elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doves

Go down 
+43
Dano
neil68
lucky with disease
Misspelt Yoof
oneofthethree
TexasElbowFan
redliz2
Cestriansteve
Kim
ChrisMcW
calypso
Mr Woman
ticky
mrswoman
nikkijaydee
David Hasselhoff
bluejayway
nellie
Glendarian
yesman
LongLegs
WOBLEwoble
My Bury Vest
Emma G
sparky
Dikky
Mr_K
Grant
Leo
TamedLamia
MagicalTrevor
takemeanywhere
MrsMagicalTrevor
TDA
Robeman
Ted
Skeletor
leespoons
Jonny
Hotblack
Calum
Dabamash
asleepintheback
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009, 10:50

Nice one Lee, knew you'd get there in the end !! Really looking forward to the album when it comes out, eh, typing this out and what comes on 6music, Kingdom Of Rust !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TamedLamia
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
TamedLamia

Female Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009, 10:58

They played "Kingdom of Rust" on our local indierockstation yesterday Very Happy
Really beautiful track, reminds me a bit on "Days of pearly Spencer" by David McWilliams and "Deadeye" by New Model Army... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.katrins-elbow-site.de.vu
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009, 13:09

TamedLamia wrote:
They played "Kingdom of Rust" on our local indierockstation yesterday Very Happy
Really beautiful track, reminds me a bit on "Days of pearly Spencer" by David McWilliams and "Deadeye" by New Model Army... Smile

New Model Army! Crikey. I haven't heard that name mentioned for a looong time. A band I always admired for their steadfast independence and sheer cussedness, rather than their music, which was fine, but not a favourite of mine. I've just looked on the web and can't believe they are still going, probably because Justin is just too bloodyminded to give up. This pleases me for some reason.

Back on topic, I like Kingdom of Rust, Jetstream and Winter Hill a lot and am really looking forward to the album.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 06 Apr 2009, 23:20

off to see them in Delamere Forest soon. GREAT SITE FOR A GREAT BAND flower

Last edited by WOBLEwoble on Tue 07 Apr 2009, 10:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LongLegs
friend of ours
friend of ours
LongLegs

Female Number of posts : 489
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 07 Apr 2009, 10:05

The Delamere gig is going to be amazing, I can't wait.
Winter Hill is an anthem, it will echoing across summer festivals everywhere.
It's also wonderful to hear Jez sing on Jetsream and Compulsion, they should hand him the mic more often!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/music_versus_mines
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Male Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 13:47

On the strength of the recommendation from Elbow, I thought I would check this band out , having not really heard much previously.

Got their latest CD "Kingdom of Rust" this morning.

Very impressed !!! More rockier than Elbow overall, but with enough variation of tune to make for a really good listen.

Standout track on first play is Spellbound which kind of left me a bit, well....spellbound !

A lot is being said that this could be their year...I tend to agree !
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 11 Apr 2009, 19:23

Listened to Kingdom of Rust last night on my journey from Mansfield to Harrogate. Every car around me must have heard it belting out. Agree it is much rockier than Elbow - but Guy's lyrics still the best. Can't wait for their next tour.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009, 06:29

Heard the album a couple of times now, I may have to *gasp* go and buy it. Brilliant.

(you're right though WOBLEwoble - great name! Welcome to the board - you can't beat Guy's lyrics)
Back to top Go down
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 10:10

I've just been listening to Kingdom of Rust again, having seen them on Jools Holand last night. I realise I sound like a heretic here Wink but I can't really get into them in a big way despite feeing I ought to and trying (I've also had Lost Souls for ages). However I've just realised what it is - I do like them musically but I think it's Jimi's voice that just doesn't do it for me... Am I on my own here...? Shocked
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 10:19

Sounds like you are Glendarian, I've yet to bu KOR due to funds, I've heard 3 or 4 tracks from it and they sound superb to me..... I'm a big, big fan and can't wait to see them again a week on Sunday !! Jimi's voice resonates beautifully with me......Lost Souls is just one lush and atmospheric masterpiece in my eyes, still their best work to me.
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 10:23

Glendarian wrote:
I've just been listening to Kingdom of Rust again, having seen them on Jools Holand last night. I realise I sound like a heretic here Wink but I can't really get into them in a big way despite feeing I ought to and trying (I've also had Lost Souls for ages). However I've just realised what it is - I do like them musically but I think it's Jimi's voice that just doesn't do it for me... Am I on my own here...? Shocked
No you're not on your own. I have the first three studio albums. My favourite is the first 'Lost Souls'. It has more variety than the others. I hardly ever play them any more even though I've tried and tried. I just find them a little less than dynamic and I too am not keen on the vocals either. To me they come across in a rather bland wash. As I say, there's a lack of dynamics...........For me at least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
Glendarian
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Glendarian

Female Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 10:58

Sorry MBV Smile It's obvoiusly a personal thing.

Hotblack I agree with you but in fairness I've found KOR to be the most dynamically varied of what I've heard by them. Although it still has a bit of that samey feel... for me. Mind you I've not liked vocals before and (provided the songwriting/music is good enough) gone from getting used to them through to ultimately loving them (Kate Bush was one example a long time ago. Not that I'm saying she sounds like Jimi Goodwin you understand Laughing) so I wont give up yet!
Back to top Go down
Hotblack
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Hotblack

Male Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 11:12

Maybe I need to try the new album then. I'd sorta given up because of the last two albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.davidjwhitephotography.co.uk/index.html
nellie
friend of ours
friend of ours
nellie

Female Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 17:23

Glad its not just me that hasn't really got into them. I've got all their albums including K.O.R, and I do like bits of all of them, but just never felt they are as good as people say they are. I've always felt they were a band I should really love but I dont, I just think they're ok. Neutral
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 20:06

I have recently registered on the members forum which is on the main Doves web site.

Observations:

1. This forum is much better in terms of layout and general look and feel

2. Reading some of the threads, there seem to be a few obnoxious argumentative idiots (minority but does ruin things a tad)

3. There are over 13,000 registered users !!

Whilst I am not suggesting that this forum should be in those numbers (it has only been going a year) however it does make me wonder why there is such a big difference.

Could part of this be that it is on the main Doves web site and easier to find for potential new members ?

I know Elbow is still a relatively well kept secret despite the recent well-deserved recognition and has a nice and friendly forum..but I am sure there is still a big untapped potential for this forum (or do we want to keep it small and intimate maybe ?)

Just a thought
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 20:14

They were great on Later... last night. The quality of their sound live is tempting me to see them in May. Quite enjoyed it last night Noisettes and Marianne Faithfull = Superb, and the other two acts, especially the French band (I forget the name) were great.
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 20:21

bluejayway wrote:
They were great on Later... last night. The quality of their sound live is tempting me to see them in May. Quite enjoyed it last night Noisettes and Marianne Faithfull = Superb, and the other two acts, especially the French band (I forget the name) were great.

Yes I watched it and today again on i-player. Good stuff

I guess the Doves must have an additional keyoard player when they tour to replicate the sound they produce on record ? ( as they did on Later)

BTW The longer show is on Friday.
Back to top Go down
WOBLEwoble
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
WOBLEwoble

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 21:03

Watch out on Friday's Later... There is an American guitarist who Jools rates highly. He taught himself by listehing to many British guitarists.

Doves were great. Looking forward to more on Friday.
Back to top Go down
bluejayway
friend of ours
friend of ours

Female Number of posts : 471
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009, 21:44

WOBLEwoble wrote:
Watch out on Friday's Later... There is an American guitarist who Jools rates highly. He taught himself by listehing to many British guitarists.

Doves were great. Looking forward to more on Friday.

Yes wrote:
I watched it and today again on i-player. Good stuff

I guess the Doves must have an additional keyoard player when they tour to replicate the sound they produce on record ? ( as they did on Later)

BTW The longer show is on Friday.

Cheers guys, will defiantly be watching. I'm dead keen on the guitarist's performance too. Yeah I thought they must of added a keyboard aswell Yes.
Back to top Go down
David Hasselhoff
newborn
newborn
David Hasselhoff

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 05:12

yesman wrote:
I have recently registered on the members forum which is on the main Doves web site.

Observations:

1. This forum is much better in terms of layout and general look and feel

2. Reading some of the threads, there seem to be a few obnoxious argumentative idiots (minority but does ruin things a tad)

3. There are over 13,000 registered users !!

If you ignore #1, you will find most at doves board are a pretty decent bunch. I've met allot of them over the years. #1 is just a twat online & in person. The fact he is proclaiming to be the band's #1 fan says it all really.

The reason why there are 13,000 registered users is that the board got spammed really bad for several years there. So you will find the actual number is considerably lower. Also doves board has been around since 2002. That also explains why the board is looking rather tired these days.

Anyhow, glad you have enjoyed doves music. I love both doves & Elbow. My two fave bands, for whatever reason I never joined the Elbow community, I know there wasn't one for the longest time. Have enjoyed some great adventures with both bands over the years. Smile

Peace,

DH Wink
Back to top Go down
David Hasselhoff
newborn
newborn
David Hasselhoff

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 05:13

Ohh and yes doves have an unofficial fourth member, the keyboardist. Martin Rebelski, he's been with the band for 10 years now. You wouldn't know it by looking at him. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 08:23

I've had KOR for more than a week now and it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I am a bit surprised that it seems to be garnering such universal praise, to be honest. Still, I've been kistening to a lot of new stuff recently, so maybe KOR's charms will just take longer to register with me.
Back to top Go down
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 10:28

You have to listen to KOR with headphones, and give it some time in order to appreciate all of the subtle nuances. I found it a bit average when I first listened to it, but the more I listen, the more I appreciate all of the little things in it that makes Doves such a great band.

Get Lost Sides as well, there are some amazing songs on there.

Last edited by Dabamash on Thu 16 Apr 2009, 14:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nikkijaydee
little beast
little beast
nikkijaydee

Female Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 14:19

Dabamash wrote:
You have to listen to KOR with headphones, and give it some time in order to appreciate all of the subtle nuances.

Totally agree with this. I first listened to it in the car and wasn't too sure but then listened to it on my ipod with decent headphones and loved it!
Back to top Go down
yesman
friend of ours
friend of ours
yesman

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr 2009, 20:18

David Hasselhoff wrote:

If you ignore #1, you will find most at doves board are a pretty decent bunch. I've met allot of them over the years. #1 is just a twat online & in person. The fact he is proclaiming to be the band's #1 fan says it all really.

The reason why there are 13,000 registered users is that the board got spammed really bad for several years there. So you will find the actual number is considerably lower. Also doves board has been around since 2002. That also explains why the board is looking rather tired these days.

Anyhow, glad you have enjoyed doves music. I love both doves & Elbow. My two fave bands, for whatever reason I never joined the Elbow community, I know there wasn't one for the longest time. Have enjoyed some great adventures with both bands over the years. Smile

Peace,

DH Wink

Hey thanks to "the Hoff" for putting me right on this !!
We are not worthy !
PS Do you still keep in contact with Pammy ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doves - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doves   Doves - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doves
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next