elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.

Go down 
+4
MagicalTrevor
Mr Woman
ticky
Dabamash
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dabamash
we're away
we're away
Dabamash

Male Number of posts : 2079
Registration date : 2008-04-01

aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Empty
PostSubject: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeTue 11 May 2010, 19:51

Great. I'm moving to France.
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeTue 11 May 2010, 20:47

Fuck
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

Male Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeTue 11 May 2010, 21:07

A grim day indeed. This truly is a nation of Sun and Daily Mail readers.

Do I have to start wearing a monocle?
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 02:12

Sucks balls.

Not for me though Smile

Sorry didn't mean to be smug. We have a minority Conservative government here as well, but no-one seems to care.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 15:58

I can't see the coalition lasting, tbh. Cameron is now walking a very thin tightrope.

In seeking to appease his new Lib Dem pals, Cameron will be alienating the more rabid right-wing eurosceptic wing of his party. If he does anything to appease those nutcases, the Lib Dems could walk out on him and leave him in charge of an unsustainable minority government.

I give it a year. Tops.
Back to top Go down
fadeupyoursmile
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
fadeupyoursmile

Female Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 19:09

I'm moving to Sweeden!
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 20:43

As someone said on twitter earlier, at least now we can slag off the government without feeling slightly uneasy about it.

And as someone else said on arsebook, bad regimes produce the best art and music. It's true! Apparently.
Back to top Go down
leespoons
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
leespoons

Male Number of posts : 951

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 20:43

and no britain is NOT conservative. Only 24% of people who were eligible to vote, actually voted for them.
Back to top Go down
MagicalTrevor
administrator
administrator
MagicalTrevor

Male Number of posts : 1822

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeWed 12 May 2010, 22:02

Lee Spoons wrote:
and no britain is NOT conservative. Only 24% of people who were eligible to vote, actually voted for them.

As much as that saddens me, I can't help feeling that, as far as the abstainers are concerned, if they couldn't be bothered to vote to keep them out, they might as well have voted them in.

Having said that, I didn't vote. But that was because of the ludicrous postal vote system for ex-pats.

Still, a sad day for all concerned.
Back to top Go down
http://elbow.heavenforum.com
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeThu 13 May 2010, 11:12

Lee Spoons wrote:
Even fewer voted for Labour. So should they still be in power?

I blame Labour. Seriously.

For about 8 or 9 years Labour, aided by a healthy global economy, did huge amounts of good for this country. They made a lot of mistakes, but in general schools got better, hospitals got better, Britain became more compassionate. The country was a better place to live.
Then they fell into the trap that snares almost all who are in power too long, they began to believe their own spin (and boy there was a lot) and they stopped connecting with many of the people who swept them to power. They sucked up to the City big time (it was SO Tory) and did stuff like reduce capital gains tax.
The there is the Iraq war. A Labour government took us to war to bolster the ego of Bush! This alone was enough to kick them out.

Labour needs to sort itself out, and really re-evaluate what it stands for in the modern world. I'm not certain David Miliband is the one to do this, I'm certain Ed Balls is not, but whoever becomes leader needs to be a man of vision who is not afraid to stand for the principles of the party, rather than constantly react to public opinion to chase down votes.

So we've got a Libertory government. Not great, but possibly a damn site better than the Tory majority I'd pretty much resigned myself to last Thursday. What about the Rainbow coalition I hear you cry? Labour simply lacked either the vision or stomach for it, and to be frank the numbers did not stack up. A minority government? Chaos and another election in 3 months! (And probably a Tory majority this time). No thanks.

There is a reasonable summary on the BEEB of what has been compromised by whom to form this government. One eye-opener is the verdict on health, which the BBC class as a Tory win because they want to ringfence NHS spending whereas the LibDems wanted it reviewed!

This perhaps provides the key as to why this coalition of apparent ideological opposites might work. This parliament is all about the economy, and that is one of the areas where LibDems are perhaps closer to Tories than Labour. They believe in an economy (and a wider society) that is as free as possible state interference and in a smaller, more agile state. Whether or not they can really work together, time will tell. Make no mistake, whoever was in power; the next couple of years are going to be brutal.

I'm afraid we are cursed to be living in interesting times.
Back to top Go down
Mr Woman
tower crane driver
tower crane driver
Mr Woman

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeThu 13 May 2010, 12:14

As far as the leadership of the Labour Party is concerned, I would like to see a partnership of an experienced old head, such as Ed Balls allied with a new up-and-coming leader of the future; my MP John Woodcock, for example; unproven, untried, but definitely one to watch.

Woodcock and Balls is all I have to say.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 15:23

The best i heard was the new coalition descirbed as the CLEGG-ONS. Laughing

Surely those who voted liberal must be going bananas ?
How can a middle of the road party suddenly facilitate the whipping and hanging brigade. I'd rather the tories had tried to govern with a minority government and then they would still have had to compromise to get legislation through.
Lib Dems are major sell outs in my humble opinion. It surely can't last. Did you see the leaders on the telly, i think its gay love or something - wait til the honeymoons over !
Back to top Go down
ticky
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
ticky

Female Number of posts : 1695
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 16:04

or the CON-DEMS
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 16:26

ChrissyBoy wrote:
The best i heard was the new coalition descirbed as the CLEGG-ONS. Laughing
Surely those who voted liberal must be going bananas ?
How can a middle of the road party suddenly facilitate the whipping and hanging brigade. I'd rather the tories had tried to govern with a minority government and then they would still have had to compromise to get legislation through.
Lib Dems are major sell outs in my humble opinion. It surely can't last. Did you see the leaders on the telly, i think its gay love or something - wait til the honeymoons over !

Well I voted LibDem and I'm not going bananas - for the reasons outlined in my previous post. If we got a conservative majority government the lurch to the right would be unstoppable. As it is we have a government that is going to tax air travel, get rid of ID cards, offer a referendum on electoral reform, give schools more money to take on pupils from poor backgrounds. As I said, not great, but the best of a bad situation. No, my anger is aimed at the Labour party. They are the ones that have let me down. Prior to this election I had never voted anything other than Labour, but the party has lost its moral authority years ago. I'm repeating myself, but the Iraq war FFS! I guess I'm so angry because they have betrayed their principles - and I see no-one in the party to lead them out of the wilderness right now.

Billy Bragg, that old Red Wedger, agrees with me on the LibDems I think. See what he says here.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 17:56

of course Mr K - everyone entitled to their views - and i agree with a lot of your points.
But the Lib Dems - What happened to anti Trident ? - no to immediate £6bn budget cuts ? - What public services are going to get put to the sword (including education - classroom assistants etc). Fitting up the vote of confidence rules to ensure they are immoveable for five years.
I do accept there are some positives you could take as a Lib Dem supporter but surely there are a lot of ethical issues that i thought the liberals stood for and were a main stay of their principles.

I know politicians are all the same, but it doesn't sit comfortably.

(Should add that in Scotland we detest the tories with a vengeance after Thatcher and poll tax and every other thing they stand for Laughing , and many would have voted liberal to keep them out of power - yet now they are cosied up)
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 22:02

I agree with you as well ChrissyBoy. I guess since I am not really a natural LibDem voter the discarding of principles doesn't really hurt. I suppose the saying "if you hug a chimney sweep you're gonna get covered in soot" is appropriate.

As far as Trident goes - it's yet another policy that Labour should be pursuing, oh well.

On a lighter note I heard a joke from the Labour MP Tom Harris which you might like.
"I was walking along the clifftop the other day when I came across a Tory and a LibDem hanging from the edge. What a dilemma - who to push off the cliff first? I decided it had to be the Tory, after all business before pleasure!"

Decent chap, Tom Harris
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitimeSat 15 May 2010, 14:55

That sums it up pretty well Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.   aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

aannnnddd, Britain is Conservative.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
elbow room only :: welcome to elbow room only :: the hole (in the neighbourhood)-
Jump to: