elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Commonwealth

Go down 
AuthorMessage
luckyman
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-04-05

The Commonwealth  Empty
PostSubject: The Commonwealth    The Commonwealth  Icon_minitimeTue 05 Apr 2011, 02:05

I've long been a fan of Akron, Ohio's The Black Keys (particularly the Brothers LP) and it just so happens that the same state has spawned an act--The Commonwealth--that seems to take some of its musical cues from our very own Elbow.

"Some Riots" and "Tower Crane Driver" have always been two of my favorite tracks from The Seldom Seen Kid--and it's heartening to hear other bands picking up where those tunes left off (in terms of orchestration). I found this Commonwealth band via a UK artist--Emily Baker--on Bandcamp over the weekend; the Elbow-esque parts kick in near the end--plenty of horn swells and strings and brittle-sounding piano chords:

http://thecommonwealth-music.bandcamp.com/track/ready-ready

But I want to open this up for a larger discussion--have any of you heard other bands veering in this direction (in terms of orchestral arrangements for rock songs)?
Back to top Go down

The Commonwealth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: other bands-
Jump to: