elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Japanese Earthquake

Go down 
+2
NeonChoir
HattyMarris
6 posters
AuthorMessage
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Japanese Earthquake Empty
PostSubject: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 21:20

Just thought id put this on here

Thoughts go out to Japan today after the disaster that hit them.
Truly an awful event...

It seems these disasters are everywhere at the moment, with the floods and hurricanes in Australia and the earthquake in New Zealand aswell
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 21:29

Yeah, I've been following this event all day. This caused tsunami advisories to be issued in 26 different countries. The US West Coast and Hawaii were included in that. I have friends who live in California, so I'm keeping myself alert. Nothing of major impact has transpired there so far, though, so I'm thankful.

I feel so awful for Japan, though. It was the 5th biggest earthquake in recorded history (8.9 on the Richter scale...ridiculous), and the body count is rising. On top of the earthquake and tsunami, now several of the nuclear plants are messing up, with one being in danger of leaking radiation.

I wish we could do something. Sad
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 22:10

It's mind-bogglingly scary to think how the human race has all this predictive technology, preventative measures and understanding of the natural world, but then be so helplessly devastated when a massive blip like this occurs. Never been, but I've always loved Japan and all the different cultures, customs and way of life, so following today's events has been very compelling.

The Fukushima power plant problem is a scary one, but they've evacuated the area. There's probably very well-rehearsed emergency planning procedures for such eventualities. We have them here in the UK, so the Japanese authorities are sure to be even more organised than us! Not that that negates problems from happening of course, but if they do, they can be dealt with more effectively.
NeonChoir wrote:
I wish we could do something. Sad
The Disasters Emergency Committee (UK) have posted that The (British) Red Cross will probably appeal to assist their Japanese counterparts if their own resources are sparse, as you can imagine they will be. How about a sponsored event - or something? I don't know if there's a US equivalent of the DEC, NeonChoir, but maybe the American Red Cross will take donations of clothes or blankets to send over?
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 22:28

mrswoman wrote:
It's mind-bogglingly scary to think how the human race has all this predictive technology, preventative measures and understanding of the natural world, but then be so helplessly devastated when a massive blip like this occurs. Never been, but I've always loved Japan and all the different cultures, customs and way of life, so following today's events has been very compelling.

Yes i've always found the Japanese culture to be very interesting as well.

I cant imagine the catastrophe that nuclear plant could cause in the area, we can just hop for the best.
Back to top Go down
NeonChoir
friend of ours
friend of ours
NeonChoir

Female Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2011-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 22:33

^^ I just got through reading an article about Obama offering assistance and FEMA setting up things in terms of that.

Article
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar 2011, 21:01

The awesome power of nature.
Just goes to show you who's boss.
My heart goes out to all these people though I'm very concerned about what's going on at the nuclear powerplant...
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 17:59

I'm lost for words. Such a tragedy. Can not express it in english. No
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 18:55

TamedLamia wrote:
I'm lost for words. Such a tragedy. Can not express it in english. No

Same with me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Earthquake   Japanese Earthquake Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Japanese Earthquake
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: