elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Night will Always Win

Go down 
+29
SwingKing
uiop60
ChrissieInFL
The DaddyO 44
Nemo
leespoons
Kim
scotochromagen
Swearengen
yesman
lucky with disease
ChrissyBoy
lordlee
Project571
allyngibson
Boney-Crisp
sparky
The Lippy Kid
nellie
Kayleigh
MagicalTrevor
Fancy Pants
LongLegs
Misspelt Yoof
@MrIanGibson
Kiresg
Cestriansteve
My Bury Vest
ticky
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

The Night will Always Win Empty
PostSubject: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 11:29

Okay then - this is my favourite track on the album (at the moment!). They do seem to have a real tear jerker on every album - SBAW, Switching Off, Great Expectations, Friend of Ours and this one on BARB. The emotion Guy put into singing this is breathtaking and I LOVED seeing it live - all the lads on their own personal keyboards. I played it to my son yesterday, who's only 13, and he too was completely moved by the song. I love you
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 11:55

Heard the clip on the Culture Show - and took to it straight away, glad to know you love it Ticky !

The wait til Monday is killing me !
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 20:06

It's the song that I found myself singing all day after after the gig. I love it!
Back to top Go down
Kiresg
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 07:21

This song is amazing. The line, "I miss your stupid face," just made me freaking melt.
Back to top Go down
@MrIanGibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
@MrIanGibson

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 08:05

It's the song I've got in my head today. Not a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mriangibson
Misspelt Yoof
tower crane driver
tower crane driver

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 09:13

Kiresg wrote:
This song is amazing. The line, "I miss your stupid face," just made me freaking melt.
"I miss your stupid face" is a line my friends and I have been known to use when we've not seen each other for a while. It made me smile a lot!
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 10:18

This is my favourite song off the album along with 'Jesus is a Rochdale Girl' absolutely stunning.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 10:57

It's up there near the top for me too at the moment, it's absolutely beautiful.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 11:59

Thing I love about the 'I miss your stupid face' is that he sounds drunk when he sings it the second time around Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Kayleigh
little beast
little beast
Kayleigh

Female Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 12:41

I've just listened to the album a couple of times before I come on here to discuss and this is the one I keep replaying, it's beautiful, arghhhhhh i'm so excited lol
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 16:49

This track took my breath away, so beautiful and simple, had to stop what i was doing and listen again and again. Roll on 25th. bounce
Back to top Go down
The Lippy Kid
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 17:08

My CD hasn't come..........arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh disaster........Sparky leant me his.........yeaahhhhhhh Sparkster. Laughing Thats what I call family heehee

anyways, got me a proper good listen today all the way down to Brum and Back, (go me) and I reckon this album is BRILLIANT. agree with Ticky that the best song is the night will always win, love it. i have played it again and again, cracking lyrics and a haunting tune make it a real CHOOONE!!!!

That said still lovin Lippy Kids and Open Arms and The River. We are sooooooo lucky.

Can't wait until Manchester gig
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 21:56

The band are playing this live in the studio at BBC Manchester on the Radcliffe and Maconie Show now.
Beautiful
Back to top Go down
Boney-Crisp
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 22:04

breathtaking song. Reminds me a lot of times i spent with my college mates and the banter we had. I still keep in contact with them, but we are scattered all over the country now.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 03:07

The phrase that keeps going through my head is, "The long dark tea-time of the soul."

I've been there before. There have been nights when I've just missed someone so badly. When I just needed to hear a voice. When I just needed to know that I wasn't as alone as I felt.

I think of the scene in Say Anything..., after Lloyd has been dumped by Diane, and he's out in Seattle, and it's night, and it's raining, and he's in a phone booth.

Long dark tea-time of the soul.

An amazing song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
Fancy Pants
fallen angel
fallen angel
Fancy Pants

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 08:51

sparky wrote:
The band are playing this live in the studio at BBC Manchester on the Radcliffe and Maconie Show now.
Beautiful

I'm ashamed to admit that it had somehow passed me by that the boys were appearing on R&M... but imagine my joy when I jumped in the work van to run an errand at around 9pm last night and switched to Radio 2 just in time to hear Radcliffe say "...and there'll be more live tracks from Elbow in the next hour"

bounce

Naturally, my little trip then took a lot longer than it should have done Laughing I thought the performance of TNWAW was sublime.
Back to top Go down
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 16:11

Maybe I've played this track a few times, my 9 yr old Joe has just come home from school and told me he couldnt get the lines "I miss your stupid face, I miss your bad advice" out of his head all day, he even told his teacher he loves elbow. Smile
Back to top Go down
Project571
little beast
little beast
Project571

Male Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 21:13

Not sure if i should admit to this but listening to the LP again today as the Night will always win was about to finish i suddenly had this urge to cry.

Not quite sure whether it was through sadness but the song totally overwhelmed me.

Truly outstanding.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 21:25

Project571 wrote:
Not sure if i should admit to this but listening to the LP again today as the Night will always win was about to finish i suddenly had this urge to cry.

Not quite sure whether it was through sadness but the song totally overwhelmed me.

Truly outstanding.

Nowt up with that lad, it's the second 'i miss your stupid face' onwards where I'm spellbound from and contemplative.

Back to top Go down
lordlee
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 12:05

Love the lyrics to this. But... i'm afraid for me it just ain't clicking. I even have to skip it. Am i the only one that thinks his voice is out of key in some places? Now i know it's probably meant to have an unpolished, shambolic feel... but i cringe. I love tracks like Picky Bugger where the vocals are on the edge so to speak. But this feels wrong to me.

Here's hoping it'll grow.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 18:08

its weird how some songs divide people, just shows we all have slightly different perspectives and preferences.

Maybe did take a listen or two to fully appreciate, but i love the change in tone / build and emotive feeling in the voice.
I'm not sure about it being off key, maybe rather just the tune has a flat tone in places before the
harmony changes ?
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 20:50

This is the one I'm skipping now on the album...don't know why with the keys going up a notch that I get the image of being serenaded by spanish musicians with mandolins and guitars around a restaurant table on holiday, with that melody. I do find it a bit cringy, reminds me of 'My very Best' a bit, and prefer to go on to high ideals, the river, open arms then dear friend which flow from one to the other, and can bring on the tears.

This is the one where they are all on keyboards isn't it? so its interesting that I don't....I should like it!

Also the monotonous one note rrepeat irritates me at the beginning, because it is too similar to lippy kids intro.

I do love the rest of the album Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
The Lippy Kid
fallen angel
fallen angel

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 17:23

My daughter is giving me some right aggro for listening to this album as she puts it......"about 50 times already".....I told her I liked it and I couldnt help it. She now thinks Im weird. Thing is she likes elbow and she is coming to the MEN, i tried to warn her I might get a bit excited......i think I am just about to become uncool with her!!!! lmao Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeSun 13 Mar 2011, 18:36

I think this is Guy's best vocal performance on the album.

Sublime
Back to top Go down
Swearengen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 19:08

absolutely hart melting track (i'm cold hearted apparently haha). been listening on me ipod none stop at work during my breaks. gave a listen to it to a woman at work. she loved it.

mate found it emotional too. had to tell him no tears here lol. on ya own yes with other bloes no lmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Night will Always Win   The Night will Always Win Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Night will Always Win
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next