elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Album Number 6 starts here...

Go down 
+40
The Night Won
suered
lucky with disease
Ifordy
tumbles
amicausa
mrswoman
boy
achtung3d
Joost
Mirrorball
Kiresg
ukkonen
AyannaD
mouxlaloulouda
MagicalTrevor
holmes
heshofcheese
NeonChoir
OllieCT
Kim
Jones
TinTin
Molly
Niftium
mainscoe
Lynne
ChrissyBoy
ticky
ChrissieInFL
elbowismymuse
Puncture Repair
My Bury Vest
The DaddyO 44
Open arms
ElbowFreak
JessieAddick
allyngibson
WOBLEwoble
errant
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jan 2014, 22:50

just spotted that amazon have updated their page to reflect the new title...
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 00:16

I don't know if I would be better off posting this as its own topic, but I haven't seen this shared yet. Guy gives some insight into his life and the process of the album. Warning: it's not an easy read at all.

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/features/anonymous/rock-and-real
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 08:22

ukkonen wrote:
I don't know if I would be better off posting this as its own topic, but I haven't seen this shared yet. Guy gives some insight into his life and the process of the album. Warning: it's not an easy read at all.

thanks for the spot, and sharing here... seemed an ok read to me...
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Jan 2014, 20:31

ukkonen wrote:

Superb article that mate - loved reading it.
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jan 2014, 23:17

ukkonen wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Loved the insight. Super excited about "This Blue World" now, given the backstory. Sounds like a lot of him is interwoven.

That ending quote is pure dynamite:

Guy Garvey wrote:
A really horrendous phrase that you hear a lot is ‘you’re not responsible for their happiness’. You know, when you’re talking about how you relate to other important individuals in your life. Course you are! It’s the best that people can be, to look after one another. It’s the best you can do with your time. Get more than three people in a room and they’ll create something more than the sum of the parts, whether it’s the moon landings or the Manchester premature-baby unit. That’s how you progress as a species
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 09:18

Track times from iTunes since it hasn't been posted yet:

1. This Blue World 7:12
2. Charge 5:17
3. Fly Boy Blue / Lunette 6:22
4. New York Morning 5:26
5. Real Life (Angel) 6:46
6. Honey Sun 4:44
7. My Sad Captains 5:59
8. Colour Fields 3:37
9. The Take Off and Landing of Everything 7:14
10. The Blanket of Night 4:14
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 14:58

does anyone know?  the art work that the different websites are using for the new album :

Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 0602537547685_medium

is it the finished product?  or a mock up while they decide what the proper art work is gonna be???
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 15:10

A good question, and I really hope it's a mock up - I am so sick of the 'Keep Calm' meme
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 16:08

MagicalTrevor wrote:
A good question, and I really hope it's a mock up - I am so sick of the 'Keep Calm' meme

so pleased im not the only one who has had enough of the keep calm thing...

may be sacrilege to say this around here, but i think the album art work is the one chink in elbow's armor...  don't really think there stuff stands up against some of their peers when lined up on a shelf...  and the less said about the artwork on the last one, the better...
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 17:10

Opinions are not sacrilege...but you may spark debate Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Mirrorball
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 17:12

MagicalTrevor wrote:

Yeah the official site confirms its not the final artwork, phew! And yeah I agree, the whole meme has got out of hand, I keep seeing new stupid ones all the time No 

And I really like some of those titles, some beauties as you'd expect from them. Very eager to hear 'This Blue World' considering their track record of producing stunning openers, though at the same time as with many of my favourite bands, I'm always slightly apprehensive I might not like it or might not live up to expectations, though I trust them to be consistent as ever! Can't wait, its looking good for the album and New York Morning is a beaut Very Happy
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 18:45

Thing is, they're not a bombastic band so their artwork is going to be minimalistic and simple. I am glad that the current artwork for TTOALOE is not final as that is too simple and would be lazy IMO. I like COT and TSSK artwork best. I wouldn't want the artwork cluttered....wouldn't suit them at all. Something a bit more striking this time though perhaps (compared to BARB).
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 20:45

Mirrorball wrote:
Yeah the official site confirms its not the final artwork, phew!

Where did you find this? I'm not a fan of the new cover art at all - I'd love some peace of mind knowing it's just a place holder.

Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jan 2014, 21:20

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/elbow-new-cd-deluxe-album/invt/0602537547685

I believe this is what is being referred to, although I remember that message being there since it was a generic elbow album #6 cover art. It could be laziness and they forgot to remove it. The fact that they keep using the same kind of look for singles makes me nervous. I could buy the lack of cover art for the album since it was last minute, but I do know that Fly Boy Blue / Lunette leaked back in December and New York Morning had been discussed as the potential lead single in interviews prior to this week. Why don't they have better cover art for those tracks if those titles were set in stone?

The hypothesis to be made is that they might have had materials for CHCM and then canned it. Now they're starting from scratch with how they want it to be presented. Or this is the direction they've chosen. I would have preferred something more minimal if their direction is all text.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jan 2014, 00:46

Edit: Website that had it was only temporarily down. Here's the big version: https://i.imgur.com/JWkcV2u.jpg

No more worrying, I think.

Edit 2: Found a curious image (Real World Studios, I believe) on the main website if you try to view it on your mobile in desktop mode: https://i.imgur.com/IS3itGU.jpg

Last edited by ukkonen on Sat 25 Jan 2014, 07:56; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jan 2014, 01:01

Oh, that's comforting. Hopefully the hypothesis is right and the last minute change just threw everything for a loop
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jan 2014, 03:45

Pretty sure that's placeholder artwork. Not sure where I read it, but one site or another had that note.

Fantastic track lengths, those.
Back to top Go down
Mirrorball
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 01:00

ukkonen wrote:
Edit: Website that had it was only temporarily down. Here's the big version: https://i.imgur.com/JWkcV2u.jpg

Edit 2: Found a curious image (Real World Studios, I believe) on the main website if you try to view it on your mobile in desktop mode: https://i.imgur.com/IS3itGU.jpg

Weird, the artwork to NYM I just bought on iTunes is just plain like the current album cover, only blue.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jan 2014, 03:46

Mirrorball wrote:
ukkonen wrote:

Weird, the artwork to NYM I just bought on iTunes is just plain like the current album cover, only blue.

Really odd, this is the webpage that had it:

http://news.getmusicasia.com/2014/01/22/elbow-new-york-morning-single-release-january-27th/

It looks like the email that was sent out but with a different cover art for the single. At the very least, it can be used as a replacement image for people who want something a little less... bland
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 02:01

A small tease for the sounds of certain tracks, courtesy of the daily star (great photo of the lads too to be found at the source):

Quote :
But better still is My Sad Captains, a stunning tale about the importance of good friends that will have festival-goers hugging each other.

There are also nods towards R&B in the lo-fi production of Colour Fields, while Honey Sun has unusually menacing trip-hop keyboards.

Despite the experimentation in styles, Elbow never lose sight of the importance of a good tune, and the hardrocking title track stays addictive for all its eight minutes.

source
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 03:50

Does anyone know the difference between the standard CD and deluxe CD versions? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 09:22

AyannaD wrote:
Does anyone know the difference between the standard CD and deluxe CD versions? Thanks in advance.

back in the day, it used to be the packaging they came in... more plush box etc rather than a standard plastic dual case... not sure this time round, don't recall the deluxe versions ever having extra tracks or anything...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 14:28

ukkonen wrote:
A small tease for the sounds of certain tracks, courtesy of the daily star (great photo of the lads too to be found at the source):

Quote :
...Honey Sun has unusually menacing trip-hop keyboards.

"Unusually menacing trip-hop keyboards", you say? Hmmmmm. That got my attention. I would like to hear these "unusually menacing trip-hop keyboards", ASAP!

Oh, who am I kidding? I want to hear every damn note of the whole damn album ASAP!  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 14:32

I'm stoked for "My Sad Captains". Supposed to be about drinking buddies and the title is lifted straight off a line from Antony and Cleopatra. Very exciting
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jan 2014, 14:33

errant wrote:
AyannaD wrote:

back in the day, it used to be the packaging they came in... more plush box etc rather than a standard plastic dual case... not sure this time round, don't recall the deluxe versions ever having extra tracks or anything...

Both Japanese and UK Amazon pages are showing the deluxe edition to have 2 discs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Album Number 6 starts here...
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next