elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A few more details on the new album

Go down 
+16
Kiresg
LongLegs
ChrissieInFL
leespoons
MagicalTrevor
Eag
mrswoman
Hotblack
errant
TamedLamia
ChrissyBoy
My Bury Vest
fadeupyoursmile
Jones
Dano
Mr_K
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

A few more details on the new album Empty
PostSubject: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 01:59

Taken from a brief article in this month's Q magazine. (worth a look, some nice piccies.)
In the lounge room at Blueprint Studios, the rented facility deep in Salford's industrial Wastelands where Elbow are recording their fifth album, the band are laughing as they recall the track they wrote after winning 2008's Mercury Music Prize, a song singer Guy Garvey describes as “uselessly happy, like something from a children's album”.

It's the downside of success. In the two years since The Seldom Seen Kid, the enduring Bury quintet won more than the Mercury and a Brit Award: they won the nation's hearts. The terminal outsiders were underdogs no more, and loving it. Everything was, and is tickety boo. But when heartbreaking melancholia is your currency, success and contentment can be a problem.
“I realised I’d have to look elsewhere for lyrics because I'm very happy.” says Garvey. “I can't sincerely write about where I'm at because I'm doing OK. It wouldn't work: [sings] I've been in a bath showroom/ For 10 and a half days... I mean who wants to hear a song about tiling?”

The solution came in January 2010 on the Isle of Mull, where the band seconded themselves to write new material and review the recordings they made on the road. Unlike similar sojourns in the past they found they were missing family life and couldn’t settle in (bassist Pete Turner became a father less than a month before, and Garvey jokes that he is “the only jaffa in the band at the minute”). In essence, they realized they've grown up, and the thought set Garvey on a nostalgic, reflective course.
Taking its lyrics from a poem Garvey wrote about his first love, Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl set the agenda both thematically and musically. It's a spare revision of the Elbow sound, stripping their lush widescreen sonics back to an almost Brian Eno-esque minimalism – just Garvey's voice, a Rhodes keyboard and wisps of the other players. “I think our records have always had light and shade to degree, this one more so than the others” says Garvey.

Back on the mainland, following an intensive Week in the Cheshire studio owned by long time friends Doves, the band settled in at Blueprint. When Garvey found himself struggling with the lyrics, he twice travelled down to Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios in Box, Wiltshire, sharing thoughts with Gabriel himself and communicating with the band via video calls. Sometimes they would place the laptop on top of the piano and play the latest versions of songs to a virtual Garvey.

Ideas of friendship, community and teenage years began to colour the 30 odd tracks in consideration. Key song Lippy Kids is written in defence of the British teenager. It's what Garvey describes as “the anti-hoody shit that goes on in the media, the thought that if you hang around on a street comer you're a criminal.”

Sonically, a track titled The Birds is one of the bigger moments. A grand, experimental piece, it bridges the gap between the ragged blues of The Seldom Seen Kid’s Grounds For Divorce and the band's trademark transcendent moments. Interestingly, there's not yet a moment as radio-friendly (or as apt to soundtrack TV sports montages) as the last album's One Day Like This. “We could write deliberate radio hits until the cows come home, but l think you can hear it really obviously when a band has done that” says Garvey.

The band are working to polish off the album before the end of the year and are planning to invite a number of guest vocalists to the studio, though at this point they'll only reveal that the roll call includes some young singers and "an esteemed English actor".

"There's less pressure this time somehow“ says Garvey about the as-yet-untitled album, slated for release next spring. “We know everybody's going to hear it. People are going to know it's there. It's the first album we've made without the comedy anvil hanging over our heads.”
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

Male Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 04:49

Good.
Brian Eno-esque minimalism???
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 17:12

I am really happy to read this.
It seems like they stuck to their old beliefs.
Can't wait to hear it now! bounce
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 19:12

This article has made me so excited for the new album! ooooh! And when you read "Esteemed actor" who do you think? I went straight for Iain McKellan!
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 20:51

Carlyle? Smile
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 21:17

Nice one Mr K for that, think I'll buy a copy.

As Jones said, they've stuck to their beliefs by the sound of it - it's bound to be brilliant......as long as that prick from X Factor, Wagner aint on it.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 06 Nov 2010, 21:32

particularly encouraged by the reference to simply writing radio hits.
we need the 'edge' on their material and thats what makes them so great Laughing
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSun 07 Nov 2010, 10:08

Sounds very interesting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
errant
friend of ours
friend of ours
errant

Male Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:29

ChrissyBoy wrote:
particularly encouraged by the reference to simply writing radio hits.
we need the 'edge' on their material and thats what makes them so great Laughing

they always said they where radiohead for girls, hope they follow the radiohead ethos and write for themselves when they had to follow up Ok Computer... almost relieved now, am gonna keep 'my' band... :-)
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeMon 08 Nov 2010, 12:56

I'm not afraid of one radio hit in a record.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeTue 09 Nov 2010, 10:23

Sarah wrote:
This article has made me so excited for the new album! ooooh! And when you read "Esteemed actor" who do you think? I went straight for Iain McKellan!

My first thought would be Christopher Eccleston. Friend and supporter of I Am Kloot who, as we are well aware, have close connections with Elbow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 07:34

Do you expect many strings like on TSSK?
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 08:58

Dano wrote:

Having read this in the above article
Quote :
Taking its lyrics from a poem Garvey wrote about his first love, Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl set the agenda both thematically and musically. It's a spare revision of the Elbow sound, stripping their lush widescreen sonics back to an almost Brian Eno-esque minimalism – just Garvey's voice, a Rhodes keyboard and wisps of the other players.

I'd say 'not many'.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:18

Fab write-up, cheers Mr K for posting.

So, we can all breathe a sign of relief that they've not gone off in a completely new direction... including Les Dawson piano recitals as dreamt up by MBV! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:57

Hotblack wrote:
Dano wrote:

Quote :
Taking its lyrics from a poem Garvey wrote about his first love, Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl set the agenda both thematically and musically. It's a spare revision of the Elbow sound, stripping their lush widescreen sonics back to an almost Brian Eno-esque minimalism – just Garvey's voice, a Rhodes keyboard and wisps of the other players.

I'd say 'not many'.

You are right but if i remember well the Guy's description i don't think that is the trend for the whole album.
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 15:37

mrswoman wrote:
Fab write-up, cheers Mr K for posting.

So, we can all breathe a sign of relief that they've not gone off in a completely new direction... including Les Dawson piano recitals as dreamt up by MBV! Laughing

I tell thee MrsW, you had to be there, it's really hard to play piano like Les, apparently - Garve made it look simple !
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeThu 11 Nov 2010, 16:13

Dano wrote:
Hotblack wrote:
Dano wrote:

Quote :

I'd say 'not many'.

You are right but if i remember well the Guy's description i don't think that is the trend for the whole album.

the words 'set the agenda both thematically and musically. It's a spare revision of the Elbow sound...'

and this quoted paragraph below from the same article make me think that it is the trend.

Quote :
Sonically, a track titled The Birds is one of the bigger moments. A grand, experimental piece, it bridges the gap between the ragged blues of The Seldom Seen Kid’s Grounds For Divorce and the band's trademark transcendent moments. Interestingly, there's not yet a moment as radio-friendly (or as apt to soundtrack TV sports montages) as the last album's One Day Like This. “We could write deliberate radio hits until the cows come home, but l think you can hear it really obviously when a band has done that” says Garvey.
Back to top Go down
Dano
friend of ours
friend of ours
Dano

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 21:22

I need more news, interviews, details, everything. CAN'T WAIT.

Last edited by Dano on Fri 19 Nov 2010, 13:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eag
little beast
little beast
Eag

Male Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 22:42

"We could write deliberate radio hits until the cows come home, but l think you can hear it really obviously when a band has done that" - I think we all know this is our band's attitude, and it's one of the reasons we love 'em.

No offence but I hope JIARG & Lippy Kids aren't the final titles of those tracks! Reminds me of a similar piece 5 years ago telling us about a song called "Buddah With Mace" and thinking WTF Razz
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 23:10

Well, I thought the only reason they changed the title of "Forget Myself" from "Buddah With Mace" was because the record company refused to back it as the title might offend Budhhists, despite Guy's protests that offending Budhhists was impossible Smile
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov 2010, 13:42

Eag wrote:
"We could write deliberate radio hits until the cows come home, but l think you can hear it really obviously when a band has done that" - I think we all know this is our band's attitude, and it's one of the reasons we love 'em.

*cough*OneDayLikeThis*cough* Smile
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov 2010, 19:33

wonder when we will get a first play of a track....
surely sometime soon ? ..... please
.....pretty please
.....pretty please with a cherry on top ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov 2010, 20:55

Christmas gift?!
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeSat 20 Nov 2010, 01:48

...for undyingly loyal forum members? Ultraplease?
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
ChrissieInFL
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ChrissieInFL

Female Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2010, 05:48

Seriously...a little, teeny tiny morsel to whet our appetites (like they need whetting!) would be divine in the extreme. I'm so, SO excited to hear any of the new tracks, it's just KILLING me! bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few more details on the new album   A few more details on the new album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few more details on the new album
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next