elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

build a rocket boys!

Go down 
+68
The DaddyO 44
Quent1n
Cozzer
imalittlebeast
debut
yesman
Nile
leespoons
jEUR
mitchy
Boney-Crisp
nellie
BigAL
andy_landy
scotochromagen
Mr Woman
Fancy Pants
Ifordy
NeonChoir
Kim
Eag
elbowismymuse
Lillybef
Minerva69
Cestriansteve
torkidlx
Bennington
hilaryg
mouxlaloulouda
citizen
takemeanywhere
Trains Are...Mint
allyngibson
Steveissteve
AyannaD
ukkonen
The Final Track
CrisalidaBoy
Jones
oneofthethree
MagicalTrevor
heshofcheese
Niftium
ChrissieInFL
wozza
evilpixie
sparky
Kayleigh
ElbowFreak
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
WOBLEwoble
Glendarian
Lynne
errant
lucky with disease
Hotblack
My Bury Vest
Kiresg
Dano
ticky
natalia
HattyMarris
mrswoman
@MrIanGibson
LongLegs
Mr_K
Misspelt Yoof
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
lucky with disease
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
lucky with disease

Female Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-04-18

build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 22:54

Steveissteve wrote:
Hmm, play.com are showing a changed tracklist, with The Birds as #1 and Lippy kids as #2. Mistake, or ?

Bit in 'Uncut' feb issue about some of the songs...."long enough to have a swim in" and Guy says of The Birds "which is somebody remembering the last encounter of a failed love affair. It's when you split with someone and it's not healable, and you have one last passionate fling. The whole idea of the birds is that they are the only witnesses to this:

" They sing a million blessings/They watch us slowly part/Do they keep tthose final kisses in their tiny racing hearts?"

Twinning my obsession with birds with my romantic nostalgia."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/anyday
allyngibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
allyngibson

Male Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 01:30

Guy talks about the album in a podcast for Absolute Radio. (Click that last sentence for the mp3 Smile )
Back to top Go down
http://www.allyngibson.net/
AyannaD
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 04:08

allyngibson wrote:
Guy talks about the album in a podcast for Absolute Radio. (Click that last sentence for the mp3 Smile )

Great, thanks for the link! Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 12:08

AyannaD wrote:
allyngibson wrote:

Great, thanks for the link! Thumbs Up!

seconded! bounce
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 13:41

allyngibson wrote:

Star! Thank you Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ElbowFreak
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ElbowFreak

Female Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 15:24

Thanks... Smile
Btw. how warm is it in the UK, cause he's standing barefoot...?

Nice interview.
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 16:50

Thanks for this.

About downloading and buying - I always buy stuff I like, but have often downloaded leaks while waiting for something to come out, but always buy it anyway. Is this a silly and/or naive question - why the long wait? Once the album is fully mastered and ready, all the artwork done, etc., with all the resources a record company has, why the wait? (Let alone announcing a single a month before it's released - don't get me wrong I'm thrilled to hear it & it's brilliant, but why not release it when it's ready?) Wouldn't pulling out the stops and releasing the album without quite such a long wait discourage impatience-downloading?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 17:35

It's to build anticipation, get word around so everyone buys it at release, thus improving chart position.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Trains Are...Mint
little beast
little beast
Trains Are...Mint

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 17:41

ahem....(cough)...."all the artwork" isn't done yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rollingstockpress.co.uk
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 17:44

MT:
I didn't say so but thought as much. If that's the reason, not technical requirements, they can't really complain about leaks, can they? Wink

(NB I'm not getting at Elbow here, I know all the record companies play the same games!)

Trains are Mint:
OK point taken - perfectly valid reason, then Smile
Back to top Go down
takemeanywhere
little beast
little beast

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jan 2011, 17:45

There's your answer then. Oliver is delaying the release Wink

I can't believe he's still got that cough as well. This winter has been a bugger for them lingering...
Back to top Go down
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011, 03:45

takemeanywhere wrote:
There's your answer then. Oliver is delaying the release Wink

I can't believe he's still got that cough as well. This winter has been a bugger for them lingering...

Laughing

And thanks, Allyn, for the link! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

Male Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011, 03:52

Record companies try to space out the releases of the albums they believe will be big sellers. They don't want to be competing with themselves, if possible.
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jan 2011, 12:09

Trains Are...Mint wrote:
ahem....(cough)...."all the artwork" isn't done yet.

Aw...get well soon, I got a snot plague too at the moment, like a friend said: Who's not ill at that weather can't be quite well! Wink

But nice you do the artwork again, I really loved the way you drawed my old home station Hirschgarten in Berlin and That... Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
@MrIanGibson
friend of ours
friend of ours
@MrIanGibson

Male Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 12:24

There is an article on Digital Spy regarding the new album http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a298829/elbow-return-to-roots-on-new-album.html

Elbow's Guy Garvey has said that their forthcoming album sounds similar to their early material.

Speaking to XFM, the band's frontman said that the new record puts a twist on their original sound.

He said: "If anything, it sounds a lot like our first album. There's perhaps some more big positive moments than there are on Asleep In The Back [their first album], but other than that, vibe-wise it's a lot groovier than anything we've done in the last couple of years."

Garvey also explained that the band kept their audience in mind throughout the recording sessions.

He added: “To do something self-indulgent and inaccessible would have been a bit churlish. We write music for people to hear and we really enjoy these big shows that we're doing now.

"We can't wait to get out on the road in March. We couldn't help but bear that in mind with certain songs on the album."

Elbow's new album Build A Rocket Boys is released on March 7. The band have also announced a UK arena tour to support the release.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mriangibson
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 12:40

Does anybody know what's going to be on the deluxe version of the album yet?
None of the sites offering the album for pre-order seem to specify the difference
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 19 Jan 2011, 13:54

Haven't seen the difference yet either, and I've used all of the google-fu I have.
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jan 2011, 00:10

Mmm, I hope it's a little bit more exciting then the SSK deluxe edition which (sorry, but I have to say it) was a little disappointing...
Back to top Go down
ukkonen
friend of ours
friend of ours
ukkonen

Male Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jan 2011, 02:39

I don't think anyone knows what the deluxe edition will be, including the band. Someone asked Craig on Twitter about it several days ago and he didn't have a proper answer, said he'd look into it. I'd love to see the entire album (or some of the songs) played in the same way they did for the Lippy Kids video as a DVD, but that's just me and I'm only setting myself up for disappointment if I think of various ways to make the album truly 'deluxe'.
Back to top Go down
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jan 2011, 10:54

ukkonen wrote:
I don't think anyone knows what the deluxe edition will be, including the band. Someone asked Craig on Twitter about it several days ago and he didn't have a proper answer, said he'd look into it. I'd love to see the entire album (or some of the songs) played in the same way they did for the Lippy Kids video as a DVD, but that's just me and I'm only setting myself up for disappointment if I think of various ways to make the album truly 'deluxe'.

Even though it was only 2008, did the deluxe version of TSSK only just include additional art work in the card backed packaging? Question i've always bought the deluxe stuff, like a sheep... 'leaders' deluxe had the dvd iirc? 'cast of' came in the card backed packaging with just the CD as i seem to recall you had to email the girl at V2 to get the free DvD...

memory fading...
Back to top Go down
Niftium
little beast
little beast

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jan 2011, 12:52

Maybe it was only here in the US, but some copies of CoT were originally packaged with the DVD in a 2-disc jewel case.
Back to top Go down
citizen
fallen angel
fallen angel

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 22 Jan 2011, 15:46

still wondering about a u.s. release date and i'm assuming the album will be released on vinyl
Back to top Go down
HattyMarris
friend of ours
friend of ours
HattyMarris

Male Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 15:59

Review of the album in this months Q magazine,

"Steady as she goes for Band of the People's fifth album"
4 star verdict
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 16:11

That sounds...like they didn't think much of it.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Jan 2011, 16:29

HattyMarris wrote:
Review of the album in this months Q magazine,

"Steady as she goes for Band of the People's fifth album"
4 star verdict

Is that it?? hmmm still gave it four stars?
Thanks for posting!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: build a rocket boys!   build a rocket boys! - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

build a rocket boys!
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next