Concert was brilliant, despite the rain. The impromptu rendition of One Day Like This in the entrance canopy on the way out by 'everyone' was fantastic.

The only marr on the evening was trying to get out of the car park fields afterwards. We started the van, sat for a couple of minutes, turned the engine off, climbed into the back and went to sleep [no overnight camping!]. Two hours later we woke to find the cars around us had gone and the queue was slowing moving up the field. The tractors with their backwards-facing white lights totally confused me in my sleepy mode and I panicked a little, dropping my purse on the grass while taking a better look, and not realising until I'd vacated the site.

So if anyone picked up a brown leather purse, I would appreciate it and the driving licence back - not bothered about the cash! And the credit card has been cancelled and reported. Faint hope, I know!

Next time, I'm gonna get a VIP ticket to avoid the queues and go there on a coach! Unless there's camping allowed!

Smile
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jun 2012, 15:06

OMG!!! Finally a live DVD!!! Yay! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 01 Jul 2012, 22:12

I'm having a bit of post gig blues - goodness knows when we'll see them next...
Back to top Go down
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours
TinTin

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Jul 2012, 21:10

Ha ha ticky ,me too ! I thought I have to try and listen to some of my other bands and stop thinking of them, but there are reminders everywhere ! lady in town today saying "yeh I go there from time to time " then the olympic coverage on our local radio playing snippets of First steps, magazine article looking at old black and whites,ping! the songs are stuck in my head and I need another fix. Laughing
Back to top Go down
TinTin
friend of ours
friend of ours
TinTin

Female Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 02 Jul 2012, 21:14

Great news about the DVD! Did anyone get a poster ? were they available to buy .I didn't notice anyone with one .
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Jul 2012, 18:35

I didn't see any, mind you we didn't move from the barrier for 9 hours...
Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 03 Jul 2012, 23:17

I got a poster! It was small, inexpensive, and survived with few injuries considering it endured the rain on a non-waterproof canvas bag.

By the way, I loved, loved the gig (being an astrophysicist, more than I could care to give away Very Happy). My shoes got stuck in mud most of the time, I screamed my lungs out, in vain: "Jocelyn Bell" and Scattered Black and Whites was just out-worldly.

But, getting back to the topic, the posters were there indeed. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://dyingdays.net
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Jul 2012, 21:01

ticky wrote:
I'm having a bit of post gig blues - goodness knows when we'll see them next...

Is no-one going to see them at any of the fezzies??? Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 07 Jul 2012, 14:44

Last edited by Toasted Toast on Mon 19 Jul 2021, 00:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl0sAlbert0
fallen angel
fallen angel
Carl0sAlbert0

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 08 Jul 2012, 18:36

MagicalTrevor wrote:
No Blu-Ray?

I mentioned this on Twitter and apparently they were filming in HD, so I would imagine a Blu-Ray release will occur. No date for it yet though!

Loved the gig, the queue at the end didn't really bother me. There are roughly 10-12,000 people there, 80% of which probably travelled by car. There is always going to be a wait to get out of the car park, especially when the venue is in the middle of the countryside. The mud, couldn't be helped sadly.

Spent most of the day in the Science area so had no real queues until we made our way over to the main field to catch Field Music and grab some dinner. Spent about 80 minutes queueing for a roast beef sandwich, but again, it's a gig so I expect that.

Took our position to the left of the stage, about 30ft from the very top of the runway. Picked the wrong spot though, as whilst the view was excellent, the crowd in close vacinity were terrible. No atmosphere whatsoever.

Loved the performance though, and because the crowd were quiet around us it sounded like there was very little crowd participation, although having seen videos on YouTube since, I know this isn't true. Glad they played SB&W and LOTFW but would have loved 2 or 3 more older ones such as Powder Blue or Mexican Standoff. A setlist akin to their 2009 MEN show would have been great.

I await the DVD!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Jul 2012, 14:46

Great news about the DVD, I am looking forward to that! Also glad to see all the accounts from those of you who went and braved the weather and hassle! Sounds like a great show and a lot of fun! I've seen a few of the videos posted from Jodrell Bank and it looked rather wild and wooly during a good chunk of it, so y'all didn't have it easy out there! But the show seemed wonderful and I would have loved to see it myself. I was a bit put off by the fireworks during Scattered Black & Whites, that didn't work for me at all. Other than that though, everything I've seen was awesome. Like I said, can't wait for that DVD! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jodrell Bank Transmissions   Jodrell Bank Transmissions - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jodrell Bank Transmissions
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next