elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Double vinyl?

Go down 
+9
Atane
girl afraid
andy_landy
LongLegs
Jones
Cestriansteve
natalia
citizen
James1983uk
13 posters
AuthorMessage
James1983uk
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-02

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 18:39

I'm thinking about getting the vinyl version of BARB but I have a few reservations.... The main one being its a double vinyl.

Obviously Elbow are an album band but does only having 3 tracks on each side spoil the listening experience, having to keep changing sides and/or records?

I know TSSK came out on double vinyl too so I'd be interested to hear what other people thought about the double vinyl aspect. I love the sound of vinyl so at the moment I'm thinking it may be worth the hassle? Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
citizen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 15:11

i always buy vinyl if given the opportunity, most cd's are so compressed dynamically that its getting harder for me to listen to them, vinyl is almost always mastered differently/better, so i preordered the vinyl. this really wasnt something i was aware of until i got a nicer stereo system and started noticing all the distortion and how loud and yet flat everything was sounding, so i stick with vinyl
Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 04 Mar 2011, 17:11

I have pre-ordered the vinyl (to be delivered in Brazil!) and I think it will be great. I am holding off listening to live versions --- only listened twice to the four songs they had videos for so far. I am going to wait for the vinyl to arrive to have my first listen. In any case, I believe you will receive a card to download the mp3s, so you can listen to the whole album non-stop if you want to. Smile

I have The Seldom Seen Kid on vinyl, although I listened it first on digital format. I am quite fond of getting up and changing the sides, then sitting down and relaxing again. It is a nice break, and keeps me focused on listening (not that any Elbow record requires further techniques to get my attention!) But that is a personal preference, and it takes so little time that I do not feel it interferes with the flow of listening to the album.
Back to top Go down
http://dyingdays.net
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 20:10

Had an e-mail today to say that the vinyl has been delayed due to pressing problems. Should be available by the end of the week or early next week.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 22:50

I always buy the vinyls as well; I just love the look, smell and feel of it!
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeSat 05 Mar 2011, 23:01

The smell, the feel and most importantly, the sound! Despite the digital revolution, Vinyl is still the only true uncompressed media available to the public. CD and MP3 etc. are hugely compressed in comparason. TSSK on vinyl absolutely slaughters the CD version in terms of sound quality.

Back to top Go down
natalia
fallen angel
fallen angel
natalia

Female Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 14:56

I have just received an e-mail from Universal sending me a download code and apologizing again for the delay. But the download code does not work from Brazil! :/ Oh well, I am waiting to listen first on vinyl anyway. But I would very much like my mp3s. (I tried some proxy tricks to no avail).

Really, I must stop reading reviews. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://dyingdays.net
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 15:08

We just got an email saying our vinyl has been posted!!
From Universal direct, we ordered from the Elbow shop.

Last edited by LongLegs on Thu 10 Mar 2011, 16:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 15:17

I've just had an e-mail saying there's a further delay with the vinyl and as an apology please accept an mp3 of the album. Gee thanks, it doesn't even contain the bonus tracks on i-tunes. lol.

I purchased the vinyl so that I can hear the album in the highest quality format. I have no real desire to listen to an mp3. Why could they not offer a download in a higher quality format like WAV or FLAC?

Ah well. Hopefully the vinyl won't be too far away.

Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Male Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeThu 10 Mar 2011, 21:55

I too am waiting the vinyl. while it is nice that we've been given an interim download, I have to say I'm unimpressed that it's only 160kbps mp3. are ALL the downloads this low? perhaps I'm being a snob, but I would have expected 320kbps...
Back to top Go down
citizen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 11 Mar 2011, 16:55

most mp3 downloads i have gotten are 256 or 320, 160 is pretty silly

the status of my order online is sent, no further details
Back to top Go down
girl afraid
newborn
newborn

Female Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-07

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 14:04

Has anyone received the vinyl yet? Had a despatch email on Thursday but it hasn't arrived yet Neutral
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 19:55

Nope, still waiting... Sad
Back to top Go down
Atane
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 20:09

Still waiting in Paris, as well...
Back to top Go down
andy_landy
little beast
little beast
andy_landy

Registration date : 2009-07-11

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 01:04

vinyl arrived at some point today... it is stupidly late & I just got home, so won't listen til the morning... but wanted to give y'all a heads-up... woot!
Back to top Go down
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Registration date : 2009-03-15

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 08:57

Cestrian Saint wrote:
The smell, the feel and most importantly, the sound! Despite the digital revolution, Vinyl is still the only true uncompressed media available to the public. CD and MP3 etc. are hugely compressed in comparason. TSSK on vinyl absolutely slaughters the CD version in terms of sound quality.

You know, after years of denial I've sort of come round to this way of thinking. Unfortunately it's 20 years too late - the turntable has long gone and now I don't even have the space to put it. Most music is 'consumed' in my office, where the CD player, amp, speakers etc are; in the car or on the iPod. Come the revolution or the Lottery win - whichever comes first - I'm off to purchase a new turntable, power and preamp and some nice speakers. Lord, how I miss vinyl Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 10:51

Actually, a turntable is really not that expensive.
You can pick one up relatively cheaply in Argos.
I love digging out some of my really old vinyls, they have that really 'cosy' sound, warmer somehow.
Hard to explain, maybe it's just nostalgia...
Anyway, I'm still waiting for my BARB copy...
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 12:10

We got our vinyl yesterday, peeps, it's so prruddddy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Cozzer
little beast
little beast
Cozzer

Registration date : 2009-03-15

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 12:36

Jones wrote:
Actually, a turntable is really not that expensive.
You can pick one up relatively cheaply in Argos.
I love digging out some of my really old vinyls, they have that really 'cosy' sound, warmer somehow.
Hard to explain, maybe it's just nostalgia...
Anyway, I'm still waiting for my BARB copy...

That's true. However, I spent a fair amount of money getting decent CD player etc., so would have to buy a pretty good turntable to get an appreciably better sound. Also, my old vinyls went decades ago ... it would mean starting from scratch. Oh well .. I'll just have to bore the kids with how sexy vinyl was in the good ol' days.
Back to top Go down
oneofthethree
friend of ours
friend of ours

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 18:05

it plays at 45rpm which is weird and took quite a bit of cleaning - not very well manufactured, but then you wouldn't expect anything else from universal.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 18:23

had to go and find out what that means LOL...
so having done my research, the 45rpm cuts a shorter track than a 33rpm - so is that because they would have had too much space on a double at 33rpm ?

God, I haven't played vinyl for years, still got all my old records in a trunk upstairs - I'm sure they are probably all scratched after playing them when boozy Laughing
Back to top Go down
citizen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 18:35

45 rpm is done to achieve a higher quality, many modern jazz reissues use 45 rpm

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/3345e.html

Last edited by citizen on Fri 18 Mar 2011, 18:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 18:54

ahh... cheers Citizen that explains things, every day a school day
Back to top Go down
half soldier
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 17:45

Hello from Trojan Forum, another of Universals little pets. It's a reggae thing. The reason I'm here is that a few of our members recently ordered a 7" ltd edition single. Instead, one member got 2 Elbow double LP's and another got 3! Has anyone over here received a copy or 5 of Al Barry and The Aces 'Do Me Good' by mistake. It was interesting to note someone say that the Elbow LP is poorly manufactured as the Trojan ltd releases from the last few months have been top notch on vinyl that's as thick as you like.

Also I saw that the Elbow one is being sold (or attempted to be) for hefty prices on ebay already, even though it's still available from Univeral for £14.99 Shocked How many is it limited to anyway?

Best wishes to all anyway
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Double vinyl? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Double vinyl?   Double vinyl? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Double vinyl?
Page 1 of 1