elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which Album Versions do you listen to?

Go down 
+2
ChrissieInFL
drewbie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
drewbie
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Which Album Versions do you listen to? Empty
PostSubject: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 02:30

First- I am new here, and thrilled that this forum exists. I am an elbow-head and am just crazy about this band.

Since all of their albums (save TSSK) have been issued with different tracks, which versions do you all interpret as the 'official' one...?

I'm in the US, I listen to COT with Whisper Grass and Lay Down Your Cross, but all other versions omit these songs... should the UK version be the 'official' one, since that's where the band is from?

I only consider alternatives when the extra songs are NOT just tacked on to the end, as was done with some versions of COT, putting Whisper Grass & Brave New Shave at the end... but when the songs are placed within the album, it seems to demonstrate an intent of the band to 'reshape' the album ...

And for LotFW, it just makes sense to me that mcgreggor would come after picky bugger, rather than as a b-side, because the sounds are linked, like the band wanted that song to come next....

Yes I'm aware of how nerdy this all sounds, but I believe strongly in the idea of an album as a 'whole' work.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 14:31

First off -- hi and welcome, drewbie!

I am also in the States but I tend to try and buy the import version of Elbow's albums as well as the domestic US release, if the track listings are different. I don't buy all the import singles/EP's, though I wish I could, because I would go broke! But I think either UK or US version is "official", because it seems that they approach both markets with equal intent. You can find bonus tracks on both sides; they don't just save them for UK or US only.

And I agree that it makes a difference if the "extra" songs are placed within the body of the album as opposed to being added on afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Hoggy
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 16:22

With AITB I always listen to the version with the bonus tracks on it. I'm not so choosey with the others though.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2008, 03:07

Same as Hoggy with AITB. I just listen to the UK originals of the others, with the bonus tracks as just separate songs- listed in my media player as their corresponding B-sides.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitimeThu 23 Oct 2008, 07:48

I mostly try to get the versions with the most songs on it. In the case of "Cast of Thousand" I bought the US-version for my mom, because I had the european version yet. And I try to get all B-Sides. So I am curious if the B-Sides Album will be out someday, because much B-Sides I have only as mp3.
Asleep in the Back I have a version where even "Can't stop" is missing!! But I got later the version with "Can't stop" AND "Asleep..."(the track)
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Steveissteve
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitimeThu 09 Apr 2009, 09:33

Hah, i'm like this too. I get a bit upset when there's multiple version of an album, coz i like to get my head around it as a whole. I have the version of asleep in the back with the title track as a bonus track (i think that's normal) as it sounds much better with the break between tailfly and newborn. I don't like the bonus at the end of TSSK (even though it's nice) because friend of ours is such a perfect end. I hadn't even heard of McGreggor! :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Album Versions do you listen to?   Which Album Versions do you listen to? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Album Versions do you listen to?
Page 1 of 1