elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

R.I.P. Poly Styrene

Go down 
+2
Mr Woman
mrswoman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

R.I.P. Poly Styrene Empty
PostSubject: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011, 14:08

Very sad to hear Poly Styrene lost her battle with breast cancer.

She was a fighter to the last in many respects, not just with her illness, but also as such a positive role model.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/apr/26/poly-styrene-x-ray-spexhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/apr/26/poly-styrene-x-ray-spex
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitimeWed 27 Apr 2011, 08:28

RIP indeed. Another one gone far too young: A fighter to the very end.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitimeWed 27 Apr 2011, 09:24

So sad - She really battled some demons in her life.
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitimeWed 27 Apr 2011, 10:10

I'm listening to Generation Indigo, released just a month ago by Poly. Considering that she was undergoing treatment for the cancer that finally took her, it is a remarkably upbeat affair, although now inevitably tinged with sadness. I particularly like the tracks "I Luv Ur Sneakers" - LCD Soundsystem with a sense of humour, the angry "White Gold" with its soaring anthemic chorus, and "Thrash City" a 2 minute blast which sounds exactly like a song with that title should.

A bloody good way to go out if you ask me.

Also let's not forget that "Germ Free Adolescents" remains a classic.

Along with the likes of recently deceased Ari Up (and the rest of The Slits), Eve Libertine and Siouxsie Sioux (to name just a few), Poly was one of those women who, with a mixture of militancy, humour and sheer bloody minded attitude, kicked against the constraints of conformity in the late 70s/early 80s.

She had a pretty tumultuous and at times troubled life, but in every interview I have read or heard over the years she has sounded incredibly positive and vivacious.

RIP Poly.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitimeThu 28 Apr 2011, 18:10

ditto
Back to top Go down
Icen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-04-29

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 19:29

I was sad when I heard,.......I saw them in '78 playing with the Clash at the Anti-Nazi Rally at Brockwell Park in Brixton. They were mad, actually like Hawkwind with a hangover, but Poly was only about 18 at the time....."some say little girls should be seen and not heard but i say ...oh bondage up yours..!"
Outrageous at the time. Rest in Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.I.P. Poly Styrene   R.I.P. Poly Styrene Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Poly Styrene
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: