elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session

Go down 
+17
ElbowFreak
ChrissieInFL
Niftium
NeonChoir
Kim
Jones
ChrissyBoy
ticky
Dano
The Final Track
TamedLamia
My Bury Vest
LongLegs
torkidlx
errant
HattyMarris
Mr_K
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 20:06

It is just great!!! :-D
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 20:09

Yeah, agree with Chrissie - straight away I thought it was very similar to 'Scattered...'

Must admit the lyrical comparison went over my head !
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 22:40

I completely agree, there's definitely an element of scattered black and whites in this song.
i didn't notice it on the first listen though!
Back to top Go down
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 01:55

Lovely, lovely, lovely. And yes, definitely a bit of SBAW in there.

I think Neat Little Rows is about as boisterous as this album is going to get. Wink

No bad thing. As one review said, it's music to listen to through headphones.... not through speakers, something that always brings the best out in Elbow anyway. They've an intimate sound and headphones are the more intimate way of listening.
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 09:49

ChrissieInFL wrote:
But those lyrics are from the poem that Guy read on the South Bank Show. I think so anyway, gonna go back & look at it later when I have time, but I'd swear he had out a notebook of writing and he read a poem with the lines about the paint cans and nothing to be proud of and nothing to regret, and all that. Anyone else recall that?

A brilliant spot ChrissieinFL......well done
Just watched the programme again as the curtain raiser for "Elbow Month" at Sparky's
3 gigs, a new album, constant replays of albums, dvd's, documentaries, b-sides, rarities and elbow trivia. I'm really gonna get on some people's nerves Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 11:42

Ok.... I'm having the same problem with Rochdale Girl as I had with Stockport supporters club.
What or who exactly is a Rochdale girl?
Sorry for asking.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lynne
friend of ours
friend of ours
Lynne

Female Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 12:41

I've succumbed to listening. Trying to keep everything as new as it possibly can be for Wednesday at Cambridge.

I love it's simplicity and the piano bits and the accoustic guitar sounds so Elbow! Can't wait now!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 13:23

ElbowFreak wrote:
Ok.... I'm having the same problem with Rochdale Girl as I had with Stockport supporters club.

Rochdale is a town outside Manchester. I think Guy's talking about an old flame of his from there.

Smile
Back to top Go down
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 19:33

ticky wrote:
ElbowFreak wrote:

Rochdale is a town outside Manchester. I think Guy's talking about an old flame of his from there.

Smile

Thank you very much. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 20:13

Kim wrote:
I'm reluctant to listen to this... for fear of falling victim to First Version syndrome or whatever Guy calls it. You know, where the first version of a song that you hear is the one you love the most. Every time I'd listen to the album I'd end up wanting to listen to this Live version!
I've run into that once in my life.

I love Carbon Leaf. This is a band that played the campus bar once a month when I was a college student, and while they've never made it big, they put out good albums and they have a good following. (I'm also going to see them in two weeks, which is the first time in five years I'll have seen them live.)

I was on the fringes of the Carbon Leaf trading community, and one day I got hold of a song they were doing live at concerts that they hadn't done on an album yet -- "The War Was In Color." Much like Elbow's best music, it's a story song. In this particular case, it's a grandfather telling his grandson about what World War II was really like. This live acoustic song was absolutely gorgeous and heartrending.

They released it on an album like two years later.

It wasn't anything as good as that acoustic version. Too much instrumentation. It was over-produced.

My preferred version of the song now is a version from an iTunes acoustic EP, which is much closer to the boot I'd heard and loved. The official album track, though? Meh.

(And if you're an Elbow fan looking for an American band that hits Elbow-esque buttons, seriously give Carbon Leaf a try. Indian Summer and Nothing Rhymes With Woman might be the best introduction.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 20:42

sparky wrote:
ChrissieInFL wrote:
But those lyrics are from the poem that Guy read on the South Bank Show. I think so anyway, gonna go back & look at it later when I have time, but I'd swear he had out a notebook of writing and he read a poem with the lines about the paint cans and nothing to be proud of and nothing to regret, and all that. Anyone else recall that?

A brilliant spot ChrissieinFL......well done
Just watched the programme again as the curtain raiser for "Elbow Month" at Sparky's
3 gigs, a new album, constant replays of albums, dvd's, documentaries, b-sides, rarities and elbow trivia. I'm really gonna get on some people's nerves Very Happy

Epic post Sparky - 'an Elbow month'.....mega !

My obsession with all things Elbow has drawn many a sigh in times gone by, believe me.
Back to top Go down
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 23:20

ChrissieInFL wrote:
Is it just me, or am I getting a little Scattered Black and Whites vibe from this one? Something about it strikes me as similar. Not that it sounds like the same song. Just more of a vibe thing.
No, it's not just you. There is a "Scattered Black and Whites" vibe to "Jesus is a Rochdale Girl."

I'd almost expect that, though, given what the interviews have said about the album as a whole. Guy Garvey writes lovely autobiographical songs. For instance, the songs on Leaders grew out of Guy's break-up with Edith Bowman, the songs on The Seldom Seen Kid grew out of Guy's new relationship (hence, I refer to the first as "Elbow's break-up album" and the latter as "Elbow's falling-in-love album"). Everything I've heard about the new album is that it's about the band returning to Manchester and really embracing the city and what it meant to them. The introspectiveness, the dwelling upon memories we hear in songs like "Lippy Kids" and, now, "Jesus is a Rochdale Girl" would naturally hearken back to the same kind of reverie for the past that we hear in "Scattered," which draws upon Guy's memories of his childhood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
elbowismymuse
little beast
little beast
elbowismymuse

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 23:22

First edition syndrome kind of happened to me with an Alanis Morrisette track. She performed a live, acoustic version of the song "Utopia". It was AMAZING. Then I heard the album version - which was the first edition as it happened, and was disappointed with it. It was a song that suited next to no instrumentation, just the acoustic guitar, and the lovely instruments in it, while lovely, took something away from the song for me - that version, anyway.

I am worried that this might happen with Lippy Kids. I ADORE the live video version on YouTube. I wish this was available on the deluxe edition of BARB.... sadly, it doesn't look like it is. Sad

The Halle Youth Choir I am sure will add all kinds of beauty to an already beautiful song but this is the point - it is already beautiful. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session   Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jesus is a Rochdale Girl - Live Session
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2