elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doves

Go down 
+43
Dano
neil68
lucky with disease
Misspelt Yoof
oneofthethree
TexasElbowFan
redliz2
Cestriansteve
Kim
ChrisMcW
calypso
Mr Woman
ticky
mrswoman
nikkijaydee
David Hasselhoff
bluejayway
nellie
Glendarian
yesman
LongLegs
WOBLEwoble
My Bury Vest
Emma G
sparky
Dikky
Mr_K
Grant
Leo
TamedLamia
MagicalTrevor
takemeanywhere
MrsMagicalTrevor
TDA
Robeman
Ted
Skeletor
leespoons
Jonny
Hotblack
Calum
Dabamash
asleepintheback
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
David Hasselhoff
newborn
newborn
David Hasselhoff

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 20:49

I do. Pammy is looking rather tired these days. Sad

Anyhow, looking forward to taking up Guy's offer of a drink, some day soon when I'm a bit better. Give me Beer
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 13:53

Just back from seeing Doves in Delemere forest - brilliant venue.

Sorry but they are not a patch on Elbow live. No where as much interaction with crowd as Guy does.

+ prefer Elbow fans to Doves fans.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 15:17

WOBLEwoble wrote:

Sorry but they are not a patch on Elbow live. No where as much interaction with crowd as Guy does.

Nice. Glad you enjoyed it. Agree with you on the whole interaction thing, even though I've only ever seen them live on tv. Who supported them and have you any photos to share with us?
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 20:34

bluejayway wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:

Nice. Glad you enjoyed it. Agree with you on the whole interaction thing, even though I've only ever seen them live on tv. Who supported them and have you any photos to share with us?

Will do bluejayway. My daughter was snapping away - she's downloading them onto her facebook page tonight. will post the link soon.

Delphic supported. Not impressed. Weird choice.
Back to top Go down
mrswoman
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
mrswoman

Female Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 20:59

WOBLEwoble wrote:
No where as much interaction with crowd as Guy does. + prefer Elbow fans to Doves fans.
Agree with you there, WOBLEwoble. A crowd of gradually very p*ssed lads & girls sat near us who were more interested in throwing themselves around quite literally, so when the group began piling on/crushing each other to the degree where it was kicking off we snuck off down the front. Oddly enough, it was a better crowd there.

Was a bit surprised about Jimi's more distant frontman style after seeing them once before, but maybe they were a bit awestruck at the big numbers there.

I got a few photos too.
Back to top Go down
http://elbowfans.org
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 21:30

mrswoman wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:
No where as much interaction with crowd as Guy does. + prefer Elbow fans to Doves fans.
Agree with you there, WOBLEwoble. A crowd of gradually very p*ssed lads & girls sat near us who were more interested in throwing themselves around quite literally, so when the group began piling on/crushing each other to the degree where it was kicking off we snuck off down the front. Oddly enough, it was a better crowd there.

Was a bit surprised about Jimi's more distant frontman style after seeing them once before, but maybe they were a bit awestruck at the big numbers there.

I got a few photos too.

Great photos mrswoman. Spotted back of my head on a few - at front just to right of Jez.

A friend with us, saw Elbow there a year ago and said it was a much much better gig. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Male Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 08:57

Hi mrswoman

Nice photos, well done and thanks for sharing them.

We were to the left of centre , at the edge of the grass. A bit further back from where your photos were taken. I was looking for your fresian cow picnic blanket so I could say hello.

Crowd near me were pretty good, more boozy and laddish than Elbow but still good natured.

I would have preferred Pounding and Black and White Town to be a bit nearer the end of the set but overall they did a great job

I agree with all the comments here, Elbow gigs and particularly the Delamere gig are / were better.
However, I've found that if I compare everyone with Elbow I'm always going to be disappointed. This was a good gig, there's no shame in coming second to Elbow and Doves are still streets ahead of a lot of the stuff that's around.

So all in all, a great night out and let's hear it for Doves and their fans. (including you, WOBLEwoble, me and all our friends!)
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 09:34

Nice one fellow Doves fans ! A mate of mine went and said it was 'awesome', as stated in previous threads, I'm a huge fans and seen them countless times including Manchester in April. Hoping for an autumn tour and maybe a date at the Apollo
Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 09:37

I saw them in Bristol - really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good a show as Elbow, but that's a given. Jimi got very over-excited at the end and started giving out bits of equipment to the audience. I think he realised he'd gone a bit far when he started trying to rip out electric plugs! All in all a cracking show.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 09:59

I enjoyed Doves very much, apart from the drunken mixed gender mob behind us that Mrs W described. They were good humoured enough, but they were more interested in getting p*ssed, taking photos of each other and playing pile-on to be much bothered about what was going on on stage.

The final straw for us was when one of their "friends", who must have been at least 20 stone, decided to perform the coup-de-grace of a particularly violent pile-on and nearly sent us flying. My recent medical history precludes me from getting sent flying, head-over-heels down hills, thank you very much! We thought it prudent to leave them to it. I would imagine words were about to be exchanged.

A minor quibble, though. Different bands attract different crowds. Each to their own and all that. I rather fancy that the Katherine Jenkins crowd on the Sunday night would have been a much more sedate bunch, for example. Or an Oasis crowd more boisterous.

It was much more fun down on the woodchips nearer the stage. People were dancing, enjoying the music and were generally more good-natured and huggy. I suppose the further you get away from the stage, the greater the likelihood that there are going to be people who are using the event as a mere backdrop to their partying. The music is just a soundtrack to their revelry and not the main focus.

I really like Delamere as a venue and I would consider seeing any band there in future that more-or-less falls within my/our tastes. I suppose Doves come under that category.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 20:12

mrswoman wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:

I got a few photos too.

Nice photos Mrswoman. Shame about the annoying crowd. But I've found there's always a group like that at every gig Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 20:15

WOBLEwoble wrote:
bluejayway wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:

Will do bluejayway. My daughter was snapping away - she's downloading them onto her facebook page tonight. will post the link soon.

Awesome, thanks WOBLEwoble. Have never heard of Delphric. What's there style of music?
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 20:52

Delphic were Ok
Imagine a dodgy Pet Shop Boys joining up with Bloc Party and then getting into a fight with OMD. Then, near the end, Friendly Fires turning up and calming everything down.

Strangely it worked.
Hope this helps!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 20:53

bluejayway wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:
bluejayway wrote:
WOBLEwoble wrote:

Awesome, thanks WOBLEwoble. Have never heard of Delphric. What's there style of music?

very electronic - bit too repetitious !
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 21:00

sparky wrote:
Delphic were Ok
Imagine a dodgy Pet Shop Boys joining up with Bloc Party and then getting into a fight with OMD. Then, near the end, Friendly Fires turning up and calming everything down.

Strangely it worked.

Hmmm interesting Surprised
Back to top Go down
sparky
friend of ours
friend of ours
sparky

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jun 2009, 21:15

bluejayway wrote:
sparky wrote:
Delphic were Ok

Strangely it worked.

Hmmm interesting Surprised

I think WOBLEwoble and I are saying the same thing really, but WOBLEwoble says it best.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Jun 2009, 21:41

Delphic were sort of Techno-ey to my ears, but with added live drums/vox/guitars. I can see why Doves chose them as a support act - maybe they see something in them that reminds them of their former Sub-Sub selves 20 years ago?
Back to top Go down
calypso
fallen angel
fallen angel
calypso

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009, 15:04

I went to see Doves in the forest too, although I had a great night, we had a good spot to sit and I went to the front, it didn't have the magic that the Elbow gig I went to see at the forest the year before.
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 09:28

DOVES have just been confirmed for the 'The London Paper Headliners' Wed 16th and Thursday 17th September.

http://thelondonpaperheadliners.com/

Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
ChrisMcW
fallen angel
fallen angel
ChrisMcW

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 11:53

Good 5 songs up from a session on MTV (i thought it only showed The Hills and Kerry Katona these days)
http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/doves/session/doves?$132629$ for 10.03
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 14:46

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
Kim
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Kim

Female Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 16:18

I'm tempted to go to thelondonpaper Headliner's thing... I'm really confused about how it all works though. o.O You buy a ticket for the one day, then as long as you have the wristband you can go to any of the gigs on that day... BUT it's subject to venue capacity? So what if you buy it and then you can't get in to the gigs you want to see? :/
Back to top Go down
Cestriansteve
friend of ours
friend of ours
Cestriansteve

Male Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Jul 2009, 20:59

The first album was a stunning debut. The second was very good. The third good and the most recent, very average. Whilst Elbow have got better with time Doves have gon the other way. They seem to be running out of ideas.

If you go on their forum the fans are all saying that Kingdom Of Rust should win The Mercury. No way on earth is that album in the same league as TSSK. Do I detect a hint of jealousy? lol

I really enjoyed the Delamere gig. That said, I've enjoyed every gig I've seen there. It's a great venue.
Back to top Go down
redliz2
little beast
little beast

Female Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jul 2009, 11:57

Kim wrote:
I'm tempted to go to thelondonpaper Headliner's thing... I'm really confused about how it all works though. o.O You buy a ticket for the one day, then as long as you have the wristband you can go to any of the gigs on that day... BUT it's subject to venue capacity? So what if you buy it and then you can't get in to the gigs you want to see? :/

same here ...but if I'm trolling all the way down to the smoke I need a bit more info, and a guarantee I'll get to see the band/s I want .The thought of seeing Doves in a small venue is a great incentive, but not if you've got to queue all day to be sure of getting in... Mad
Back to top Go down
TexasElbowFan
newborn
newborn

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 31 Jul 2009, 02:27

I think that Doves are great. I have enjoyed all of their albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doves - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doves
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next