elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

M.E.N Show

Go down 
+27
mrswoman
lucky with disease
nikkijaydee
KieranFunzig
Nemo
emma
ticky
Cestriansteve
Fancy Pants
Paulo Paulo
AyannaD
ElbowFreak
ChrissyBoy
@MrIanGibson
Cozzer
hilaryg
sparky
Lynne
Lillybef
andy_landy
MagicalTrevor
Jones
Mr Woman
My Bury Vest
Kim
The Lippy Kid
jsweeting
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Project571
little beast
little beast
Project571

Male Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-07

M.E.N Show - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 21:51

There isn't really much too add to some of the excellent posts/reviews on these 7 pages.
But they were outstanding on Friday knocked Sheff into a cocked hat for sure. I've never really liked the M.E.N. but they seemed to not only fill it but make it intimate at the same time.

Also for me 10 times better than in 09.

It certainly got the weekend off to a flyer just what was required before joining the masses in London on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 22:27

Quote :
I'm sick of idiots like this at gigs. Why don't they just save their money and go to the pub? There was a girl at the front left of the stage who was dressed like she was a memeber of All Saints and insisted on dancing to elbows music like she was listening to Missy Elliott! She behaved like a complete moron.
She was drinking Blue WKD like it was orange squash and her eyeballs were like golf balls. I guess she'd been to the loo to 'powder her nose' on a few occasions? Mad We had to listen to her shout rubbish like 'Shut up, you're boring' whenever Guy was talking. A bloke next to me told her to shut up, which then turned into a bit of an arguement. When the bloke's wife told him to leave it the annoying girl said 'Ha ha ha ha ha, now do as you're told and fuck off old man'. Disgusting selfish behaviour that spoiled things for a few of us loyal fans who'd turned up to see more than ODLT!
I was unfortunately stood to the right of these two morons, my friend had asked them to shush a few times which they totally ignored, when Great Expectations started they were in full gobby swing, I was really losing it with them so my fella had a few words, I'm not completely sure what was said but they seemed to shut up. I ended walking behind them outside and I was sorely tempted to thump 'em, luckily I had just walked out of an elbow gig so was feeling quite happy and managed to stop myself!
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 22:39

KieranFunzig wrote:
(Coming out of lurk mode)
Here is an MP3 version -

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P42XO51G

recording of string quartet's opening set (warning: fairly chatty crowd):
http://whelk.landamore.com/elbowquartet2011-03-25.zip

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Mar 2011, 22:50

Oh and I forgot to say how nice it was to see all you lovely people again, its great when its a familiar face getting some 'Guy' attention. (that doesn't sound quite right but I'm sure you all know what I mean!)
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 00:17

Hey andy_landy, don't suppose you got any of the Villagers' set...? Smile
Back to top Go down
The Lippy Kid
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 16:10

Ticky wrote;

I forgot to ask, Lippy Kid and Sparky - did Megan enjoy the show

Thanks for asking Ticky......she absolutely loved it. She was full of herself afterwards, i think she finally understood why we all like them so much. How lucky is she to have gone to a gig such as this one as her very first ever gig???

She tells me she has even signed up to this forum herself (don't ask me what she is signed in as though I have no idea!!)
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 16:29

Hooooooooly cheese!

I just got back home last night and am trying to sort all my thoughts/photos from this amazing trip...it will take a while, though! I will need to come back on when I am a bit less whacked out to post properly. But as a quick summary, let me just say:

* I had an absolute blast in Cardiff and Manchester - both gigs were great, but the MEN show was just stellar. I've never enjoyed a concert so much in my life! The band were amazing, but the atmosphere and the presence of some of the wonderful forum folks made it a true, once-in-a-lifetime treat for me.

* It meant so much to me to meet everyone I saw there - special thanks to Ticky for her incredible hospitality and generosity, to Mr and Mrs Woman (Dave & Lorraine) for going above and beyond the call of duty by sharing their time, efforts and fascinating facts of all types with me, to Jones for being so thoughtful, and to Kim for being so sweet! I don't want to leave anyone out - I met a decent number of forumsters at the show, and I had fun getting to see you all - but really, those of you who hung out and looked after me on my trip have no idea how much I appreciate it. Your company was fab and I miss y'all already! Very Happy And Jones & Lorraine - thanks for being so awesome when I totally lost my shit during Great Expectations (which I did...totally and utterly lost it!). Kleenex to the rescue! Laughing

* Meeting The Craig - well, what can I say? That was sheer, total magic! He's always been an amazing musician, and now I know he's also a true gent in every way. Having a few words and a pic with him was a real thrill (and he's a marvelous hugger. Eat your heart out, Guy! Laughing ). I don't think I've really come down from that just yet, to be honest!

I do need to compose myself and try to jot down some impressions of my trip, the shows, and Manchester but it will need to wait until I am more "normal" again - in the meantime, I have put up some of the better pics I managed to take for anyone who'd like to see them.

Pics from Cardiff here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40244258@N05/sets/72157626379818950/show/

Pics from Manchester here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40244258@N05/sets/72157626379917872/show/

Enjoy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 16:35

We had a user sign up recently with the name 'xmegaan'
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 16:41

glad to hear your trip was fab Chrissie. what a prezzie ! Cool
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 16:51

Yeah, I was really looking forward Chrissie, to hearing how your trip over went - am genuinely chuffed you had a blast - I can't imagine how you must have felt, probably OVERWHELMING by the sound of it - looks like you got into the aftershow at Big Hands, I know the DJ and could have got in and met you all but finance and Dad duty dictated otherwise.....so happy for you that the trip was all you could have hoped for.

And don't worry, Great Expectations, along with Newborn, make me feel like no other song on this planet.

Must be strange now, posting to all the lovely people you've met, but great to put faces to names...!
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 19:15

Wonderful pictures, Chrissie!
And what a fab day/night we had!
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 19:32

Kim wrote:
Hey andy_landy, don't suppose you got any of the Villagers' set...? Smile

not my best recording but... here you go m'dear Smile

http://whelk.landamore.com/villagers2011-03-25.zip

sparky - the reason those girls had drinks on the ground was 'cause they'd got a couple rounds in! they were stood to my left & were pleasantly overexuberant Smile

edit to add: this was my first time seeing Villagers, and I was very impressed! spectacularly failed to pick up any merch but I will be tracking down their album in due course!
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 22:13

My Bury Vest wrote:
Yeah, I was really looking forward Chrissie, to hearing how your trip over went - am genuinely chuffed you had a blast - I can't imagine how you must have felt, probably OVERWHELMING by the sound of it - looks like you got into the aftershow at Big Hands, I know the DJ and could have got in and met you all but finance and Dad duty dictated otherwise.....so happy for you that the trip was all you could have hoped for.

And don't worry, Great Expectations, along with Newborn, make me feel like no other song on this planet.

Must be strange now, posting to all the lovely people you've met, but great to put faces to names...!

Thanks MBV, sorry I didn't get to meet you that night! Though I understand how it goes with family stuff!

Yes, overwhelming is a good word to describe it! The show itself was musically overwhelming - just so bloody good! And then the emotion of being there in a proper arena full of fans, and being with the folks I was finally meeting after having "known" everyone on here for the past few years...it all felt incredible! And the Great Expectations moment just sort of happened as all of this hit me at once. It was awesome, really and truly.

I really have so many little moments and memories that I need to sort of get on paper somewhere, before they fade, though I expect most of it will stick with me for a long while as it was all so insanely cool!
Back to top Go down
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 23:53

It sounds like you had an amazing trip Chrissie. Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm happy for you.
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 01:25

Glad you got back home safe Chrissie - it was fab meeting you and we had such a good night. I'm soooooo happy you got to meet Craig!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 01:44

andy_landy wrote:
not my best recording but... here you go m'dear Smile

Lol, did you leave sparky's 'moment' in at the beginning on purpose? Very Happy Still a pretty good recording, enough to give me goosebumps. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 06:47

Chrissie, glad you had such a great time. Good to meet you even if it was briefly in the queue!
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 13:19

Some amazing pictures Chrissie. So glad the trip was all your expected and more by the sounds of it.
Back to top Go down
Nemo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 17:05

Well some days now after Friday. I am still smiling with content from a RARE glimpse of true musical quality.

I have seen many of the so called BIG bands/artists over the years back to Bowie etc. BUT this weekends performance was stellar. The lads deserve all the plaudits they get and the lovely people that are long time true fans. I feel a gatecrasher to be honest but that was the best performance / atmosphere I have witnessed. Good seats on row A of balcony perhaps helped give a clear image of the night. BUT awesome... as posted elsewhere somehow an intimate feel in a concrete bunker...that needs some skill. Feel privileged to have had the experience.
Cant wait for the next opportunity...
Back to top Go down
Nemo
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 21:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk9UBrSGkSc&feature=related

Fairly sure plenty on here highly visible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Mar 2011, 22:13

Cor, that's some fantastic quality zoom right there! Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

I can spot Mrs. Woman at the front but the camera moves a bit too quickly for me to catch the faces of anyone else... Saw myself at the end of the runway. I forget just how short I am until I see something like that, haha. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
hilaryg
friend of ours
friend of ours
hilaryg

Female Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 07:11

That user has posted loads of songs, they've got a great camera. Kim, I think we kept being caught by the spotlights on Guy, which is why we're quite visible on all her videos - we're in bright white light!

I've managed to do a playlist of almost the entire night from YouTube. Haven't seen any clips of Great Expectations or Tower Crane driver yet though, don't suppose anyone's got them lurking on their cameras and not got round to sharing yet....?
Back to top Go down
Lillybef
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lillybef

Female Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 11:31

What brilliant photos ChrissielnFL, they amke me want to do it all again, now!

Sounds like you had an amazing time here too. Stories like this make me smile Smile
Back to top Go down
The Lippy Kid
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 16:07

wowsers, I just had a look at this link too with Megan....its awesome, spotted me n sparky clear as day in the crowd givin it large lol

The sad thing is it really took me back to what a great, brilliant fantastic night we had......and now it's over Crying or Very sad ........................lucky for me I can still share it all with you over and over again and that pleases me Very Happy

............................................................................................

.....My sorry name has made it to graffiti..................
Back to top Go down
KieranFunzig
fallen angel
fallen angel
KieranFunzig

Male Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 02 Apr 2011, 07:15

hilaryg wrote:

I've managed to do a playlist of almost the entire night from YouTube. Haven't seen any clips of Great Expectations or Tower Crane driver yet though, don't suppose anyone's got them lurking on their cameras and not got round to sharing yet....?

Yeah those 2 songs seem to hav been missed. Shame, I thought GE was lovely that night.

Many of the vids on youtube are in HD so am editing a DVD using the sound track I recorded. Most of the songs have multiple camera angles too. I will let you know when it is finished.

Kieran
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M.E.N Show   M.E.N Show - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M.E.N Show
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: elbow live-
Jump to: