elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...

Go down 
+8
Jonny
Calum
Dabamash
ChrissieInFL
Hotblack
MagicalTrevor
Glendarian
leespoons
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:15

You bunch of miserable gits Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:28

When I was young, I'd listen to the full top 40 with Mark Goodier every Sunday (and tape the stuff I liked the sound of Very Happy). I slowly stopped doing that around the age of 13 but I still like to catch glimpses of it while I'm cooking and the like.

I remember my dad saying to me that somewhere along the line he stopped paying attention the charts and he really regrets it, cuz now he doesn't know what's going on - I don't want that to happen!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:53

Blimey Jonny, you mean you've actually heard of 'tapes'? Are you sure you're 19?

I used to do the same thing... the first chart show I ever remember taping was from the week New Order re-released 'Blue Monday' in 1988 - not a bad start, although I seem to remember taping stuff like Debbie Gibson and Bros as well Embarassed

I did it for a couple of years, but then discovered girls (although it took them a bit longer to discover me)... but all those tapes are now landfill, sadly Sad
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 15:54

Glendarian wrote:
So I got great satisfaction when Forget Myself entered the charts at No. 12 and really enjoyed telling them so. Hasn't converted either of them though. Sad

How old are they? You wait, I bet they'll love Elbow when they get older... in the same way that it took me 20 years to appreciate the finer lyrical and musical nuances of Squeeze.
Back to top Go down
Jonny
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Jonny

Male Number of posts : 891

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2008, 16:01

lee spoons wrote:
Blimey Jonny, you mean you've actually heard of 'tapes'? Are you sure you're 19?

I used to do the same thing... the first chart show I ever remember taping was from the week New Order re-released 'Blue Monday' in 1988 - not a bad start, although I seem to remember taping stuff like Debbie Gibson and Bros as well Embarassed

I did it for a couple of years, but then discovered girls (although it took them a bit longer to discover me)... but all those tapes are now landfill, sadly Sad

Very Happy

Man, I hadn't even heard of CDs till I was at least 8, and even then they seemed to be some crazy invention that I didn't want in on. My dad's vinyl collection had slowly become my vinyl collection, and I'd spend loads of time recording them onto tape just because I can. Goooood tiiiimes.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 06:32

Grumpy old woman I may be Wink, but I do have happy memories of taping the Sweet, T Rex, Slade etc. on our "ultra-modern" cassette recorder in the 70s. It was just a case of sticking the thing next to the speaker of the radio or TV and so quite a few songs had loud shushes in the middle as someone walked into the room... I think I actually started by recording the odd song off Top of the Pops on an old reel-to-reel.

Anyways, back OT anyone know how One Day Like This is actually doing? Smile
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 07:17

It's not out for a few weeks... but I'd be interested to see if TSSK starts climbing back up the charts now it's on Radio 2.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 08:22

I hope so, not least as it would be more ammunition for my kids. Wink They're 12 and 13 btw, high time they got into better quality stuff than the latest X Factor winner & the like... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 08:36

Seems some people really like Radio 2 and others can't abide it!

I don't mind Ken Bruce's show and i quite like Steve Wright's too - although it's better when Radcliffe sits in - and obviously Radcliffe and Maconi together is a quality show.

I think it can only be a good thing that Elbow have a single of the week on R2, i don't see how it can do them any harm.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 09:00

R2 = Parents radio; therefore record of the week is uncool; therefore Elbow are uncool; therefore Elbow does not appeal to the younger kids who believe that cool is important (which is damn near all of them); therefore Elbow don't sell squillions of records. QED

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 09:21

Quote :
R2 = Parents radio

Certainly not this parent! Very Happy
But generally speaking isn't it the parents who spend money on records not the kids? (Not that I care, except of course for hoping that Elbow do well...)
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 11:08

Hotblack wrote:
R2 = Parents radio; therefore record of the week is uncool; therefore Elbow are uncool; therefore Elbow does not appeal to the younger kids who believe that cool is important (which is damn near all of them); therefore Elbow don't sell squillions of records. QED

Just my opinion.

I think you're missing the point here. What about Coldplay? Keane? Snow Patrol? Cherry Ghost? The f***ing Kooks? Razorf***inglight? All of these have had number one albums recently as far as I can remember, and all of these have had MASSIVE exposure on R2. Surely even we poor sad uncool parents who have to put up with Steve 'Love The Show' Wright every day deserve better than that lot?

Funnily enough, I've just had a conversation with the bloke who runs the courier service we use - at a guess I'd say he's in his early 40s, and he said 'the day I listen to Radio 2 is the day I die'. He still listens to Radio 1 - as do his teenage children. So I'm obviously hopelessly uncool Neutral
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 11:13

If it's any consolation, Lee, personally I don't think Radio 1 is any better than Radio 2. Smile (Which shows how totally cool I am Laughing)
Is Virgin still around? I used to listen to that when I was out & about in the car more but it was years ago so haven't a clue what it's like now. The music was OK but the adverts used to drive me bonkers - same with Caroline. I'm lucky enough to be able to listen via the computer now (which is where I discover my new music too), but when I'm out in the car it's CDs all the way for me.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2008, 11:56

XFM FTW!

And 6 Music...
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 11:35

lee spoons wrote:
I think you're missing the point here. What about Coldplay? Keane? Snow Patrol? Cherry Ghost? The f***ing Kooks? Razorf***inglight? All of these have had number one albums recently as far as I can remember, and all of these have had MASSIVE exposure on R2. Surely even we poor sad uncool parents who have to put up with Steve 'Love The Show' Wright every day deserve better than that lot?

Maybe. But all those bands had massive exposure on R1 early on as well.Have R1 ever really picked up on Elbow? I know LOTFW had a lot of exposure on the Edith Bowman and Whatsisname afternoon show. Sorry to be so cynical but did it make any real difference?

I know it sounds like I'm a miserable grump but I'm just trying to be realistic and/or pragmatic here.
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 12:02

Zane Lowe championed Grounds For Divorce somewhat and Jo Whiley's had them in the Live Lounge a couple of times.

But yeah, Radio 2 are more Elbow-aware but simply being on Radio 2 doesn't make a band decent - The Kooks and Razorlight are testament to that theory, as they're pure dross... something that Radio 1 know all about, 99% of the stuff they play is plain crap - Elbow and Cherry Ghost aside, of course.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 12 May 2008, 17:40

I think the problem is also the dilution of music over hundreds of possible outlets.
These days there are heaps of digital stations, music channels and online access which cater more for individual tastes rather than broad appeal.
When i was a lad....You had Top of The Pops every Thursday and that was basically it unless you had cable TV.
Remember terrestrial TV only had three, then four channels, and the number of radio stations available was limited.

I actually miss TOTP, just for keeping up with who is in the charts - not that they are meaningful. (But we must relate to the younger generation, before we turn grey and crinkly ! elephant )

Lets hope any exposure helps get some more sales, and if not then maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Lets face it, if Elbow had the commercial success of other bands, would they have produced the quality we love. I'm sure they would have been under corporate pressure to churn out "more of the same" and although it doesn't make them zillionaires, i think they must be pleased with the critical acclaim. I can't think of another band in my collection who have four truly great albums.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2008, 07:18

ChrissyBoy wrote:
I actually miss TOTP, just for keeping up with who is in the charts - not that they are meaningful. (But we must relate to the younger generation, before we turn grey and crinkly ! elephant )

Lets hope any exposure helps get some more sales, and if not then maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Lets face it, if Elbow had the commercial success of other bands, would they have produced the quality we love. I'm sure they would have been under corporate pressure to churn out "more of the same" and although it doesn't make them zillionaires, i think they must be pleased with the critical acclaim. I can't think of another band in my collection who have four truly great albums.

I can't argue with any of that. Well said that man. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2008, 09:21

ChrissyBoy wrote:
Lets face it, if Elbow had the commercial success of other bands, would they have produced the quality we love. I'm sure they would have been under corporate pressure to churn out "more of the same" and although it doesn't make them zillionaires, i think they must be pleased with the critical acclaim. I can't think of another band in my collection who have four truly great albums.

Well said, that man.
Back to top Go down
asleepintheback
fallen angel
fallen angel
asleepintheback

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 14 May 2008, 09:46

This thread sums up exactly how I feel these days, that Radio 1 plays utter parp. Listen to xfm and 6music these days (repeating myself another sign of getting older). However, nowt wrong with a bit of Terry on Radio 2, he's an institution that guy Wink Think the problem too is that albums tend to be bought more by grownups, so the singles chart is mostly for kids and therefore you get the less commercial bands with a bit of talent dare I say, doing better in the album charts.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 May 2008, 15:08

Actually heard Elbow on Radio1 today !
Edith played ODLT at 3.40ish.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 May 2008, 15:13

Good girl Edith, gotta love that woman.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 May 2008, 19:44

Well, considering Guy and she were an item at one point it's nice to see there's no animosity. Smile
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 May 2008, 21:03

IIRC she made Forget Myself her single of the week, and that came out very shortly after they split up. I'm certain they are still friends.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...   Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Single of the Week on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show is...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2