elbow room only
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
elbow room only

A community forum for fans of the mercury prize winning manchester band

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Goldfrapp - new album

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Goldfrapp - new album Empty
PostSubject: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010, 17:33

I'm certain there was a thread on Alison & Will, but I cannot find it so apologies if I'm duplicating.

Anyway, I've always enjoyed Goldfrapp's stuff, the hard, sexy glam stomps, the fragile ethereal songs and the cinematic soundscapes - I love it all.

So it is good news to read that a new album is nearly ready and out in March - Head First it is called.

Here's the album cover.
Goldfrapp - new album Goldfrapp-headfirst150-517x517

<Edit>Just read this PR from their record label. "‘Head First' is Goldfrapp's most powerful trip to date, a speedy rush of synth optimism, euphoria, fantasy and romance. With life affirming lyrics and stellar production it lifts off at full tilt and takes us on a journey to the heart of 2010."
Which tells you nothing LOL. Fingers crossed they keep up the standard.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 17:41

I liked the last two albums, never bought the one before that. I remember seeing them on some festival highlihghts somewhere with Alison wearing a tail ???? and thigh length boots - interesting Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jones
we're away
we're away
Jones

Female Number of posts : 2266
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan 2010, 10:59

Ah yes, the famous tail! Smile
Yeah, I do like her stuff, so will probably give this a bash!
Back to top Go down
My Bury Vest
leader of the free world
leader of the free world
My Bury Vest

Male Number of posts : 1377
Registration date : 2009-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan 2010, 11:46

Oooh, Karen O, Alison Goldfrapp, My Bury Vest and a hot steaming jacuzzi..............

Back to staring out of the window at a grey mancunian skyline. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 13:04

OK, shiny new CD arrived today, and...

Well before I give my initial impressions I have to say that Goldfrapp, like Elbow, have earned a huge amount of goodwill from me over the years so whilst having high expectations, I am predisposed to liking anything Alison and Will make. With that in mind...

Head First certainly isn't Seventh Tree. It also doesn't have any of the cinematic masterpieces like "Pilots" or "Time Out from the World" that they do so well and I love so much. No, Head First is day-glo, hands in the air, happy pop, all fat Moroder synths and Hi-NRG bass. Sound a bit 80's? You bet.

1st track "Rocket" opens like Ladyhawke, but then the full "Jump" synth line kicks in, and the whole thing is just so propulsive, retro, artificial and yet joyous that you can't help but be carried along. Alison is obviously in a happy place, and you can hear that on the album. I love it, but might just as easily hate it next week.
"Believer" is all Depeche Mode style synths with a big (more accurately, absolutely massive) Fleetwood Mac style chorus. I like this too, for now.
Track 3 - "Alive". A bit more 70's than 80's this. Think ABBA versus ELO. Seriously. It should be awful, but maybe my critical radar is shot because of Alison's voice cos I like this too.
Track 4 - "Dreaming" - and a return to the 80's Fleetwood Mac style choruses.
The title track - bloody hell - who put an ABBA song on there? Possibly the best ABBA song ever, but still...
Melodically there are hints of "Seventh Tree" in here, which is nice.
Track 6's title - "Hunt" - sounds like it could have come from "Black Cherry" and the track certainly harks back to that album too, a bit darker, a bit sexier, a bit more Goldfrapp to be honest. Still in thrall of the 80s though.
"Shiny and Warm" also has echoes of Goldfrapp's past, this time Supernature. Squelchy and bouncy bass lines are almost childlike, Alison's breathy vocals are most definitely not. Good fun
Wooah, here come Fleetwood Mac again. Mrs K is gonna love this, she has a soft spot for the Mac. "I Wanna Life" (awful title) is shameless, euphoric and catchy as hell.
The album ends with "Voicething" which is all looping sounds, atmosphere and ethereal voices, carried on a synth pulse to outer space.

And that's it. A 37 minute rush of primary colours, determinedly retro beats and fun. It has none of the po-faced seriousness of, say, Delphic, it is just a sugar rush of an album.
In other hands Head First could be awful, but Will and Alison manage to fit just enough "otherness" and Goldfrapp sensibility into proceedings to create an enjoyable experience.

It frankly knocks the Goldfrapp wannabes such as La Roux and Little Boots into next week, but is still Goldfrapp's weakest record so far.
Without doubt the best 80's inspired pop record to date. The only trouble is do we really need another one of those?

I like it though.
Back to top Go down
ChrissyBoy
leader of the free world
leader of the free world

Male Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 18:49

Haven't downloaded yet, must admit i was slightly put off on the first track preview with the Van-Halen synth....

However, for a fiver it will probably go in the collection, It does sound quite upbeat - and no doubt a catchy grower. I agree with the Fleetwood Mac / Abbaesque impression on those tracks.

The only thing I'm not sure about is that the last couple of albums were kinda of pretty cool.... and this seems on first impression slightly cheesy in an 80's kind of way. But then maybe there's just enough of a Goldfrapp edge in places to get away with it.

Evertything seems so 80's at the moment though, I even noticed that some of the summer trousers/jeans have the elasticated bottoms - Dya rememeber them Laughing I had a pair or two of the baggy ones Embarassed

Anyway, off to download. (and grow my hair at the back ?)
Back to top Go down
Mr_K
friend of ours
friend of ours
Mr_K

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar 2010, 10:10

ChrissyBoy the record isn't slightly cheesy, it is piled high with the stuff. It is, however, quality cheese (mainly mozzarella, fine cheddar and perhaps a bit of roquefort) and I think that a varied diet that includes a bit of cheese is good for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goldfrapp - new album   Goldfrapp - new album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Goldfrapp - new album
Page 1 of 1