elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Glasgow SECC

Go down 
+17
Jason
Sandra
ElbowFreak
GraemeScott
LongLegs
mrswoman
HattyMarris
errant
Kayleigh
Lynne
My Bury Vest
GlasgowDavid
emma
ChrissyBoy
@MrIanGibson
Ted
Kim
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 15:17

I'm just a couple of hundred yards from the SECC now. Hotel has an imac comp in the room !
If i get a chance will try and post the set list later, but i've a memory like a sieve lol

next top the bar Beer

also snowing in Glasgow at the moment !

Last edited by ChrissyBoy on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 15:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 15:18

Hope everyone going tonight enjoys themselves,very jealous i have to wait until Sunday for Liverpool
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 16:16

Have a ball, all you over the border types! cheers

Also looking forward to hearing people's take on the night, tech availability and enjoying a wee dram or two afterwards permitting!
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 16:35

You crazy kids have a top time tonight!!!
Canna wait to hear all about it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
GraemeScott
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 17:33

Very excited now about tonight! And today, being caught in a blizzard, ground still white - seems like perfect weather for an Elbow gig!

I'll have on my "I'm stubborn, selfish and too old" t on.
Back to top Go down
emma
friend of ours
friend of ours
emma

Female Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 17:46

We're currently 3rd in the queue Very Happy so excited for the concert!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2226544041
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 19:10

HAVE SO MUCH FUN everybody!!!!!
And tell us everything! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 23:55

Just back from gig, simply excellent !!!

Brain is still fuzzy from One Day Like This, and the quick beer i just had after the show.

I'm really struggling to remember the set list in order, but nothing from first two albums - we had

The Birds, Bones of You, Lippy kids, Mirrorball, With Love, Great Expectations, The Night Wiill Always Win,
Grounds for Divorce, Puncture Repair, Weather to Fly, Some Riot, Neat Little Rows, Tower Crane Driver, Open Arms, Starligns, Station Approach, One Day Like This

I'm sorry that's not properly in order, and i'm sure i've missed one or two ??

everyone seemd to enjoy it, hasn't really sunk in yet. Guy really humble and thanking the crowd for being there. Massive One Day Like This at the finale. Just brill, will leave others who are less bleary to post further !
night night
Back to top Go down
Sandra
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 00:51

First elbow gig, loved every minute! A mirror ball to make James proud! Almost greetin at starlings, darling is this love
Back to top Go down
GraemeScott
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 01:42

In full agreement - simply excellent. 2 hrs 10 mins from start to finish, part gig, part stand up show - Guy on top form throughout.

Chrissy - I make it the same set, but have the order as:

The Birds, Bones of You, Lippy kids, Mirrorball, With Love, Neat Little Rows, The Night Wiill Always Win, Great Expectations, Grounds for Divorce, Tower Crane Driver, Puncture Repair, Some Riot, Weather to Fly, Open Arms, Starlings, Station Approach, One Day Like This

They've made the transition to arena-sized show seamlessly - it's like they were born to do it. I won't give anything away for those going along in the next few weeks, but the sound was perfect, lights and screens are powerful, and match the music perfectly. Crowd singalongs. And songs like Lippy Kids, The Night..., Puncture Repair still remain intimate, even in that setting, particularly as part of the Guy & Craig show on the catwalk/podium.

My own highlights were Some Riot (hairs on the back of the neck standing throughout, stunning), and Starlings. Not that any of the rest was weak, far from it. And the standing ovation for Mick Williams, in block C, row R, seat 20!

Anyway, off to check if the finances will stand up to trying to catch this show again in the next month...
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 07:22

Hey Scottish people ! Glad you all loved it !

Must admit, won't lie - am a bit disappointed with the setlist, it seems to be virtually the same as Cambridge, ie, heavy on TSSK numbers.

My only hope, as the boys have already said, is that it will be tweaked every night.

Hope it was a near full house last night - it's the least the boys deserve !
Back to top Go down
GraemeScott
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 07:54

My Bury Vest wrote:
Wasn't sold out, but wasn't far off it. Some seats left at the edges that were curtained off, but the rest full, and the floor not far off full as well. Sounded noisy anyway - great crowd, great interaction.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 07:58

GraemeScott wrote:
My Bury Vest wrote:
Wasn't sold out, but wasn't far off it. Some seats left at the edges that were curtained off, but the rest full, and the floor not far off full as well. Sounded noisy anyway - great crowd, great interaction.

Nice one Graeme - that's what Guy's great at - interacting with the crowd - he's a master a t it.

The banter from the Cambridge gig on the recording I've heard was hilarious. That's good to know it was a healthy turnout - Manchester's now sold out.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 10:05

My Bury Vest wrote:
Hey Scottish people ! Glad you all loved it !

Must admit, won't lie - am a bit disappointed with the setlist, it seems to be virtually the same as Cambridge, ie, heavy on TSSK numbers.

My only hope, as the boys have already said, is that it will be tweaked every night.

I concur with a cherry on top! Feel a little bit disappointed, oh well we know one tweak will be The Fix on Saturdee!

Glad you all had a cracking time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 12:21

Chuffed too for everyone that last night went down a storm. I'm intrigued what Mick Williams in his block C seat did; was it something to do with a marriage proposal?

Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 12:32

GraemeScott wrote:
Chrissy - I make it the same set..

... well i'm glad at least i remembered the right songs. Was okay with the first four and last four .. but I knew my mid sequence was just the titles all over the place haha !

back home now, still reflecting on a magic night. Won't go over any detail of the crowd interaction / banter, don't want to spoil it for peeps at the other gigs this week. Although, I'm sure Guy has a wide repetoire of survey questions to choose from, not to mention cocktail recipe's and anecdotes......

Our seated section was second row, just off centre so had a good eyelevel view of the stage. Slightly further away from the action than i would have liked - and small gap between the seated and standing bodies maybe felt a little disconnected at times - but Guy's ability to draw in the crowd to participate pulled it off and the music/vocals were amazing... bar the odd forgotten line, or burst of laughter during Weather to Fly, when i think Pete or someone must have put him off ;-)

The Birds opened and sounded really much heavier than i thought it would, and i think that set the night rolling well. Grounds was also really heavy sounding, and probably got one of the bigger reactions... but all tracks were really well received. Sometimes you could see Guy just smiling, almost in awe of the level of support the band were getting. Especially at the very end - he put his arm round Craig, and spoke to him and they both just looked so happy and almost disbelieving. Guy had said they were very nervous about the gig, so perhaps it was a bit of relief for them too, and hopefully we've settled their nerves for the rest of you !

Enjoy Newcastle tonight and the remaing shows, you lcuky peeps.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 12:34

mrswoman wrote:
Chuffed too for everyone that last night went down a storm. I'm intrigued what Mick Williams in his block C seat did; was it something to do with a marriage proposal?

No ! Laughing

not sure if to tell or not, incase others are in line for the same treatment Wink
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 12:42

Thanks Chrissy, say no mowah. *taps nose, nudge nudge, wink wink* Wink
Back to top Go down
Jason
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 12:50

Hi though i like all Elbow songs ive got to say im disappointed they didnt play anything of the first 2 albums last night, im going on Thursday, i would have expected a large amount of stuff off the new album played and then 2 or 3 off all the other albums, just my opinion, no doubt i will enjoy it though.
Back to top Go down
GraemeScott
fallen angel
fallen angel

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 13:15

ChrissyBoy wrote:
mrswoman wrote:
No ! Laughing
not sure if to tell or not, incase others are in line for the same treatment Wink

Hopefully the others are in for the same treatment - was a great moment!

I'd forgotten about messing the words on Weather to Fly - thought he was going to lose it completely! And the stumble at the top of the ramp - mid-gig cocktail seemed to be a bit potent!
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 14:00

Jason wrote:
Hi though i like all Elbow songs ive got to say im disappointed they didn't play anything of the first 2 albums last night, im going on Thursday, i would have expected a large amount of stuff off the new album played and then 2 or 3 off all the other albums, just my opinion, no doubt i will enjoy it though.

To be fair, since last time they played glasgow/Newcastle in 2009, you've gained 'Great expectations' and 'puncture repair' again off the back catalogue. You've lost Any day now, Newborn, Mexican, the stops and leaders.., (which I personally can live with) to make room for 6 from the new album Smile
But Starlings, Bones of you, Mirrorball, some riot, station approach, one day like this, grounds, towercrane and weather to fly remain static as in 2008/2009 tours.

Personally, purely from an audience perspective as lets face it, we don't play all those ssk tracks over! I can see why the immense Towercrane and pleaser 'Grounds... and continued potential for a get together and shots midset of weather to fly stays from SSK. Don't think I could get tired of them, like I personally coudn't tire from Newborn.
I still remember 'Some riot' from when it was stripped down Brambles, so have really heard that.. a lot, and, though I loved Mirroball, etc feel that the boys get more fun blowing their trumpets in 'starlings' than maybe some of us do now.
In 2008/2009 last tours I missed that there was not one track from COT played (except for 'I've got your number on one radio session, and just 'Switching off' at the Bridgewater hall.
Miss the others, Ribcage, snooks, fugitive motel they used to play. I'll look forward to hearing the string quartet play COT arrangements, and maybe 'High ideals' and 'River' and 'dear friends' from Barb to come?

How were the Villagers?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 14:24

lucky with disease wrote:
feel that the boys get more fun blowing their trumpets in 'starlings' than maybe some of us do now.

Did they do the fake trumpet thing again last night?

lucky with disease wrote:

How were the Villagers?

Rather looking forward to these guys, probably the best support band they've had on the road witht them - although the acorn & thirteen senses have been notable highlights perviosuly...

btw LWD... that las post, i will always bow down to your superiour knowledge now!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 14:32

errant wrote:
btw LWD... that las post, i will always bow down to your superiour knowledge now!!! cheers

not superior enough! Wink switching off from COT did feature on some of the last tour...'Forget myself' was thrown in for the arenas.

(They could give out little plastic trumpets, or party hooters to some of the audience so we could blow too)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
holmes
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 14:49

Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 15:03

only 4/5 ???? the reviewer needs their heed examined !!!

LWD - I can confirm the Trumpets were out.

Villagers were okay, the place was still half empty - so unfortunately they didn't benefit from the atmosphere. There was a lot of coming and going, so difficult to focus on them fully. Some of their tracks went down well though, and they have a really loud, rousing sound to them in places that offset the quieter tracks. I'd only heard a couple of them before though, so you'd benefit from alisten to the album.

Almost forgot about the string quartet - they were playin to a very empty place and were on from 6.30 to 7.00pm - we drifted into the hall at 6.45 so only heard a couple and i can't quite remember what they were - but they were other elbow songs of course scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glasgow SECC   Glasgow SECC - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glasgow SECC
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next