elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Horrors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

The Horrors Empty
PostSubject: The Horrors   The Horrors Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 14:06

Listening to their latest, Skying, on Spotify.

I thought I would hate it, what with all the hype, but they were OK at Wireless so...and you know what? - it is actually bloody good. It does seem quite a lot like a blend of all the good 80's/ early 90's records from their collections - but their collection must look a lot like mine, so it's all good. Think Chameleons, Stone Roses, Echo & The Bunnymen, Suede, Sonic Youth, New Order and Simple Minds (both post-punk and arena incarnations) for starters (the synths in "Still Life" send a shiver down my back, so emotive are they of 30 years ago). Also they like a bit of Neu! and Bowie too, I reckon. Luckily there is a breadth of sound and a confidence (the sort of confidence to let a couple of tracks stretch out to 8 minutes) plus enough of their own character to get away with this musical pilfering.

Musical magpies maybe, but ones with impeccable taste and musicianship to match.

Just go and have a listen to "Moving Further Away" which starts like the Human League playing "Station to Station" before kicking into a Motorik monster, building up layers of sound before pausing at 5 minutes with some glorious keyboard cadences before the beat kicks off again and the song hurtles to its conclusion, the rhythm pummelling you into submission. Then it just stops. Fantastic stuff.
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

The Horrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrors   The Horrors Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 18:46

Fully agree Mr_K.....good post
They are currently streaming the album on their website for anyone who doesn't have spotify

It's halfway down the homepage

http://www.thehorrors.co.uk/

Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

The Horrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrors   The Horrors Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 16:55

Mr_K wrote:
Think Simple Minds

strangely enough heard these on the radio the other day - and thought to myself - who's that with the early simple minds
rythmic synth thing going on there Laughing
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

The Horrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrors   The Horrors Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 18:23

having a blast of Sparkle in The Rain, Empires and Dance and Sons and Fascination
in honour Laughing
Back to top Go down
Audrey
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-07-06

The Horrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrors   The Horrors Icon_minitimeTue 02 Aug 2011, 09:29

I like a lot their second album. I bought this new one some weeks ago but I only have listened it 2 times, and I need more to tell about it. Anyway, it seems less 'dark' than 'Primary colors'. Very interesting band anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Horrors Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Horrors   The Horrors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Horrors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: