elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Album Number 6 starts here...

Go down 
+40
The Night Won
suered
lucky with disease
Ifordy
tumbles
amicausa
mrswoman
boy
achtung3d
Joost
Mirrorball
Kiresg
ukkonen
AyannaD
mouxlaloulouda
MagicalTrevor
holmes
heshofcheese
NeonChoir
OllieCT
Kim
Jones
TinTin
Molly
Niftium
mainscoe
Lynne
ChrissyBoy
ticky
ChrissieInFL
elbowismymuse
Puncture Repair
My Bury Vest
The DaddyO 44
Open arms
ElbowFreak
JessieAddick
allyngibson
WOBLEwoble
errant
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-03-03

Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 17:14

How about the bands passionate UK supporters eh?
Back to top Go down
http://www.whateversleft.co.uk
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 17:14

tumbles wrote:
How about the bands passionate UK supporters eh?

i think geography wise we win in other ways over the US of A...
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 17:23

Very true, but still doesn't seem fair Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 17:49

Oh My God You Guys!!!!

Album! Here! Now! Arrrrrrggggghhhhh can't even verbalize - SO GOOD - SO HAPPY!

I will return when I have something coherent to contribute but just Oh My God You Guys!!

bounce   cheers   bounce   cheers   bounce   cheers  bounce
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:00

I think it's a nice gesture if that's the reasoning, because US fans are used to release date delays and before TSSK, very little chances to see them live. I would have preferred an early release for everyone, but I'd be a fool to bite the hand that delivers an Elbow album early. They've set up a lot of listening parties for this across England and honestly, I'd rather have the experience of listening to an album for the first time with fans rather than waking up my partner at 1am and be on the receiving end of a dirty glare. Wink

And Chrissie, you're going to love it.
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:05

ukkonen wrote:
I think it's a nice gesture if that's the reasoning, because US fans are used to release date delays and before TSSK, very little chances to see them live. I would have preferred an early release for everyone, but I'd be a fool to bite the hand that delivers an Elbow album early. They've set up a lot of listening parties for this across England and honestly, I'd rather have the experience of listening to an album for the first time with fans rather than waking up my partner at 1am and be on the receiving end of a dirty glare. Wink

I know. For once we catch a MAJOR break. I am beyond thrilled. And profoundly appreciative, too.

ukkonen wrote:

Already do, my friend. Already do.  Very Happy  I'm on second full-album repeat just now (having repeated a few individual tracks several times). Ignoring everything else I'm supposed to be doing today but I don't care. Just genuinely basking in it.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:17

ChrissieInFL wrote:
ukkonen wrote:

I know. For once we catch a MAJOR break. I am beyond thrilled. And profoundly appreciative, too.

ukkonen wrote:

Already do, my friend. Already do.  Very Happy  I'm on second full-album repeat just now (having repeated a few individual tracks several times). Ignoring everything else I'm supposed to be doing today but I don't care. Just genuinely basking in it.

I don't think I would have ever expected this gesture from them. It's rewarding after being a fan for almost ten years now.

And I was like that earlier this morning. 4 hours of Elbow in place of sleep isn't a regret of mine. Also very happy that my prediction about Honey Sun ended up being true.  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Ifordy
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:21

Could anyone tell me how a Brit can listen to this album now please??
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:27

ukkonen wrote:
I don't think I would have ever expected this gesture from them. It's rewarding after being a fan for almost ten years now.

And I was like that earlier this morning. 4 hours of Elbow in place of sleep isn't a regret of mine. Also very happy that my prediction about Honey Sun ended up being true.  cheers 

I am right there with you 100% on everything. I actually half-stumbled on this iTunes thing by accident - I went on to redeem a gift card that my husband just gave me, and on the front page of the store, they had "The Take Off..." featured. I clicked on it, figuring "what the hell", and it was giving me the option to buy. So I went ahead and clicked, and damned if it didn't start downloading! Then I came on here to see what was up, and I saw your post apparently confirming the iTunes thing, so I went on my merry way to listen to it, and I am just now coming up for air.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:36

oooh, you lucky things.... hope you are enjoying it  Smile 

I also hope amazon have it in the post early !
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 18:39

Ifordy wrote:
Could anyone tell me how a Brit can listen to this album now please??

Set up a US iTunes account (use a us address, doesn't matter where) and then purchase a $15 iTunes card for us store from somewhere like here http://www.offgamers.com/apple-itunes/itunes-us/itunes-us-gift-card-c-2281-4444-4445.ogm - redeem voucher in us account and download.

I've listened to the album twice through now and it's mesmerising. I think Q maybe right with the best yet line.

I can't even begin to find the superlatives for My Sad Captains. I think they've held this one back to simply blow you away.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 21:09

What state did you choose? You must have lucked out and chosen a state that now charges tax. For future reference to anyone attempting a digital purchase: always use New Hampshire if you want to dodge a sales tax.
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 21:19

Arizona I think, it was a 10.18c i think. Obviously didn't realise that part!
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 21:23

I should have known better to include that for you guys when I posted about it, my apologies. With all this frenzy from the morning, I completely neglected any manners. Welcome around, tumbles, I'd love to hear what sort of Elbow tracks you're into as everyone's different in their tastes.
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 21:41

Thanks, I wouldn't say I have a definite favourite style as I love anything from scattered black and whites, to not a job and red.

Very much loving real life after a few listens..
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 03 Mar 2014, 23:48

Oh my, y'all. So enjoying this album. I can't wait until everyone hears it and comment on what they think. Until then, this is the best way I can sum up my reaction without giving away anything:

Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Umapul11
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Mar 2014, 00:56

I can't feel guilty about getting an early break for once. Just can't. It's too good! And a couple days before my birthday? How sweet of them!

I'm on my third listen now - it's just terrific. Super dense and yet totally accessible in all the right places. (Best examples would be the title track versus "The Blanket of Night". Dense is to accessible as the title track is to "The Blanket of Night"!)

I've really, really enjoyed "The Blue World", "Real Life (Angel)" and "Charge" (especially after months of listening to a low-quality live cut of it). And when I have the time, I am looking forward to dissecting the title track, because man is that one ever a beast. (In a good way!)

(EDIT):

Here's the most composed thought I can muster at this point: I loved Barb! - don't take this as doubt in any form - but that whole LP felt a little spooked to me (from what I have no doubt is the lads' sudden rise to fame after so long).

Barb! felt to me like the lads were trying to juggle the best move for keeping new listeners while simultaneously fulfilling their own artistic needs, and Takeoff sheds that aura immediately. It's delightful unapologetic prog and I love it.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Mar 2014, 16:02

Quick thought on my first listen...

The song "The Takeoff and Landing of Everything" reminds me immensely of The Byrds' "Eight Miles High."  The overall sound, the vocal style.  I think I'm going to play them back to back just to see.

ETA: There's also a late-period Oasis vibe to the track.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Mar 2014, 17:15

allyngibson wrote:

Erm - is this a positive thing?  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Mar 2014, 17:19

errant wrote:
allyngibson wrote:

Erm - is this a positive thing?  Neutral 

I think so. Though I know that some might not see that as a positive. I like Oasis a lot, even when they were at their most bloated and over-the-top, and sometimes I can almost imagine Noel jamming with Elbow.

The song reminds me of Oasis' work on Dig Out Your Soul, some "Falling Down" but especially "To Be Where There's Life."
Back to top Go down
tumbles
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 04 Mar 2014, 17:49

allyngibson wrote:
Quick thought on my first listen...

The song "The Takeoff and Landing of Everything" reminds me immensely of The Byrds' "Eight Miles High."  The overall sound, the vocal style.  I think I'm going to play them back to back just to see.

Oh so it wasn't just me then, had a similar though not more than an hour ago!

Having covered nigh on 300 miles on the road today I've had a good solid listen several times to the entire album and I'll just reaffirm the previous status of it being a cracker.  Guy's voice is somehow seeming to get better with age.  I'm only found two tracks difficult to really get into so far and one being the aforementioned title track. It maybe I need some repeats of it to warm to it.  The only other song I'm struggling with a bit is Honey Sun. It is sandwiched in-between New York Minute & My Sad Captains so it's almost a lull between the two.

Honestly think this is a band at the very top of their game, really delivering there very best.  BARB was probably quite difficult to ever follow up to TSSK and perhaps with a bit of pressure off they've gone and pushed the benchmark beyond anything previous.
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Mar 2014, 00:34

I've been wondering, do you think 'Give us G&T and sympathy' (Charge) and 'we're plummeting like crippled crows' (My Sad Captains) are references to Puncture Repair and Lucky with Disease or Guy reusing ideas for lines? This isn't the first time. 'Nearly wore the window through' appeared on a track titled Blue on Blue when Guy had a brief project called Western Arms before it was used in Puncture Repair.

Another stray observation, with the exception of TSSK, Guy has managed to use 'blossom' at least once on an album.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Mar 2014, 01:09

The more I listen to "This Blue World," the more it hurts. After the loud album openers of the last few albums, the last thing I expected was a tearjerker to start an album. The last three minutes is just heartrending.
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Mar 2014, 15:55

Note to US fans: I preordered the CD from Amazon last month. After hearing the iTunes news, I went to see if my "AutoRip" copy was similarly available for download a week early. It is, so rejoice!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 05 Mar 2014, 18:16

I just now received the email from Elbow/Universal Music, to advise me that US fans can download the LP at iTunes. Little late, but thanks for the tip, Universal!  Rolling Eyes 

allyngibson wrote:
The song "The Takeoff and Landing of Everything" reminds me immensely of The Byrds' "Eight Miles High."

I hear it now you mention it. I actually heard shades of Yo La Tengo in that track, myself. At least during some of the instrumental bits. But I hear what you're hearing too.

Niftium wrote:
Note to US fans: I preordered the CD from Amazon last month. After hearing the iTunes news, I went to see if my "AutoRip" copy was similarly available for download a week early. It is, so rejoice!

Good to know! I have a physical copy coming too, at some point, via a pre-order, but it has been AMAZING to listen to the songs over the past few days. Just awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album Number 6 starts here...   Album Number 6 starts here... - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Album Number 6 starts here...
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next